• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Walking HADRIAN'S WALL from North Sea to Irish Sea

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR UPDATE: Leki Hiking Poles

Been using these things for a couple weeks and really loving them! Oh, for sure they have a huge drawback, they make you look like a total DORK when you are walking on the side of the road. Not much funnier than seeing some guy in a Boonie hat, shorts and hiking boots planting 'ski poles' into the asphalt while he walks.

I'm sure you are likely like me; I really could not care less what someone else thinks of my 'fashion' sense. I go for functionality and comfort. My issue is that I seriously doubt that basically a one armed man could benefit much from them.

The last time I used any ski poles I bought them. No, not because I liked them, but because I bent them. :doh: My good Wabash buddy who is my 'contract' attorney and his brother took me for my first snow skiing trip to Boyne Michigan. I figured it would be easy since I generally placed reasonably well in local water skiing tournaments. Boy, is there ever a difference!! I'm really glad this occurred about 25 years ago because I took some falls that looked like that poor schlub they always showed crashing at the beginning of "The Wide World of Sports" when they mentioned the 'agony of defeat'.

Sorry to be off your subject a bit, but it really is a story that tells you how concerned my attorney (who was the best man at my wedding) was for my safety. I should have known something was wrong when I was renting skis (I obviously did not have my own like them) and they told me (since I taught both of them how to water ski) that snow skis are just the same; start off with the longest you can get because they are the easiest to use. When I told the guy at the counter asked "What size?" I replied "Definitely the longest you have" and he said something like "Cool dude, rock on!". :ermm: For those who were like me and knew absolutely NOTHING about snow skiing, the longest snow skis are by far the fastest ones (as I learned).

I am blessed to generally pick up any athletic sport rather quickly but I just had a terrible time trying to stay up on those skis. When water skiing, you lean back and let the boat pull you. Obviously, when snow skiing you have a somewhat forward lean. So, I swallowed my pride and went to the "bunny" hill to practice. I promptly fell and forgot to let go of the rope pulling us up the little hill and caused the operator to stop the pulling rope since I tripped up 4 or 5 others behind me. :sad: In about an hour I made my first run down the bunny hill (why do they call it that anyway?) without falling so my friends immediately declared me 'ready' to go skiing. Unbeknownst to me, I was yet to have to try to stop.

First problem, the 6 person ski lift. Yup, I fell trying to get to my place and they had to stop the lift which seemed to piss everyone off. I finally got on but nobody else on the 6 person lift would pull the safety bar down. Damn if it didn't look like a looong drop if you leaned forward! :eek: So, I sort of 'ass walked' myself back into the seat further. In doing so, I accidentally hit the release on the back of the right ski on the guy just to my left. He didn't seem to want to accept my "I'm sorry man" as his ski dropped about 75' down into some pines. Then at the top, I didn't scoot off fast enough so I thought I'd just ride the lift around another cycle. Well, EXCUSE ME! I didn't know my legs would catch a rope and shut down the ski lift for the 2nd time in my very first trip up the mountain. They had to get a ladder for me to climb down.

Finally I was at the top of the mountain and ready to make my very first run. My buddies (and I use that term very loosely) told me that they were heading to the 'expert' hills and I needed to take it easy and go down the double black diamond hills until I got the hang of it. (No, I really had no clue until I started over the top and realized that I could NOT stop by jamming my poles into the ground). Let's just say that I know what that schlub on the "Agony of Defeat" felt like. Hell, it took me almost a half an hour to climb back and get both of my skis that, fortunately, had little brakes on them when they came off. The next run I made it up the lift no problem and promptly went to a single black diamond hill (I hadn't yet seen the green dot signs) and seemed like I was trying to set a land speed record since I did NOT know how to go back and forth to scrub off speed.

I caught air so much that I'm told that I was the first person EVER to knock down a snow making machine and it's pole. They were amazed that I was unhurt but I destroyed one ski and both poles along with the snow maker. Oh yeah, I was dressed in grease stained coveralls from my barn and not the slick looking cool stuff everyone else had on. Surprisingly enough, they didn't charge me for the broken skis, only the poles, and instructed me that I'd had a prank played on me and was given the shortest set of skis they had! Yeah, great friends. :hammer: I was also shown the green dot hills, which I quickly conquered and moved to the blue dot hills. However, my many spills had me quite sore and rather worn out. Still, by the time my 'friends' quit laughing and went to get their camcorder from the car to record me, I actually looked like I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately, when I got home one knee was really hurting and I had my first knee surgery to repair a torn MCL.

I've not gone snow skiing since and have not held any ski poles since either. Oh yeah, about an hour after my first tumble down that double black diamond hill we saw some guy scooting down a hill on his butt and on only one ski. Yup, it was the guy I'd accidentally removed the ski from that first trip up. I guess he didn't go after me because I absolutely slobber-knocked a ski boarder guy who was going to clobber me from behind as I was zig-zagging down the mountain. They took him away on one of those snowmobiles with a red cross on it. Yeah, when I saw we were going to collide, I did lay into him pretty hard in self defense.

Soo, ski poles; probably not for me. :whistling:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And I have to honestly say, I don't think you exaggerated that story at all.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
By the way, both of the socks that I ranked as #1, in addition to the sock ranked as #4 have the SAME padding on the bottom of the sock. My favorite is the SYNTHETIC sock, followed closely by the WOOL footie sock. I ranked both as #1. The #4 sock is actually identical to the #1 footie sock, its just got a taller cuff. As I'm doing a summer hike, I prefer the cooler synthetic and the cooler low footie wool sock. The taller wool sock ONLY dropped down to #4 in my rankings because it is a bit warmer to wear.

FWIW, I just purchased 2 more pairs of DARN TOUGH hiking socks, of a slightly different design, just to compare them to these (might be last year's design?). I also bought a pair of "POINT 6" brand socks to try out, they seem to have a design that is very similar to the DARN TOUGH in design/construction to give them a try. POINT 6 is also an American made sock.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went out for a 5 mile hike and things went bad about a mile and a half into the walk.

