• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LOOKING FOR COOT ATV INFORMATION

LARRY R

I have an old COOT ATV 4X4 with a 4 cyl wisconsin engine. It is articulated and turns in the middle. I think it is from about 1960-63. I can only find leads for 1965 and up. Any interest out there?

Attachments

• P1130003.jpg
    P1130003.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 359
  • P1130005.jpg
    P1130005.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 441

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi there. Welcome to forums forums.
What a unique looking ATV. I've never seen anything like it. It sure looks uncomfortable to ride. Are you wanting information on it, trying to sell it ....or both?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen a COOT like yours. The ones I've seen were probably the newer units 1965-ish. The articulation on your unit is different than the style I'm familiar with.

Is yours a prototype/pre-production version?

We've had some posts ... quite a while back ... here at the FF about Coots. They are amazing machines but rare.

I think we've had a couple members who have had them but for the life of me I can't recall who. Not sure if they are still members, probably were Snowcat members because I think that is where I recall seeing posts? Maybe before we built up the Snowcat Forum area into the popular multi-forum area that it currently is?

Please dig around here, there is some info, but not sure if it is for the year you need.

LARRY R

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have had no luck so far on the internet, finding info on a model like this. When I bought off of a farmer in the very early 70's he called it a COOT. The brakes have never worked, but it goes so slow I don't really need them. It originally had 2 padded seats up front. This board seat is not too uncomfortable. It has never been torn apart and still always starts up. It is a crank start with a magneto. I did replace the carburetor, but it always sat outside until 2000. It originally had narrow tires and wheels. It seems like brakes and wheels are early Ford 60 something. I used to take it to the mountains. We turned it completely over once in the mountains and we did it again in the field on a hill. It still runs great. I am trying to get a valuation for it and will probably find it a new home. I built a dump box for it out of a wheelbarrow. It works great.

Attachments

• P1130004.jpg
    P1130004.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 524

LARRY R

I believe it may be a prototype and they may have been originally done here in Colorado. Not sure. I will later post a photo of the dump.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe it may be a prototype and they may have been originally done here in Colorado. Not sure. I will later post a photo of the dump.

I'd love to see a lot more detailed photos of your unit too.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have an old COOT ATV 4X4 with a 4 cyl wisconsin engine. It is articulated and turns in the middle. I think it is from about 1960-63. I can only find leads for 1965 and up. Any interest out there?

The COOT was first built in 1963, and if I'm not mistaken they were taken over by ARGO in the 70's. On Ebay they have some brochures you can pick up for the early models. They would most likely work for you.

http://allthingscoot.com/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=coot+atv

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a guy up here uses them for guiding his all have 16 to 20 hp briggs vanguard engines that wisconson seems to be over kill

LARRY R

Here are some more photos. All of the old brochures I have seen are the later models that only twisted in the middle and none had the Wisconsin engine. Makes me think it's a prototype of some kind.

Attachments

• 20160906_092311.jpg
    20160906_092311.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 329
  • 20160906_092334.jpg
    20160906_092334.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 326
  • P1130006.jpg
    P1130006.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 333
  • P1130001.jpg
    P1130001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 349

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Larry, because of the way yours is set up and because it is not like the COOT machines that I am familiar with, I asked if yours was a prototype. Honestly I would suspect that yours might just be such a thing.

I have a tractor that works like your COOT. Articulated in the middle with 4 wheel drive and the articulation is what facilitates the machines ability to turn. It has limited oscillation of, I think, 8 degrees from the rear right to the front left & visa versa. The production COOTs that I am familiar with have at least 45-degrees of oscillation between the front/rear. Your unit looks to have minimal oscillation but clearly has the ability to turn a very tight circle.

Any idea how much vertical oscillation you have from front to back on the opposing wheels? It does not look like you have much oscillation.

LARRY R

You are right about limited oscillation, not sure what it actually is. I assume it is limited by the steering. The 1965 photo is posted was taken right here in Arvada,CO and shows an even different configuration. It was given to me by a friend (deceased now) who had a machine shop and was involved in many prototype operations. In the 70's I worked with a guy who also had an even different model that as I recall looked more like the early production models. I just wish I had gotten more information back then when these people were still around to answer questions. I just marvel at how this thing still runs after years of neglect. I hope someone has some insight into what it actually is.