• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Needing some advice: Mattracks for remote cabin access?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I actually think Cletis's idea of a tracked truck/suv(hybrid) would be a good way to go if he used a snowmobile or snowcat to groom his trail after a deep snow. He could also groom with the hybrid while it is snowing or after light snows with good results. The key to a good trail wether used by cats or snowmobiles is keeping a good base and then keeping on that base and that sometimes requires having more tools than beer.:smile:

Excellent and this is what works great........use the same road/trail and keep it packed for the best results for any snow vehicle....I also put up trail marker stakes to know exactly where my snow trails are in the open wind blown areas and then I can find and know I am on my snow trail in blizzard conditions.

We utilize utility type wide track Arctic Bearcat snowmobiles, ATT tracked Jimmy's, F250 with Mattracks, a UTV Yamaha Rhino with tracks, SV200 Bombardier grooming snow cat and a family Thiokol Super Imp multi passenger cat with an 8 way front blade for cutting side hills and drift busting. Each over snow vehicle has it's limitations but also a useful purpose depending on what you need and want to use when you learn to use it properly.....

As to the "remote living" it is a tough learning experience/adventure when your nearest neighbor is 12 miles away and he is even less prepared than you for the lifestyle and depends on you to bail his ass out. We have learned to be prepared and expect the worst and are thankful it usually turns out not nearly that bad. We have lived remotely 28 miles from the nearest town, 12 miles from the nearest neighbor at 8500 foot elevation in the mountains of Wyoming, seen the "wanna be's" and "big talkers" come and go as they cannot adjust to the realities of the remote lifestyle and its hardships for about 7 years now......:whistling:

Cletis

Seems really stupid that Tucker does not come with lockers as standard equipment. I'm sure they are options on new machines.

They do flag the sides of the road all the way back. There is a community parking lot where everyone changes to the road rigs. There is usually a Thiokol and a jeep with Mattracks sitting there and some kind of really usless looking thing with really small tracks and a canvas cab that looks like a one person rig. The rest are snowmobiles.

Why do you think more cats are not made similar to a Tucker with four tracks and lockers?

As far as off the packed road in deep powder snow cating, is lighter always better?

Cletis

mattfidaho

Seems really stupid that Tucker does not come with lockers as standard equipment. I'm sure they are options on new machines.

They do flag the sides of the road all the way back. There is a community parking lot where everyone changes to the road rigs. There is usually a Thiokol and a jeep with Mattracks sitting there and some kind of really usless looking thing with really small tracks and a canvas cab that looks like a one person rig. The rest are snowmobiles.

Why do you think more cats are not made similar to a Tucker with four tracks and lockers?

As far as off the packed road in deep powder snow cating, is lighter always better?

Cletis
all of the 2000 xl have lockers standard.... and that is the light weight mountain top cat... utility access. the big heavy groomers it looks like it is an option on them... my guess is they would be working trails and would have less need for a locker?

http://www.sno-cat.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=6

track size vs weight in powder off the trail... light is better but you also need track size to give you the flotation.

mattfidaho

also different cats for different jobs.. a 2 track will turn on a dime, but you also lose traction either breaking or less power on the side to turn, but a 4 track they are all still full power but you cant flip it around in your own tracks.
I do wonder if tucker has the patent or something on the 4 track crab steer? I know lame tracks are close but they pivot in the middle of vs. having the tracks pivot under the cat.

I run both for work and search and rescue. and there is benefits to both types.

Cletis

Don't know if Tucker would be able to patent the four track crab steer feature.

Different equipment has been around for years with crab steer like a Telehandler.

Cletis

mattfidaho

Don't know if Tucker would be able to patent the four track crab steer feature.

Different equipment has been around for years with crab steer like a Telehandler.

Cletis

true,
and maybe it would be too much of a totally new design for a company who builds 2 track to go to a 4.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
also different cats for different jobs.. a 2 track will turn on a dime, but you also lose traction either breaking or less power on the side to turn, but a 4 track they are all still full power but you cant flip it around in your own tracks.
I do wonder if tucker has the patent or something on the 4 track crab steer? I know lame tracks are close but they pivot in the middle of vs. having the tracks pivot under the cat.

I run both for work and search and rescue. and there is benefits to both types.

I've run both a tucker 2000 and a lamtrack. Personally, I'd take the lamtrack over the tucker any day. With it pivoting in the middle vs the tucker setup, you don't get that "Shit, I'm falling off the trail" feeling you get with the tucker. Am saying that they don't get stuck. No. Anything will get stuck if you try hard enough. The lamtrack will also maintain better traction going over rough terrain due to the pivoting and articulating in the middle.

Cletis

Lighter foot print is usually better. You can have a #10,000 machine that goes better than a #3000 machine because it has wider tracks and therefor less ground pressure. Of course the type of cleats, horse power and transmission will all play a part in the overall performance in deep snow.

I'd start my decision process by figuring out the maximum width you can use for your trail and woods and considering if you plan on trailering it or not. Next I would consider if you want the flatbed capabilities, plow, pintle hitch, number of passangers etc.

Price can vary a lot so that may narrow your search right off the bat. An Imp and a LMC 1500 are basically the same class of snowcat but the prices are quite different as are the creature comforts. Newer Tuckers hold their value and typically go for over $50,000. Pisten Bully makes several small utility snowcats that are the cadillacs of the industry but are out of most peoples price range.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Lighter foot print is usually better. You can have a #10,000 machine that goes better than a #3000 machine because it has wider tracks and therefor less ground pressure. Of course the type of cleats, horse power and transmission will all play a part in the overall performance in deep snow.

I'd start my decision process by figuring out the maximum width you can use for your trail and woods and considering if you plan on trailering it or not. Next I would consider if you want the flatbed capabilities, plow, pintle hitch, number of passangers etc.

Price can vary a lot so that may narrow your search right off the bat. An Imp and a LMC 1500 are basically the same class of snowcat but the prices are quite different as are the creature comforts. Newer Tuckers hold their value and typically go for over $50,000. Pisten Bully makes several small utility snowcats that are the cadillacs of the industry but are out of most peoples price range.
you guys foorgot about the vw powered rigs snow trac snow master and kristi these are all priced verry affordable and a snow trac with its unique steering systen will go just about any place you need to go the snow master just does it better until you have to trailer it it' 6 inches too wide in most states and requires an oversize permit. snow tracks have a fully enclosed cabin and seat 6 kind of tight than there are always a kristi they are kind of unique and not some thing i would normaly recomend and even though it looks like an orange bathtub if you could pick up a unit that had been rebuilt like BigAl's i wouldn't be afraid of it.