Started out so well. It seemed cool enough, almost no traffic, went out with my normal Keen hikers, a pair of Darn Tough wool socks, some casual khaki cotton, cotton t-shirt, cotton boxers (not briefs). Normally I will NOT wear a cotton shirt. I've pretty much switched over to "performance" clothing and away from cotton, especially for shirts and undershorts. But I figured it was cool enough that sweat accumulating wouldn't be too bad.

Turned out that sweat was not my only problem.

Like I said, about the 1.5 mile mark something big and black flew onto my leg and bit me. Honestly I didn't see much of it, I was screaming and jumping around and scaring all the birds out of the corn fields that surrounded me. I'm thinking it was a Horsefly? Felt like electrical shocks radiating around my leg from the bite.

image_zps6c54abe5.jpg

I picked up my pace to get away from the area to avoid a second bite, but the pain continued for another full mile of walking. I was already walking at a pace of 4 miles per hour but picked it up to about 4.25 mph. So now I'm walking at a very fast pace and starting to work up a serious sweat, and I've got a throbbing leg. And because I'm wearing cotton, and because the sun is starting to set, the sweat is soaking my clothing and the sun is NOT drying it. So now I'm very uncomfortable, and my leg is still hurting from the bug bite.

But I'm walking at good pace. Managed to make 5 miles in 1 hour 21 minutes.

I've been testing an "Ex Officio" sweat band. Its a $10 sweat band, which is outrageously priced. But the fabric is coated in Xylitol. Somehow, and I don't understand the chemical process, your sweat is soaked up by the material, it interacts with the Xylitol, and as it evaporates it also feels much cooler. They have shirts made of the same material, but honestly the price scared me away. That is why I figured I'd try the sweat band, at $10 I didn't think I was risking too much.

ExOfficio claims:
Icefil® treated fabric. Xylitol, a compound also found in the birch tree and mint gum, is woven into fibers and cools skin up to five degrees upon contact with moisture, which is efficiently wicked away to the fabric surface.

I'll give a full write up in the future about my impressions of various performance shirts, etc. But one thing I have done is pretty much sworn off of COTTON clothing for most hiking. No cotton undershorts, no cotton shirts, and while I prefer nylon hiking shorts I will wear cotton for casual hikes.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Went out for a 5 mile hike and things went bad about a mile and a half into the walk.

Started out so well. It seemed cool enough, almost no traffic, went out with my normal Keen hikers, a pair of Darn Tough wool socks, some casual khaki cotton, cotton t-shirt, cotton boxers (not briefs). Normally I will NOT wear a cotton shirt. I've pretty much switched over to "performance" clothing and away from cotton, especially for shirts and undershorts. But I figured it was cool enough that sweat accumulating wouldn't be too bad.

Turned out that sweat was not my only problem.

Like I said, about the 1.5 mile mark something big and black flew onto my leg and bit me. Honestly I didn't see much of it, I was screaming and jumping around and scaring all the birds out of the corn fields that surrounded me. I'm thinking it was a Horsefly? Felt like electrical shocks radiating around my leg from the bite.

image_zps6c54abe5.jpg

I picked up my pace to get away from the area to avoid a second bite, but the pain continued for another full mile of walking. I was already walking at a pace of 4 miles per hour but picked it up to about 4.25 mph. So now I'm walking at a very fast pace and starting to work up a serious sweat, and I've got a throbbing leg. And because I'm wearing cotton, and because the sun is starting to set, the sweat is soaking my clothing and the sun is NOT drying it. So now I'm very uncomfortable, and my leg is still hurting from the bug bite.

But I'm walking at good pace. Managed to make 5 miles in 1 hour 21 minutes.

I've been testing an "Ex Officio" sweat band. Its a $10 sweat band, which is outrageously priced. But the fabric is coated in Xylitol. Somehow, and I don't understand the chemical process, your sweat is soaked up by the material, it interacts with the Xylitol, and as it evaporates it also feels much cooler. They have shirts made of the same material, but honestly the price scared me away. That is why I figured I'd try the sweat band, at $10 I didn't think I was risking too much.

ExOfficio claims:
Icefil® treated fabric. Xylitol, a compound also found in the birch tree and mint gum, is woven into fibers and cools skin up to five degrees upon contact with moisture, which is efficiently wicked away to the fabric surface.

I'll give a full write up in the future about my impressions of various performance shirts, etc. But one thing I have done is pretty much sworn off of COTTON clothing for most hiking. No cotton undershorts, no cotton shirts, and while I prefer nylon hiking shorts I will wear cotton for casual hikes.

Cool, you're training for the swamp phase of Ranger School with the bug bite/sting. Five weeks with no change of clothes or ever getting dry in the Everglades under hard physical work will be a breeze for you. Me, I'd just stay on the helicopter and say "fail me".

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool, you're training for the swamp phase of Ranger School with the bug bite/sting. Five weeks with no change of clothes or ever getting dry in the Everglades under hard physical work will be a breeze for you. Me, I'd just stay on the helicopter and say "fail me".

I'm a giant weenie when it comes to pain. No way I'd make it through Ranger school.

Heck a fly bite had me dancing around like a nancy-boy last evening. I'm glad it was not any worse than it was, my wife got one about a week ago and her leg had a 6" circular welt around the bite the next day. I'm lucky, just a red mark where the darn thing bit me, nothing worse.

