• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grills

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I need to replace my gas grill.

The thread on lawnmowers makes me think about quality. I've had a couple of 'cheap' grills, and the current one I have, I thought was better (Kenmore) but it is a much of a POS as the rest were.

For those who are grillers: What type of grill do you have and do you like it?

Looking at the Webbers, they appear to make a nice product, but I am worried that I'd just be paying for the name...

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Larry

Seriously, you NEED to check out grills like Kitchenaid.

I've bought all my appliances from Diamond Appliance, the local Whirpool outlet store (Whirlpool HQ'd in Benton Harbor, MI)

We are talking real 304 stainless steel, of heavy gage. No plastic.

Here's a pic of the one I had before the one I have now. The one I have now has warming drawer and a storage drawer on the left side, and a double side burner.

The one below had a price on it of about $3000 new, had a price of $750 at the outlet, and I picked up for $500. Was a demonstrator. But as new.

This is not the junk you buy at Home Depot or places like that. This one will last forever.

Might be worth the drive. In fact, one of the guys in the office is wanting me to pick one up for him. If you want, I can get pix of what they have now. They told me they have about 20 grills to move. They also told me they have a like new 48" grill, double side burner, warming drawers, and fridge unit. maybe my present one will be for sale!

Attachments

• 100_3260 (Small).JPG
    100_3260 (Small).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3275 (Small).JPG
    100_3275 (Small).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3273 (Small).JPG
    100_3273 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3270 (Small).JPG
    100_3270 (Small).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 54

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Way too much machine for me, Fred.

I'm looking for a small unit: 2-3 main burners, no side burners - I never used the ones I had. No need for a fridge, warmer or any of that crap. Just a good quality grill.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Way too much machine for me, Fred.

I'm looking for a small unit: 2-3 main burners, no side burners - I never used the ones I had. No need for a fridge, warmer or any of that crap. Just a good quality grill.

OK, but another suggestion - if you like steaks, pork chops, etc on the grill, whatever you buy, get something with the 3rd burner being a seer burner. OMFG, you can not believe how good steak is cooked with a seer burner.

The seer burner is supper hot, and radiant, and sounds like a jet engine when on. 30 seconds on each side of the steak over the seer burner "shells" the steak, and all the juices - 100% - stay inside when you cook it the rest of the way over the regular burners after the seer.

Talk about about a great steak!

The one on the pic and the one I have now have seer burners.

A pic of the seer burner (right burner):

Attachments

• 100_3269 (Small).JPG
    100_3269 (Small).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 54

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Those things go for over $650, right? And no seer burner. If Diamond has a KitchenAid all stainless demo grill for 500, with seer burner, would you consider it?

I am stopping by there on Friday to see if the maybe-soon-to-be-Fred's mega-grill is in. I'll take pics of what else they have and send them to you if you can hang on to your britches.

I obviously like stainless..........

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally spent the bucks on a Weber grill last year and boy was it worth it. No more hot spots. Able to turn off just the center burner for indirect cooking. It makes grilling so much nicer. Many might look like a Weber and I try to save bucks wherever I can but no grill I've ever cooked on comes close by comparison. I've had my last cheaper grill. I'll never go back to them again. The Weber was so worth the bucks we paid for it.

Edit to add:
I got one for the houseboat first. A weber Q. It worked out so well I bought one for the house soon after.
Here is a link to the Weber 320 Q
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-586002-Portable-Outdoor-Propane/dp/B000WOVZ26/ref=sr_1_1?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1303225553&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Weber 586002 Q 320 Portable Outdoor Propane Gas Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

So I bought this one for the house. I've very happy with both of these grills. If the 320Q had 4 wheels I would have bought it for the house also, as it were moving it from the garage to outside was a pain, so I got the true patio model with 4 wheels.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4421001-Spirit-Grill-Black/dp/B001H1NGZC/ref=sr_1_3?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1303225807&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Weber 4421001 Spirit E-310 LP Gas Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I need to go to Fred's for lessons in grilling... he speaks words I like to hear....

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Those things go for over $650, right? And no seer burner. If Diamond has a KitchenAid all stainless demo grill for 500, with seer burner, would you consider it?

