• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My dog is stopped up.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm curious to see if any of you have any idea what may be wrong with my dog. Yesterday evening I put the dogs in their pen and fed them. Maggy normally won't even look up from the food bowl if there is food in it. When I closed the gate, I noticed Maggy immediately go out back into the grass. I stood there and watched her acting strangely. She would take about four steps, stop, and look towards the house. Then she would take four or five more steps, stop, and look towards the house again. She did this repeatedly for about five minutes. She wasn't trying to squat, she was just walking around. I went back to the house and went back out to watch her about five minutes after that. She was still walking around and stopping, but she finally squatted for what seemed like a whole minute. When she stood back up, she quickly ran back into the pen like she felt fine. I went out into their yard with a flashlight but couldn't find any piles, fresh or old, especially where I saw her squat (they normally use the bathroom when we let them out). I went out before work this morning and woke the dogs up about 6:30am. I gave them a treat and went back to the house to watch them out a window. Sure enough, Maggy went straight out back and started doing the same thing as last night. She squatted much quicker this morning but for an extended time. I went out to their yard and found a little pile this time. It looked like diarrhea. I also found another pile about the same size that was dry, but didn't look old.
Any ideas for me before I take her to the vet? I was hoping it would clear itself up, but it may not.

Lawrence

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Take her for some long walks.. if she likes playing ball that would work too. Dogs will always poop after exercise. Check for worms too.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
kensfarm said:
Take her for some long walks.. if she likes playing ball that would work too. Dogs will always poop after exercise. Check for worms too.

Her and my other dog were out for about an hour last night running around the property. Of course that was before I noticed this problem. They will be let out again tonight after work and maybe her running around will spur something.
Thanks for the advice!

Lawrence

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On another forum I vaugley remember a thread where someone was haveing a similiar problem with their dog. The vet could not figure it out and the poor boy just kept getting worse. Ended up finding out the dog had eaten a large section of rope and it was messing with his inerds.
Could yours have eaten something she shouldn't have? An xray might tell.

Good luck figureing it out.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Could yours have eaten something she shouldn't have? An xray might tell.

It's definately possible. They both run around and do as they please for about an hour each night. She certainly could have picked up something in the woods or a neighbors yard and eaten it.

Thanks,
Lawrence

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I plan to check the dog yard when I get home from work for any signs of activity. I will then let them out and follow Maggy around to see if she squats outside of the pen.

Lawrence

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I got home last night and didn't see any signs of activity in the dog yard. I let both dogs out to run. I had to follow Maggy to the far side of the pond, but she finally squatted; pure liquid came out and it stunk! I went out this morning and found three small piles of diarrhea. I guess I will give her a few days and see if she clears up. My wife told me "we all have stomach problems every once in awhile."

Lawrence

JimR

Charter Member
A few days with the runs is not good for a dog or human being. The animal will dehydrate just like a human will. Take it to the vets.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dogs don't get constipated, but they do get blockages. If the blockage isn't removed quickly then the dog will die. Don't gamble with your dogs life. Get the dog to the veterinary immediately. You will feel horrible if you loose this dog because of your neglect. If there is only liquid passing, that is not a good sign. Check the dogs gums to see if they are still pink. If they have a whitish tint to them, then the dog is already in serious trouble with dehydration. If there is a 24 hour clinic, take the dog now..... Junk...

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Dogs don't get constipated, but they do get blockages.

That is good info to know. Thanks Junkman.
I'm sorry I forgot to post a follow-up over the weekend. Maggy has regained normal solid movements :applause: . She is acting fine again and on a normal schedule. Thanks for all your advice.

Lawrence