I never bother with insect repellent when going out for my hikes, never had a problem before last night. Its rare that I'm out at dusk when the misquotes come out, sometimes we go out before dawn, but no bug issues then. Sometimes we are out after dark and the headlamp will attract moths and other night bugs, but nothing has bitten me at night (yet).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
EQUIPMENT UPDATE:

Point 6 brand hiking socks (low)

Here is another premium hiking sock, from another American Company (Boulder, Colorado) that caters to hikers, campers, hunters, runners, bike riders and other athletes with specific types of socks for specific uses.

image_zps615f4314.jpg

Most hiking socks are pretty tight fitting over the top of the foot to prevent the sock from shifting and padded at the bottom of the foot for some additional padding and shock absorption. The Point 6 sock is no different, but it does it with a slight twist. They also have elastic under the arch of your foot. They seem to fit looser than the DARN TOUGH socks. I've only worn them one time, so far so good. But as they are brand new I'd really prefer to hold my real judgement on if this is another winner until after I've got 20 or 30 miles in them, instead of just a single 5 mile hike.

But, I will say, they look promising. I'm just not convinced they will not slip around too much on my feet under a longer trail, with a load on my back. Time will tell. So far, I'm still sold on the DARN TOUGH socks as the best.

==============

EQUIPMENT UPDATE:

MICRO-FIBER HAND TOWEL
Super absorbent, ultra-light weight, quick drying.

Here is the towel I carry, within reach, when hiking. Its made by SEA AND SUMMIT but there are quite a few brands out there that offer similar towels. This is the X-Small size, its about 1' by 2' and this is the thickest model they make, its their TEK towel. They make 3 different weights (thicknesses) of towels. The thinner they are the quicker they dry, but also they less they absorb. A large towel will dry you after a shower, even if you get the thinnest style.

This little towel is used to wipe the sweat from my head, eyes, neck while hiking and I rinse and dry it overnight. It wrings out easily and dries quickly. I like that all their towels have a loop attached at one of the corners and allow you to hook them to a caribiner or belt and will dry while you are walking if allowed to hang off your waist.

image_zps9e7c7561.jpg

For travel or packing, they do come with their own mesh mini-compression sack, which is a nice feature.

image_zps3861e8c6.jpg

I'm not saying the SEA AND SUMMIT brand is the best brand out there, its the one I own.

There are lots of similar towels on the market and I can't imagine there is much difference between the brands. There is, however, a difference between the weights of the materials and how much they absorb. So depending on your needs/desires, pick the material weight and the towel size that will suit your needs best.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
EQUIPMENT UPDATE: POINT 6 light hiking sock ~ meh ~

Well I am officially LESS impressed with this sock after another outing.

Oh its a pretty good sock. It would probably rank #4 in my listing of my top 4 favorites. But its NOT as good as any of the DARN TOUGH socks and it is NOT as good as the CABELA'S IN-GENIUS light hiker either.

The reason is that it fits too loose in the toe box and allows the ball of your foot to slip a little inside your shoe. I have the same complaint about the heel cup, but to a slightly lesser degree. Bear in mind I'm testing these socks with just about 3 pounds of gear in a waist pack and am complaining. Toss on a 25# backpack and I'd probably be screaming about these socks. If they can't remain snug and firm during light weight 5 mile treks while wearing a little fanny pack then there is no way that they will be on my feet when I do a 10 or 15 mile day wearing a 25# pack, camera gear, water bladder, etc.

At $15 to $20 a pair the POINT 6 socks cost too damn much to throw in the trash so I will continue to wear them from time to time. But honestly my sincere hope is that the lovely Mrs_Bob's magic washing machine shrinks the toe box area of these socks about 15% but leaves arch and the cuff in tact, then shrinks the heel cup about 5%. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

FWIW, my shoe size is a 10.5 D. I purchased a Men's Large POINT 6 sock which, according to their 'sizing chart' is the right sock for people with a shoe size range from 9 to 11.5 and the sock package was correctly labeled as a LARGE. The fit feels good in the length so there is no complaint there.

When you buy technical hiking socks you buy them to keep them from shifting around on your feet under heavy loads on uneven terrain. Becaause of that they design the socks with multiple areas of different intensities of elasticity. Your toes can't be crushed, but the toe box area can't slip around, the arch area is typically snugged up pretty tight, the heel is often divided into up to 3 different areas of woven material to keep its shape and to keep it from shifting. The key with hiking socks are they need to perform several different things very well. Prevent blisters by acting as a barrier between your foot and the boot. Wick moisture away from your foot, and wool is great at that, but so are some of the CoolMax and DryMax synthetic blend materials used by many companies. The sock should provide some cushion, but hikers will eternally argue over how much, which is why the companies offer different levels of cushioning. And to do these jobs, the sock can't bunch up, shift, etc.

I'm not saying that the POINT 6 sock bunches, but I am feeling like my foot is shifting inside the sock at the toe box and I don't feel too secure in the heel cup either, although my main complaint is the looseness in the toe area. At this point I think I should have saved my money and bought more DARN TOUGH or even CABELA'S IN-GENIUS socks, but I will give these as honest a test as my feet can tolerate.

[strike]EQUIPMENT UPDATE:

Point 6 brand hiking socks (low)

Here is another premium hiking sock[/strike]
image_zps615f4314.jpg

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
EQUIPMENT UPDATE: POINT 6 light hiking sock ~ meh ~
I purchased a Men's Large POINT 6 sock which, according to their 'sizing chart' is the right sock for people with a shoe size range from 9 to 11.5 and the sock package was correctly labeled as a LARGE.

I'm glad you mentioned the sock sizing. The Darn Tough socks my Army Ranger son got me hooked on are the first socks I have ever owned that are sized. All other socks I own (many now will be finding their way to the Goodwill) are the 'one size fits all' sock. I happen to wear a size very close to what you wear, 10EEE, and I've really grown weary of some socks having the 'heel' portion end up above the top rear of walking or tennis shoes. The best I can tell is that they make them for someone with a size 14 foot and figure anyone with a smaller foot can wear them; which would be most of the population. Unfortunately, being able to wear them and having them fit are two different issues.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad you mentioned the sock sizing. The Darn Tough socks my Army Ranger son got me hooked on are the first socks I have ever owned that are sized. All other socks I own (many now will be finding their way to the Goodwill) are the 'one size fits all' sock. I happen to wear a size very close to what you wear, 10EEE, and I've really grown weary of some socks having the 'heel' portion end up above the top rear of walking or tennis shoes. The best I can tell is that they make them for someone with a size 14 foot and figure anyone with a smaller foot can wear them; which would be most of the population. Unfortunately, being able to wear them and having them fit are two different issues.

Uh Brent, just like socks come in different sizes, so does underwear :whistling:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh Brent, just like socks come in different sizes, so does underwear :whistling:

Yeah, right. Next I suppose you're gonna tell me that you actually replace your underwear. Mine from high school are getting a little ragged, but no holes in important areas. :shifty:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . Next I suppose you're gonna tell me that you actually replace your underwear. . .

Now that you mention it :hammer:

GEAR UPDATE: Ex Officio Travel/Hiking Underwear

Officially Ex Officio calls this their "Give-N-Go" line and its available in Boxer, Boxer Brief and Brief. They also have shirts. Me, I'm a boxer guy so that is what I got. I'd also point out that Duluth Trading and a few other companies make similar products.

image_zps4fce20d6.jpg

First let me mention that when it comes to hiking cotton fabrics are your enemy. Cotton holds moisture against your skin, it dries slowly, and with undergarments when soaked with sweat can lead to chafing, rash, and general unpleasantness that we don't need to describe in any greater detail.

So it should be obvious to you by now that these are NOT made of cotton. They claim to be an odor resistant and moisture wicking fabric made of 94 percent nylon, 6 percent Lycra. The fabric is extremely breathable and air dries quickly. It has a terry elastic back and an overlapping no-button fly (fwiw, Duluth Trading uses 1 button on their fly). Ex Officio brand is treated with Aegis Microbe Shield to prevent and control odor-causing bacteria, have a gusset panel in the crotch and weigh only 3 ounces. I'm a big fan of the gusset panel as it prevents the 'thong effect' of having a seam ride up between your cheeks, it also prevents the legs from binding around your nether regions. Oh, and the feel of the material, lets just say that your privates will not complain about the smooth silky feel. Now the downside, the prices are, depending on brand, north of $25 per pair. Diligent shopping will find them for about $15 each.

But you should buy them because they actually are great for hiking. They are far better than sweat soaked cotton because absorb very little and dry very quickly. They won't rub you the wrong way, and they pack light and small.

Worth the price? Well worth it. Buy them for your hiking, but I'll bet you sneak them on during the work week too. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Better than shave cream. Better even than hot fudge on your ice cream, and not fattening.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
If my high school boxers ever wear out I'll probably follow the lead of our special forces as relayed to me by my son. The price is right too.

Oh, the brand and specifics... Lets just say we all now know where the saying "going commando" originated.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob rejoined me again on our 5 mile walk this morning, she's been off for a few days from walking and nursing a pulled muscle? Consequently we started at a slower pace today but still worked up a good sweat.

After our 5 miles we plotted out a 6 mile and a 6.5 mile course and plan to start pushing out a bit farther on days when we have the time to walk that far. Probably the weekends, maybe Tuesday & Thursday? Beginning this week we both start coaching Fencing at the local high school on Mon-Wed-Fri so that will cut down on our walking time.

We have both been testing a headband with Xylitol in the fabric. The claim is that it makes your skin 5-degrees cooler. I will admit it works, but I'm not ready for a full review, not convinced I will carry it to England, but it might end up in my fencing kit to keep the sweat out of my eyes when I'm wearing the steel mask and beating high school kids with a metal rod!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR UPDATE: Another style of DARN TOUGH hiking socks

EXCELLENT SOCKS​

I'm not sure if this is a newer or an older design but I'm leaning toward an older design since its a sock I can't find on the current DARN TOUGH website. This sock is simply a different verison of the wool DARN TOUGH ankle length hiking sock, different in that it has a "crew" height cuff for wear with low and mid-height hiking boots.

image_zpsfb4bbf20.jpg

Like the other DARN TOUGH socks these fit and feel awesome underfoot while out on the trail (or in my case during testing phase, out along the local roadways). I picked up 2 pairs of these at the beginning of the week from an on-line retailer, have already put them to a test, and they function as expected. These socks go up to the top of my list of performance socks along with the other DARN TOUGH brand socks.

This thread it turning into an unpaid commercial advertisement for DARN TOUGH, and for that I am going to apologize.

It surprised me that 1 brand of socks could so dominate the thread, and relegate ALL of my old hiking socks to the trash bin, while simultaneously trashing the competition of new technical socks. I do need to point out that for a synthetic sock, the CABELA'S IN-GENIUS sock is also an EXCELLENT sock, well worthy of wear and consideration for those wanting a synthetic. I am, at this point, undecided on if I will buy more of the IN-GENIUS socks, or if I will pick up a few more pairs of the COOLMAX hiking sock from DARN TOUGH. Both are excellent. The biggest advantage of the Cabela's sock, for me, is they are available locally, its a short drive to pick them up and I get to drool at the gun counter while buying the socks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a lot to report lately. With nearly 100 degree days back to back and high humidity, walks have either been short or non-existent. Looking forward to this evening when the temps are supposed to drop back down to the 70's. Did a miserable 5 miles in the heat and I do have a odd little piece of equipment to report upon.

GEAR UPDATE: Xylitol infused self-cooling headband from Ex Officio

Let me first state that I do not like wearing a headband. Never did. Doubt I ever will. So with that bias out of the way, I'd like to talk about a new headband that is very different than those terry cloth headbands that can be had for a couple of bucks. This was a $10 piece of fabric.

Not sure exactly what the material is, but I'm guessing its spandex or supplex or some similar combination. Its soft, smooth and stretchy and generally very comfortable against your skin. The material is also, somehow, infused with the chemical Xylitol, which is a mint like flavoring used in some brands of breath freshening gums and breath mints. Apparently the sweat generated by your body is soaked into the material, where it mixes with the Xylitol, and creates some sort of a chemical reaction. Ex Officio, the maker of the headband, proclaims that the chemical reaction cools your head by a full 5 degrees.

image_zpsc40cb453.jpg

I don't know why, how, or whatever, but I can report, this thing ACTUALLY WORKS.

My hottest trial with this headband did 5 miles in 95 degree heat with my wife. She was also wearing one. They come in black and several colors. As far as wroking as a headband, I can say that not a single drop of sweat rolled off my brow and into my eyes or dripped onto my glasses. But hey, any headband can do that. But what this really did was cool my skin/my head everywhere that it came in contact with my body.

All that said, I still am not a big fan of headbands. If I was a fan of headband I would take this with me to the UK for our hike across England. But I prefer a towel and a hat. Will I use this? Yes, on really hot days I will continue to use this magic headband.

FWIW, I have no idea how long its cooling effect will last. I know that the bug repellent clothing is typically good for 70 wash cycles. So I suspect this is similar, it probably will work for a full summer and then fade in effectiveness? But that is just a guess.

====================

Upcoming Walk: 3 Mile Walk-a-Thon for Multiple Sclerosis Society

In Highland IN at Wicker Memorial Park => http://walkini.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=19691&pg=entry

Even if you are not planning a hike across a foreign country, you may want to go out on Sunday and find your local MS society walk. Raise a bit of money, or donate a bit of money, and walk for a good cause. My wife's mother had MS and it made the last 2 decades of her life a living hell. The head fencing coach at my fencing club's wife currently has the disease, and one of the teacher's my wife works with has a mother with the disease. We are walking for the memory of my M-I-L and for these 2 friends who are touched with the disease now. If you look around you will probably find out that you know someone stricken too.

Here is a link to the National MS Walk site, you can use it to find a walk that is local to you => https://secure3.convio.net/nmss/sit...ahdcgn2.app326a&pagename=WLK_INI_Landing_Page

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR QUESTION ~ IF YOU HAVE ONE, What kind of pack stove do you have?

I've been re-thinking the whole concept of a stove and am being swayed . . . alcohol is influencing my decision.

I'm not sure if I am going to carry a stove with me on this hike. I believe in carrying what I need and since there are small villages every 8 to 15 miles along the hiking trail, there will be places to eat a hot meal and drink a tepid English ale. I am not convinced that I need to take a stove and cook meals. Still, I have to consider my options.

BUTANE Canister Stoves:

My old Optimus stove was tried and true and worked. Its long gone, it would be easy to buy another. Canisters burn for 60 to 90 minutes depending on ambient temperature, I'd need 2 canisters for an 8 day walk for hot coffee and a dehydrated meal if cooked 1 time a day. Butane stoves allow you to boil, simmer, fry (if you have a frying pan).

But canisters are bulky, expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Liquid Fuel Stoves/WHITE GAS/Multi-Fuel Pressure Tank Stoves:

Probably the most flexible for cooking, great for altitudes and cold weather conditions, but also the least reliable, we've all had one of these (or more) during our lifetime. They are good, common, and offerings come in all sizes and weights. But they are also the most complex stoves. My personal favorite is the SOTO Muka stove, its a multi-fuel that does not require priming, its got some nice innovations and was named an "editors choice" winner in 2012.

For these type of stoves, regardless of brand, you need the burner, the pump, the fuel tank and the hose to connect them all together. You fill the cannister with your choice of white gas, unleaded gasoline, etc. Attach the pump, connect the hose, pump the tank to pressurize, open the fuel valve and dispense a small amount of fuel, close the valve, light the fuel to get the burner hot (this is the priming step) and once the flame has burned for 10+ seconds and heated the burner/vaporizer then you open the gas valve again and start cooking. There is also a special process to shut down the stove to empty the hose, etc.

When these work, which is most of the time, they work very very well. They typically allow a full heat range for controlled cooking.

Alcohol Stoves

This stupid simple thing is what is starting to sway me away from all other stoves. NOTHING TO BREAK. TOTALLY RELIABLE in all but extreme cold. LIGHTEST WEIGHT.

OK, the downsides are its basically a cup with holes that has 1 heat setting. ON. No simmer, just FULL BLAST until it burns out. But since most backpackers live on dehydrated/freeze dried foods like Mountain House and simply need some boiled water, then I don't see a lot of downsides to this design. There are home-made versions out of old pop cans, old beer cans, cat food cans, etc. There are high quality rugged versions made from Titanium and there are cheap commercial versions as well.

If I take a stove on this trip, and I'm not sure I will, this is probably what I will take with me:

Fancy Feast Cat Food Can Backpacking Stove - YouTube

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bit the bullet and bought my first alcohol stove

Burns simple, cheap alcohol (HEET gas line anti-freeze, Denatured Alcohol, etc).

No moving parts. Simple to operate. Easy and light to pack. Made in America by a hobbyist/backpacker.

I opted to buy one, rather than make one out of a pop can, cat food can, etc, because I was looking for something more substantial and found this one, looks great. I'll update eventually. Probably during the cold of winter when there is little else to do. This is milled out of solid aluminum stock, pretty much crush proof except for the fuel nipple.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...tch?v=0XVDwjsrUkI&feature%3 Dplayer_embedded

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 135

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR UPDATE: Tragedy has befallen the household. . . missing gear!

Somehow, while moving my pack around over the past week, from room to room, I seem to have lost my "Gossomer Gear" belt pouch.

Its this little 0.9 ounce thing:

image_zps68a2f3a2.jpg

image_zps7d6f8807.jpg

The lovely Mrs_Bob and I have torn apart the spare bedroom, I've shined lights under every piece of furniture on the upper level of the house, into the back of the closets, searched shelving, and even emptied several drawers. Its not to be found.

As that is my primary camera carry case for the trip it will have to be found, or replaced. Given the high price ($15) for such a small piece of gear I really don't want to replace it. But it is so well designed that if I have to do so, I will replace that little pouch.