I am stopping by there on Friday to see if the maybe-soon-to-be-Fred's mega-grill is in. I'll take pics of what else they have and send them to you if you can hang on to your britches.

I obviously like stainless..........

I would consider it.

Other than your recommendation (which has weight) I have never seen or heard of a Kitchenaid grill. Are they like the other Kitchenaid, Whirpool, Maytag and Kenmore products that are all made by the same manufacturer? My current grill is a Kenmore, I figured it was a quality unit. It definitely was not.

I don't want junk any more. That's why I'm considering dropping $750 for the Webber...

This will be an outdoor grill. Meaning it will live outside all summer, rain or shine. It may move to the garage in the winter...

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Weber similar to the one shown but with a side burner which I do use often. I've had mine now going on 8 years and still works great every time. I also have a box smoker unknown brand that works with both gas or charcoal that I paid less than a $100 for. I've had it almost as long with no problems either.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last year we got a Weber Summit S-420 SS Gas Grill Natural Gas. Didn't do a lot of researching on it but got it free through an awards program. It has worked flawlessly and I love the direct connect natural gas so I don't have to mess with propane tanks anymore. It sits outside even in the winter as we use it now and then in the winter.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I use mine all winter, too. That's why I say "It may move to the garage in the winter... "

This is also probably the reason my current grill didn't last. Chinese crap frame rusted away to nothing in three years.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Larry I have a post mounted grill, which I know you're not looking for. But the company I bought at has others too. The post mount are hard to find that are for NG. Anyway, I bought one from a Modern Home Products dealer. This thing is well built. They even have a blurb on their site that one family is using the one they bought in 1964.
Mine has aluminum grates, two burners and aluminum shell.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Are they like the other Kitchenaid, Whirpool, Maytag and Kenmore products that are all made by the same manufacturer? My current grill is a Kenmore, I figured it was a quality unit. It definitely was not.

I can not speak to Kenmore - a product made for Sears.

KitchenAid is owned by Whirlpool. As well as JennAir. My entire kitchen is KitchenAid (built in fridge, 2 drawer dishwasher, wine cooler, ice maker) or JennAir (stove and micro). (I posted pix on NCT and maybe here too). This is not Kenmore junk.

I would not consider a KitchenAid grill to be anything like a Kenmore. The three I've owned have been 100% stainless, except for the heat deflector plates. The rest of the grill are what I believe to be 304 Stainless. The finish on the welds is superb. The metal itself must be at least 0.010" thicker than anything else I've ever seen on a Weber. I keep mine outside 100% of the time, covered with a vinyl cover my wife made, when not in use.

Why have I had three grills you might ask? When I bought the place in Michigan, I bought a wpos "stainless" and metal "Commercial" grill at Home Depot. Don't remember what brand, but at the time, it was the best. Like I said, wpos and I gave it away. I bought a plain 3 burner 36" demo KitchenAid for $500.00. I had it for two years, but then while shopping for kitchen appliances, I spotted a 36" with a side burner and a seer burner. That's the one you see in the picture. I bought it for $750.00. I put my 1st one on craigslist, and within an hour, I had it sold to a Whirlpool engineer for $750.00! And I kept the rotissiere (sp!). I had it only a year, when I spotted the 36" with warming drawer and two side burners for $1200. I bought it, and sold sold the 2nd one for $1200.00 on craigslist, again, within a couple of hours. Kind a like 2-foot-itiss with boats. Hoping to get the mutha of all grills soon and sell my current one. The cheapest KitchenAid grill lists for something like $3,500, and the mutha-of-all-grills is in the $6,000 range.

These grills are not cheap junk; they are truly high quality tools.
I'll take a whole bunch of pics this weekend of my current one, hopefully indicating the quality. If Diamond has any out, I'll take pix of them too.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
+1 on the Weber. Mine has been going for around 4-5 years (probably a thread on here when I was asking what to buy).

Good reliable grill. Easy to get parts and consumables for.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I can not speak to Kenmore - a product made for Sears.

