• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Slate tile

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If you mean real stone like flagstone, I have it. It's fine. Like any porous stone, you need to put a sealer on it.

loboloco

Slate tile, as they used in the old days you wil need to be very careful. That stuff is slippery when wet. Almost like walking on ice.

SShepherd

yup, 12"x12" slate tile. I know about all the sealing stuff, as we alreagy have tile but it's time to replace it.
Some dude quoted my wife at $10/sq.ft., odd that i can find it for $4 and less on the net if I pick it up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where are you going to put this slate tile?

I don't like it on floors myself. It feels cold in the winter (and I have a heated basement just below it). It's also completely unforgiving for whatever you drop on it. You drop plates, Chinette or glass on it, plan on cleaning up a completely shattered mess.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
It also varies in thickness quite a bit, so it's a little tricky to get a nice even floor.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It also varies in thickness quite a bit, so it's a little tricky to get a nice even floor.

Not only in thickness, but consistency in size. The lower priced stuff will have the tiles vary in size by more than enough to drive any installer crazy or have an inexperienced installer end up with a complete disaster.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It makes a hell of a good roof shingle. I would not want a floor from it.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It makes a hell of a good roof shingle. I would not want a floor from it.
Me neither.

Low price does not necessarily mean the same quality.

Why does everyone think the contractor is out to screw them? If you think the guy is cheating you, hire someone else. Also, keep in mind his TIME has value...ordering, picking up, fighting with the supplier over bad pieces, etc. Check out references by calling and also by visiting places the contractor has installed the same material. Nobody is perfect. The value in a contractor lies in how he fixes problems. Making a profit gives the contractor leeway to make call backs. If he can't make a profit, don't expect service after the sale. Most folks don't understand that part of hired out work.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Where are you going to put this slate tile?

I don't like it on floors myself. It feels cold in the winter (and I have a heated basement just below it). It's also completely unforgiving for whatever you drop on it. You drop plates, Chinette or glass on it, plan on cleaning up a completely shattered mess.

My mom's house had slate as a floor covering from the front door along the living room heading to the kitchen, maybe 20' x 4'. Varying size rectangular pieces. Sorta bumpy. Cold. Not particularly attractive where it was installed.

I'd never do it.

SShepherd

Me neither.

Low price does not necessarily mean the same quality.

Why does everyone think the contractor is out to screw them? If you think the guy is cheating you, hire someone else. Also, keep in mind his TIME has value...ordering, picking up, fighting with the supplier over bad pieces, etc. Check out references by calling and also by visiting places the contractor has installed the same material. Nobody is perfect. The value in a contractor lies in how he fixes problems. Making a profit gives the contractor leeway to make call backs. If he can't make a profit, don't expect service after the sale. Most folks don't understand that part of hired out work.

WTF Jev, I never mentioned a contractor:glare:

i have an installer who will install what ever I want, thats not the issue with the price.

SShepherd

My mom's house had slate as a floor covering from the front door along the living room heading to the kitchen, maybe 20' x 4'. Varying size rectangular pieces. Sorta bumpy. Cold. Not particularly attractive where it was installed.

I'd never do it.

We have a log home, so the rustic look is better. We're thinking about it for the entryway and the kitchen

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We have it installed around the wood stove . I love the way it turned out and it gives the old Ranch house a nice rustic look . Take your time and have fun !!!

Attachments

• P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 21

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell you still have a hand crank phone! Get into the 80's at least Al.:yum::yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a log home, so the rustic look is better. We're thinking about it for the entryway and the kitchen
Iffen I was lucky enough to have a log home, I think it would be very fitting for what you are thinking about Shep . I guess if your concerned about it being perfectly level or slippery when wet then you would do like everybody else and have some high dollar contractor put down fucking cheap ass tile, wood or linolium . :whistling:

I just happen to like the rustic look myself , if someone happened to get on their knees and look at it after I installed it and say something wasn't quite right , then they would be the new owner of my boot up their but . Thats why we dont have a lot of company though . :wink: