• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TICKS now carrying disease worse than LYMES disease

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For those folks living East of the Mississippi river and up through the Northeast US and into Eastern Canada, beware of ticks on yourself and your pets.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...n-virus/?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1443_167214660
Ticks Are Now Carrying a Virus Worse Than Lyme Disease

As the weather warms up, it's tempting to grab the family and the dogs and head out for a hike. But if you live in a few key areas, you might be putting yourself at risk of a scary disease.

According to CBS News, ticks in the Northeast and the Great Lakes area have been found to be carrying the Powassan virus. It's a rare condition that produces symptoms similar to Lyme disease, but more severe, and there's no cure.

The disease can lead to encephalitis and meningitis, and give you permanent neurological issues afterward. And it can act much more quickly than Lyme disease, giving you symptoms within hours of being bitten by a tick, according to Fox News. About 10% of cases that lead to encephalitis are fatal.

Powassan is extremely rare, having affected only 50 people in the U.S. over the past decade. In contrast, Lyme disease affects 20,000 people every year. People who work outdoors or go camping in affected areas are at a higher risk of infection.

If you want to protect yourself, government officials say you should avoid wooded and bushy areas with high grass, use bug spray and conduct a full-body tick check on yourself, your children and your pets after going outdoors.

undy

Ughh. Thanks for the really bad news.

I was (un)lucky enough to get Lyme disease several years ago, and still test inconclusive. My dogs test positive about every other year and have to be treated too.

Add that to extensive neuro problems I already have from breaking my neck as a kid, and I'm really looking forward to this new virus. Avoiding woody, brushy areas with high grass just ain't gonna happen.

Better enjoy today, because none of us get to play forever.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Father-In-Law contracted Powassan virus from an insect bite 15 years ago. It went undiagnosed for over a year until a visiting physician from Nigeria diagnosed it correctly at the Dartmouth Medical Center.

It's a vicious friggin' disease and it has taken it's toll on him. He is into his eighties now and still fighting it. According to the doctors he was supposed to be dead from this 10 years ago. He is currently a well known case study on this disease at Dartmouth College.

This disease is not picnic I will tell you that. Lyme disease is a piece of cake compared to this. What does that say?