• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GARDENS: It did NOT rain yesterday

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn, we had a nice day yesterday without rain. There was plenty of standing water from previous rains, but yesterday was nice. I went down to try to weed a little bit before things really get out of hand and the weeds take over. Its tough to weed in the mud. I gave up.

So today we have HEAVY THUNDERSTORMS. Misha is upstairs cowering in fear from the lightning/thunder. Yup, the garden this year is going to be a miserable failure.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the rain is not our problem this year - it's the bumper crop of bunnies.
locusts leave more green stuff behind than these fiends.
it's bad enough my vegetarian wife has given me permission to pot them - so long as she doesn't have to "prep" the bodies.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is one reason I don't mind the fox pups hanging around. They keep the bunnies under control. The deer and bear are my biggest headache with the garden.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Last year TVA had to buy electricity because the water levels were so low that they couldn't utilize their hydroelectric facilities to generate the supplemental electricity they need.

This year they're reducing our electric rates because of the abundance of water and their ability to generate extra power.

My garden may be a wash but it won't cost me as much to cool the house. Heck, with all the rain I may not have to turn on the A/C. My May electric bill for my 2700 sq ft house was $55......:4_11_9: :clap: Even if you include the $20 I paid for the apartment elec that pretty good. I sure wouldn't mind keeping it that way!

loboloco

First blueberry's of the season picked today. Have been getting cucumbers and squash for a week. Tomatoes are almost baseball sized, but still green.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been eating raspberries for about a week. Blueberries are still a week or so away. Grapes are a long bit down the road. I thinned the fruit from the pear trees to let the trees grow only the biggest and best.

We are still a couple weeks away from tomatoes, etc.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing but rain and cold here. I have small raspberry and blueberry buds, tiny cherries, itty bitty peaches, and one little green tomato. F'in lawn is growing like crazy and it's so wet that when I mow the clumps are a mess.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Been waiting to plant more sweet corn. First stuff is up about 3-4 inches but it keeps raining. Going to get hot for the next 2 days and then showers Saturday then 2 more hot ones. We are going to try to make hay if it dries up a little bit. Damn hay is as tall as the deer. Some guys are chopping and blowing it up for feed while still green. Wish we had a wrapper. My one field is so wet it soaked the tires on the tractor last week.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well like Bob said you can't weed to easy in the mud. Corn is up about 3 feet right now, weeds come in around 4 feet. The larger thistles have their dam roots mixed right in with the corn roots. Can't pull them or corn comes with. The corn is starting to lay over on it's side it is so dam wet here. I am going out to a friends farm and get a couple of gallons of spray that he uses on his field corn.

The deer have eaten my peas and beans right to the ground.

Today was the first day I have seen the sun in about 3 weeks. Tomorrow it is suppose to start raining again with 4 days of rain foretasted.

loboloco

Been waiting to plant more sweet corn. First stuff is up about 3-4 inches but it keeps raining. Going to get hot for the next 2 days and then showers Saturday then 2 more hot ones. We are going to try to make hay if it dries up a little bit. Damn hay is as tall as the deer. Some guys are chopping and blowing it up for feed while still green. Wish we had a wrapper. My one field is so wet it soaked the tires on the tractor last week.
Our sweet corn is about 6 ft and tasseling. Got 92 Bales in around mid-May.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The tallest corn I have seen is about 12-15 inches tall. The little bit of hay that has been made was rained on at least once if not more. Probably go to a drought shortly like 2007 did.:hammer:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
We are 'kicking' the hay today (turning or tossing it, or whatever you call it), pray it does not rain and we get some this year as it has been very difficult for a few years with the rain. The sheep are sheared (well mine aren't, yet) and hopefully I might get the hardtop on Dixie (landrover) today.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
mulberries, raspberries, and blueberries are coming on strong.
will also have a bumper crop of wild plum in another 6 weeks.
tomatoes are drowning, hot peppers are doing well, cilantro bolted.

loboloco

Getting ready to make our second cut of hay this week-end. We might manage to get three crops out this year if we get a little rain through July.