-----------------------------

I've started a spreadsheet to track the weights of gear that I'm testing out. My goal is to carry no more than 20# on my back, and given that water weighs 8# per gallon and I'm looking at carrying 3 Quarts each day (2 in a Camelbak bladder + 1 in a bottle) then with the container weight I'll have nearly 7# or just over 1/3rd of the total weigh taken up with water. Add about 2# for the 2000 cu.in. backpack itself and I'm at 9# or just under 50% of my maximum goal. Still to weigh, 2 rain jackets, 2 rain pants, first aid kit, titanium cups, medicine, knife, etc etc etc

------------------------------

But now its time for bed. Alarm is set for 4:30am so we can go for a walk tomorrow before the day gets started. Hope I'm feeling up to it. Been sick all weekend with a bad cold and some stomach discomfort. I'd like to at least get in a quick 3 mile walk in the morning's pre-dawn hours.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking at carrying 3 Quarts each day (2 in a Camelbak bladder + 1 in a bottle) then with the container weight I'll have nearly 7# or just over 1/3rd of the total weigh taken up with water.

After using my 3 liter Camelbak several times in extremely hot weather my only complaint is that the first 2 mouths full of water is really hot, but the pack does a surprisingly good job of keeping the main bladder cool when filled with water and a couple scoops of cubed ice. I mentioned this to my son and he said that, unless water is extremely scarce, the standard procedure is to use the first two sips to rinse your mouth and then spit it out. That leaves your drinking portion nice and refreshingly cool.

Although I never planned on doing so, he did warn me about it being a really bad idea to fill it with anything but water. It seems that many have tried using Gatorade in them only later to discover it takes about an hour to properly clean it after using G; which generally doesn't happen and mold starts growing in your drinking bladder.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My plan is WATER ONLY in the bladder.

I'll be in England so the odds of finding ICE in that nation are about as strong as finding roses at the North Pole. Water will be ambient temperature. The good news is that the average temps for the area during that time of the year are mid-40's at night with highs in the 60's during the day. So ideal hiking temperatures, the water should never heat up as my backpack has an air-suspension system to keep the water bladder OFF my back.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
After using my 3 liter Camelbak several times in extremely hot weather my only complaint is that the first 2 mouths full of water is really hot, but the pack does a surprisingly good job of keeping the main bladder cool when filled with water and a couple scoops of cubed ice. I mentioned this to my son and he said that, unless water is extremely scarce, the standard procedure is to use the first two sips to rinse your mouth and then spit it out. That leaves your drinking portion nice and refreshingly cool.

Although I never planned on doing so, he did warn me about it being a really bad idea to fill it with anything but water. It seems that many have tried using Gatorade in them only later to discover it takes about an hour to properly clean it after using G; which generally doesn't happen and mold starts growing in your drinking bladder.
I too do love to use my cammelbacks heed your son's warnings I saw many GI.'s squirt their mre's out the other end because they wanted cool aid or pop in their canteens or cammelbacks . even one of my kids had to learn the hard way what the hell does dad know.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CamelBak actually sells a few flavorings that can be used in their bladders.

They contain NO SUGAR and, according to CamelBak are easy to clean. But I'm not going mess around with it. My plan is to stick to pure water.

Worst thing you can do in a bladder system is put a sugary drink into the bladder.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The world is good again . . . my wife found the little Gossamer Gear "pocket."

I now have it secured to the waist strap of my back pack. The little pouch comes with a velcro tab on the back of it so it can be secured to your backpack's waist strap so that it does not slide around. It also has two elastic hoops that help hold it in place. The velcro strip, which is now stuck on the right side of the backpack belt, gives me about 3" of lateral adjustment for the Gossamer Gear pouch so I can adjust it a bit in the field.

Prior to today I did not fasten the velcro strip to my backpack, but rather relied on the elastic. Now I have it secured firmly with the velcro as I affixed the velcro strip to my pack. When moving the pack around, apparently the elastic didn't hold it firmly enough and it slipped off the pack's belt. That can't happen now that the velcro has it locked in place.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR DISCUSSION >>> Wristwatches for Backcountry Uses: Hiking/Camping/Hunting/Climbing

With some little electronics, a wristwatch can now become a tool for back country travel and hunting. This watch is an older titanium cased Tissot T-Touch Trek watch. Its now a discontinued model, but they offer other versions. Its not the best back country watch on the market. The new SUUNTO CORE is probably the best watch out there for backcountry use, its commonly available for about $275, give or take a bit. PYLE offers a watch with similar features, I've seen them on Ebay for as low as $49.00. Casio makes several versions that offer some of these features, prices vary from $250 to $500.

So what makes a GREAT back country watch?

How about a COMPASS, a BAROMETER and an ALTIMETER for starters? Add in a THERMOMETER, an ALARM and a STOPWATCH function too.

I'll be using my Tissot T-Touch Trek for illustrations here, but the other watches do all/some of these things, some do them much better, some about the same, some a little worse. But this will give you some things to think about.

If you are lost in the woods while hunting, or if you are hiking a trail from one point to another, an ALTIMETER and a simple topographic map can help you find your location. If you think you are at a point on the map, just check the the elevation lines and check the altimeter function on your watch, it can confirm your location or show you just how lost you really are. This can let you know that you have reached the peak, or maybe just a false peak. Or confirm you are in right valley, etc.

On this watch I set the ALTIMETER function and the hands point to ALTIMETER, then the digital read out gives me my elevation above sea level.
image_zps923453dd.jpg

COMPASSES
on wrist watches are known to be moderately accurate. A quality magnetic compass is going to be more accurate, but some watches can do a pretty good job and most can give you a reasonably accurate indication of your direction of travel. On this particular watch you set the watch to compass mode and the hour hand moves opposite of the minute hand and then the 2 hands rotate so that the minute hand is pointing to Magnetic North Poll while the hour hand points to the Magnetic South.
image_zps208d2a29.jpg

BAROMETERS are probably the feature that I think are most critical for safety and for comfort. Some watches actually will give you a GRAPH showing the past 12 or even 24 hours of barometric pressure trends. Some even have little icons shaped like clouds, rain clouds, or the sun to indicate weather. Mine is pretty simplistic compared to something like the new digital watches, but it does the job. Set it into the METEO mode (which is the Barometer on this watch) and the two hands come together and then point into 1 of 3 positions. If the two hands point toward NOON then the barometric pressure has been STABLE for the past 12 hours and there will be NO CHANGE in the weather. If the two hands point toward 1 o'clock then the barometric pressure is RISING and good weather is coming. BUT, if the two hands point toward the 11 o'clock position then the barometric position is FALLING and bad weather is coming.

