• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Damn !What did I pay for !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Had my two polaris 500's in for maintance . One seemed to have a fan switch that was not working . It came back still with the same heating issue . I finally had to wire a hot fused lead to the fan to get it cooling so I could use it for hunting season . Don't these mechanics ever check their work . I could have done the work myself , but was in Panama and thought it was just simplier to go this route . Now i need to order a fan switch !!!!
As if I don't have enough to do ..........:doh:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Should be the same switch as mine. I just changed the fan sensor on mine this summer. Seems like that's a weak link on the polaris atvs. Tokk me all of 2 minutes to change mine. Didn't even lose any antifreeze doing it. Better then when I was out on the trail and it failed causing a plastic T in the antifreeze line to explode from the pressure of the boiling antifreeze. Yah, that wasn't fun. Thankfully no damage to the engine. Got a tow back out to the trailer. I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to mechanical stuff. Very rarely if ever will I take it to a dealer. That includes vehicles. I couldn't see myself paying some mechanic an hour of shop time to do a 2 minute job like that. I went to the dealer to see about prices for a new sensor for mine. Almost fell on my butt when he said it was $120. I ordered the same exact OEM one on ebay for half that then installed it myself when it came in.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a Polaris but do have a Suzuki that's running hot. Air cooled so no fan. Do you think your machines are running hotter lately? I did a little surfing on the issue and it sounds like the ethanol in the gas is making them run leaner and hotter. It sounds like re-jetting them is the easiest solution.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen my wifes has the same Big Al modification right now I worked on Polaris products in Iraq, and lots of them here as the seem to be the most in expensive models. truth be told I will never own another one. they are cheep the brakes don't last, the exhaust will rot out in half the time, and their electrical components are junk. save your self the trouble now first thing you need to do is pull both electrical connectors on the left hand handle bar and goop them down with dielectric silicone grease or the pins will rot out, also never try to charge a dead battery with your charging system you will smoke the stator.as for the dealers you might find one factory trained guy the rest of the guys there are a bunch of pot head kids.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can tell, if a Polaris doesn't have a cooling fan issue when it comes off the assembly line, they send it back through. :hide:

Seriously though, I have one neighbor with 4 or 5 Polaris ATV's sitting out in his back yard rotting since they quit and two attorney friends who ride their $30k Rangers at my property with me (because they think it's normal to spend a couple grand on them a year), so I've never purchased any Polaris product.

I did have to change the battery on my 2005 Suzuki King Quad 750 this summer though. Seems like batteries just don't last like they used to.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
dargo I have had very good luck with agm battery's in atv's I don't even pull them out for the winter. the best one I had was built by hawker aerospace called an odyssey that battery lasted 5 years.as for king quads a buddy of mine bought 2 based on my imput when they first came out with them. the guys have beat them out at his mine, I believe they are going on 4 years with nothing more than oil changes. my old arctic cat I picked up second hand gave me years of service also it's now ready for the dump engine is finally wore out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't complain overall with the performance of my Polaris so far. Aside from the fan sensor, I haven't had any other problems with it. And I use it every weekend out at camp during the summer. Infact, I picked up an old '86 trailboss 250 this summer as well for out at camp. So we now have two polaris' and 1 yamaha to ride.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
...truth be told I will never own another one. they are cheep the brakes don't last, the exhaust will rot out in half the time, and their electrical components are junk.
Yep, what he said. I pulled the wheels off mine and the rotors are paper thin, pads are a friggen joke. You don't have to look to far to see that these are built to repair.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
as far as quads go if I buy American it will be arctic cat, other wise I'm buying French Canadian or jap. the bombardier traxter I have now has been a good solid machine I have had a few electrical issues but other wise no complaints.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes they were and with a little modifications on the 300's you could even get the front differential to lock I hate to send mine to the dump but it's just not worth an engine rebuild and 4 new tires. the thing looks like a 2 stroke when it run's now