KitchenAid is owned by Whirlpool. As well as JennAir. My entire kitchen is KitchenAid (built in fridge, 2 drawer dishwasher, wine cooler, ice maker) or JennAir (stove and micro). (I posted pix on NCT and maybe here too). This is not Kenmore junk.

Then you would be surprised to learn that the "Kenmore junk" you refer to (my entire kitchen/laundry is Kenmore and I am very happy with these items), is made by the same manufacturer(s) as GE, Whirpool, Maytag, et al - depending on the unit.

Kinda like saying your GMC pickup is far superior to a Chevrolet. :glare:

This is why I was so disappointed by my Kenmore grill. :angry:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually Sear's Kenmore is not made by Sear's at all. These appliances are shopped out to various manufactures to their specification. I have mostly Kenmore in my place as well, the washer and dryer are made by Maytag, the induction range by Electralux as most large stores do. I have looked at the Kenmore grilles but choose Weber and Charbroil over them which are the last two I've owned both of which lasted better than 10 years even exposed to the weather. Oh and by the way folks most major appliances are made in South Carolina regardless of the maker in a single plant. I know this because my sister in law made refrigerators, ranges, dishwashers, washer and driers by at least 10 major makers including Sear's among others.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry AV I was referring to waybombs post but he blocks my comment most of the time and I was agreeing with you. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
That's what I had at first in Michigan - a Charbroil Commercial Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel and Plastic. I gave it away. WPOS. May as well have a campfire. Prior to the Charbroil, I've had just about all the store bought brands of grills, from basic charcoal pots to multiple btu burner nice-looking models.

I'm tellin' y'all, these grills you are talking about are super if compared to one of those "Kenmore" grills, and the Sunbeams etc. The difference between the top of the line Weber to the Kenmore is the same as the KitchenAid is to the Weber. Yes, I've had Webers and my neighbor has one just like in the picture. He uses mine for steaks and chops. He may be buying my present grill.

Have you tried a KitchenAid? If not, how can you comment on it? This is the Fukashima of grills thread.

Joe - Whirlpool also owns Maytag. Does Sears make anything? And I haven't had you on ignore for some time now. Our friendly weather last night knocked out internet for me, so I couldn't debate last night. Got a lot done at home though.

AV - Yes I know the Whirlpool makes bottom line stuff and top line stuff. They make to spec. Just because they make stuff to crap spec does not mean the top of the line stuff is crap as well. It is too bad there isn't someplace nearby you could go visit carrying these products.

An indication of quality build specs - the gas control handles and trim - solid metal except for the coupling. All stainless. Even the caster frames are stainless. All the fasteners are stainless.

Just trying to help everybody make an informed decision instead of the wrong decision.

There's just a few things in life I take seriously - women, boating, cars, and grilling!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
There's a place in Wausau, WI called Ferguson Enterprises. According to the Kitchenaid website they are an 'authorized outdoor dealer'. I may just stop in there to look at what they have/offer in what I'm looking for.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Please do, and then tell everybody if I led you astray. And then get a hold of me so we can get you one for around 500-600 bucks.

And if I led you astray, I'll ban myself, no mods needed!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So I went to Diamond today and bought the mutha of all grills - 48" cooking surface with searing section, rear burner, double side burner, two fold up side shelves, warming drawers. It was put outside so nobody would buy it, so it is wet.

They didn't have any 36" grills on site, but do have some in the warehouse.

Here's a pic from today, and some other stuff they have for sale. New washing machine/drier combos for 1,400, 48" built in fridges for 2,200.

And lastly, my current grill that is now for sale.

Attachments

• 100_3406 (Small).JPG
    100_3406 (Small).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3408 (Small).JPG
    100_3408 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3409 (Small).JPG
    100_3409 (Small).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3410 (Small).JPG
    100_3410 (Small).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3411 (Small).JPG
    100_3411 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_3416 (Small).JPG
    100_3416 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3417 (Small).JPG
    100_3417 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3413 (Small).JPG
    100_3413 (Small).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3414 (Small).JPG
    100_3414 (Small).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 21

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good Fred. Is this 'Diamond' place a one of a kind or do they have stores in other states?