I snapped this photo this afternoon, about 3 hours after taking the picture the HEAVY RAINS started. Knowing in advance that bad weather was coming I could have returned to camp, or pitched a tent and prepared for rain, or taken other precautions before the rain starts.
image_zpsd4be7835.jpg

My watch also has a THERMOMETER function. I'm not a big fan. If I'm out hiking and its cold, I know it. If its hot, I know that too. I suppose there is some use if it becomes dangerously hot or cold, but I don't see a lot of use for knowing the exact temperature. Still, the digital readout give me the temperature and the hands point toward the function to confirm its a temperature in the readout. I know of no watch that can tell me if the FUTURE temperature is going to fall or rise and then project it with a future temperature. However the previously discussued BAROMETER function can give you an idea of the future weather, and that is, in my opinion, more important than the specific temperature. I suppose if you wake up in your tent, see steam rising when you open your mouth, say "I'll bet its colder than a witches' tit out there," you could use a thermometer on your watch to confirm that fact.
image_zpsdcd0bc15.jpg

TIME and STOPWATCH functions . . . why are these important? Simple, if you know your destination on a map, and you know your current location on the map, and if you know your rough walking speed, you can use the STOPWATCH and TIME to help you determine the time to your destination or your waypoint.
image_zpsb80e2c26.jpg

One thing that I have NOT discussed in a GPS feature in a watch.
Garmin and a couple other companies now have GPS enabled watches. The problem with a GPS watch is the same problem that exists with a handheld GPS, that is they EAT BATTERIES and/or must be RECHARGED too frequently. Out for a quick "day hike" or out hunting for the day and you probably won't come close to wearing out the battery, but what happens if you go out for a week? Odds are the battery in your watch can be stretched to a few days if you are very careful with powering down the GPS and use it only a couple hours a day. But if you are in back country then you probably should learn how to use a compass and a map instead. Leave the GPS watch behind. JMO and YMMV.

Other watches for back country travel/hunting/hiking/climbing (these have some/most/all/more of the functions of my watch):
  • SUUNTO Core: Amazon.com: suunto core: Sports & Outdoors
  • PYLE: Amazon.com: pyle watch: Watches
  • CASIO: Amazon.com: casio barometer: Watches
  • PULSAR: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Mens-PS7001-Digital-Watch/dp/B004ARSGEG/ref=sr_1_16?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1379549396&sr=1-16&keywords=barometer]Pulsar Men's PS7001 Tech Gear Digital Watch: Watches: Amazon.com[/ame]
  • TISSOT: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T33789892-T-Touch-Polished-Titanium/dp/B000OHA3WE/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1379549606&sr=1-1&keywords=tissot+barometer]Tissot Men's T33789892 T-Touch Polished Titanium Black Rubber Watch: Watches: Amazon.com[/ame]

In an age when many people rely on their cell phone for time and fewer people are wearing a watch, if you go back country you may find that you have no reliable signal. A watch can be a versatile and invaluable tool to help you navigate your way through canyons, over hilly or mountainous grounds, across an island, etc. Give some thoughts to the functions above the next time you rely on a GPS to get you home, could you have done it with a map and a compass, or even a map and a wristwatch?

The watches I listed above range from cheap to expensive, there is one for every budget. You might find one that will save your life if you go afield.

Ah Bob, you'll probably lose your backpack next. :yum:
I hope not, but I won't bet on it :ermm:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE: HOW TO ACTUALLY USE A COMPASS

Based on some conversations after I posted the information about hiking watches at my shooting group forum. So I posted the following information there, figured I'd also reposted it here. I get the disctinct impression that a lot of people don't really understand how to properly use a compass. It seems like a lot of people think they know but in reality they don't know, the proper way to use a compass out in the field.

This YouTube video is a great resource and explains things very well:
[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8roXXgIhM"]Silva navigation school - YouTube[/ame]

Here is also a webpage that explains how to use a compass, this is very simple, with illustrations: How to Read a Compass

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR DISCUSSION >>> Wristwatches for Backcountry Uses: Hiking/Camping/Hunting/Climbing

With some little electronics, a wristwatch can now become a tool for back country travel and hunting. This watch is an older titanium cased Tissot T-Touch Trek watch. Its now a discontinued model, but they offer other versions. Its not the best back country watch on the market. The new SUUNTO CORE is probably the best watch out there for backcountry use, its commonly available for about $275, give or take a bit. PYLE offers a watch with similar features, I've seen them on Ebay for as low as $49.00. Casio makes several versions that offer some of these features, prices vary from $250 to $500.

So what makes a GREAT back country watch?

How about a COMPASS, a BAROMETER and an ALTIMETER for starters? Add in a THERMOMETER, an ALARM and a STOPWATCH function too.

I'll be using my Tissot T-Touch Trek for illustrations here, but the other watches do all/some of these things, some do them much better, some about the same, some a little worse. But this will give you some things to think about.

If you are lost in the woods while hunting, or if you are hiking a trail from one point to another, an ALTIMETER and a simple topographic map can help you find your location. If you think you are at a point on the map, just check the the elevation lines and check the altimeter function on your watch, it can confirm your location or show you just how lost you really are. This can let you know that you have reached the peak, or maybe just a false peak. Or confirm you are in right valley, etc.

On this watch I set the ALTIMETER function and the hands point to ALTIMETER, then the digital read out gives me my elevation above sea level.
image_zps923453dd.jpg

COMPASSES
on wrist watches are known to be moderately accurate. A quality magnetic compass is going to be more accurate, but some watches can do a pretty good job and most can give you a reasonably accurate indication of your direction of travel. On this particular watch you set the watch to compass mode and the hour hand moves opposite of the minute hand and then the 2 hands rotate so that the minute hand is pointing to Magnetic North Poll while the hour hand points to the Magnetic South.
image_zps208d2a29.jpg

BAROMETERS are probably the feature that I think are most critical for safety and for comfort. Some watches actually will give you a GRAPH showing the past 12 or even 24 hours of barometric pressure trends. Some even have little icons shaped like clouds, rain clouds, or the sun to indicate weather. Mine is pretty simplistic compared to something like the new digital watches, but it does the job. Set it into the METEO mode (which is the Barometer on this watch) and the two hands come together and then point into 1 of 3 positions. If the two hands point toward NOON then the barometric pressure has been STABLE for the past 12 hours and there will be NO CHANGE in the weather. If the two hands point toward 1 o'clock then the barometric pressure is RISING and good weather is coming. BUT, if the two hands point toward the 11 o'clock position then the barometric position is FALLING and bad weather is coming.

I snapped this photo this afternoon, about 3 hours after taking the picture the HEAVY RAINS started. Knowing in advance that bad weather was coming I could have returned to camp, or pitched a tent and prepared for rain, or taken other precautions before the rain starts.
image_zpsd4be7835.jpg

My watch also has a THERMOMETER function. I'm not a big fan. If I'm out hiking and its cold, I know it. If its hot, I know that too. I suppose there is some use if it becomes dangerously hot or cold, but I don't see a lot of use for knowing the exact temperature. Still, the digital readout give me the temperature and the hands point toward the function to confirm its a temperature in the readout. I know of no watch that can tell me if the FUTURE temperature is going to fall or rise and then project it with a future temperature. However the previously discussued BAROMETER function can give you an idea of the future weather, and that is, in my opinion, more important than the specific temperature. I suppose if you wake up in your tent, see steam rising when you open your mouth, say "I'll bet its colder than a witches' tit out there," you could use a thermometer on your watch to confirm that fact.
image_zpsdcd0bc15.jpg

TIME and STOPWATCH functions . . . why are these important? Simple, if you know your destination on a map, and you know your current location on the map, and if you know your rough walking speed, you can use the STOPWATCH and TIME to help you determine the time to your destination or your waypoint.
image_zpsb80e2c26.jpg

One thing that I have NOT discussed in a GPS feature in a watch.
Garmin and a couple other companies now have GPS enabled watches. The problem with a GPS watch is the same problem that exists with a handheld GPS, that is they EAT BATTERIES and/or must be RECHARGED too frequently. Out for a quick "day hike" or out hunting for the day and you probably won't come close to wearing out the battery, but what happens if you go out for a week? Odds are the battery in your watch can be stretched to a few days if you are very careful with powering down the GPS and use it only a couple hours a day. But if you are in back country then you probably should learn how to use a compass and a map instead. Leave the GPS watch behind. JMO and YMMV.

Other watches for back country travel/hunting/hiking/climbing (these have some/most/all/more of the functions of my watch):

In an age when many people rely on their cell phone for time and fewer people are wearing a watch, if you go back country you may find that you have no reliable signal. A watch can be a versatile and invaluable tool to help you navigate your way through canyons, over hilly or mountainous grounds, across an island, etc. Give some thoughts to the functions above the next time you rely on a GPS to get you home, could you have done it with a map and a compass, or even a map and a wristwatch?

I saw a watch like that once, but not for very long. Security was told to get that bum looking at the expensive watches outta their store. :sad:

So, I splurged and got this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Mid-Size-T5G971-Personal-Trainer/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=lp_711751011_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379807038&sr=1-1"]Dargo's price range watch[/ame]

A guy I know who owns a company I do business with in Napa, CA bought a watch that cost more than the average priced house in my area and he has to wind it every day and it's not even that accurate! Gees! :rock:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw a watch like that once, but not for very long. Security was told to get that bum looking at the expensive watches outta their store. :sad:

So, I splurged and got this one Dargo's price range watch

A guy I know who owns a company I do business with in Napa, CA bought a watch that cost more than the average priced house in my area and he has to wind it every day and it's not even that accurate! Gees! :rock:

You will notice that I linked to several watches, starting as low as $49 :hammer:

The point of the post was to illustrate a high tech tool that a hiker can use out in the woods or on a trail. I think a lot of people (often me included) rely too heavily on an a handheld GPS because they are convenient. Problem is they eat batteries. My GPS is good for a day, maybe 2 of use on a pair of AA batteries. But I'll be walking the Hadrian's Wall trail for 8 days, and while it is supposed to be pretty well marked, we will be deviating from the trail from time to time. Not sure I want to carry around a pound worth of batteries!

So the compass and map seem far more logical.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You will notice that I linked to several watches, starting as low as $49 :hammer:

The point of the post was to illustrate a high tech tool that a hiker can use out in the woods or on a trail. I think a lot of people (often me included) rely too heavily on an a handheld GPS because they are convenient. Problem is they eat batteries. My GPS is good for a day, maybe 2 of use on a pair of AA batteries. But I'll be walking the Hadrian's Wall trail for 8 days, and while it is supposed to be pretty well marked, we will be deviating from the trail from time to time. Not sure I want to carry around a pound worth of batteries!

So the compass and map seem far more logical.

I was just joking. Although I do personally own the $29 version, I bought one for my Army Ranger son one that is 'military rated' (um, to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing) and cost closer to the most expensive model you listed. IMHO, he could possibly really need some of the functions of the watch in his position of a commissioned officer, leading soldiers, in the Army Special forces. I think you know that I believe I'm somewhat similar to you in the respect that, if needed, I'll spend whatever it takes if I feel it is important and, especially, if it's for one of my children.