• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac small boogie wheels

Stuart

Has anyone removed the bearings from the small boogie wheels on an ST 4. Looks to me like they are held in by a pressed in washer with a lip on it and to remove it would destroy the seals . If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated , I don't want to destroy anything if its not necessary. Thanks .....Brian

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you have a threaded nut you spin off while holding the other side.

Stuart

I have taken the nut off and pulled the piece the nut screws on to out of the boogie wheel ( the bolt that holds the wheel to the suspension slides through this piece). When that is off the bearings and seals are still in the wheel and appear to be held in by what I referred to as a washer with a lip on it that looks like it is pressed in. How to get the pressed in piece (one on each side of the wheel) that appears to hold the bearings and seals in is what I am wondering about.

Stuart

Based on the serial number breakdown that I got off Christer Morlinds website it was built in 1977

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you have the new style bearings and the system is supposed to be sealed also the older ones used a tapered roler bearing yours uses a special sweedish bearing which used to cost a lot more but alaska beaing was able to get them it's been so long since i pulled one down i can't remember what all had to happen but the parts break down should help you to see it

Stuart

Thanks for the info , the parts book that I have does not show a complete breakdown , it refers to it as a complete unit and shows a picture of it in one peice not broken down. Maybe I can find a copy of a newer parts book somewhere in the forum.

thanks again
Brian

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I'm going through mine right now, thought I would share some pic.
exploded view (sort of) of wheel assy
Just axle assy
Bare axle showing two step area
Inside of wheel bore showing boss that holds bearing in place
sizing of seal and bearings.

If the seals and bearings I ordered work, I will share the part numbers. They are listed in multiple catalogs though so should be easy to get.
This is from my '78 but I cannot confirm it is original
CT

Attachments

• Photo1448.jpg
    Photo1448.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo1449.jpg
    Photo1449.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Photo1450.jpg
    Photo1450.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Photo1451.jpg
    Photo1451.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Photo1452.jpg
    Photo1452.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
One interesting item on at least two of these: Someone had staked the ends with a chisel thus defeating the whole bearing system. It baffles me to know why they would do that.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
I replaced all of my bearings with sealed Chinese ones as well as new seals to help keep the water out. The washer with the lip easily presses out but I wasn’t concerned with saving the seals. My issue was that the seals had wore a very deep groove in the sleeve that is welded to the axle on one side and slips one the other end that is keyed. I chucked the axles in the lathe and cut the welds off and made new wear sleeves as well as a die to put the key in the removable one. Bearings and seals came from Amazon. Spend about $120 for 20 bearings and 20 seals.

Not sure I have any pictures to share but will post if I find them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBCPMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTSS3V0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought about going the sealed bearing route, but stalled at the point that water could accumulate between the bearings and without the grease movement to flush it be trapped until it froze possibly damaging the hub/bearings/seals. Guess I could pack the space to keep the volume down.

H'mmm have to give this more thought. The seals I got had the wrong lip style. Meant to keep grease in, more than water out.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought about going the sealed bearing route, but stalled at the point that water could accumulate between the bearings and without the grease movement to flush it be trapped until it froze possibly damaging the hub/bearings/seals. Guess I could pack the space to keep the volume down.

H'mmm have to give this more thought. The seals I got had the wrong lip style. Meant to keep grease in, more than water out.

Tucker turned the seals around, Well maybe the second - 13th owner turned them around. It was explained to me that the seal installed backward helped.

in regards to the sealed bearing. I put sealed bearings in but dig the inside seal out with a pick....

SnowTrac Hunter

One interesting item on at least two of these: Someone had staked the ends with a chisel thus defeating the whole bearing system. It baffles me to know why they would do that.

I have found this to be the case on several items. Previous owner rigged parts to work, but ended up causing failures in other parts. Not being familiar with various parts and thinking it was functional when I bought the rig caused me to have several breakdowns. Thankfully I have a brother who is a mechanic, and I have been able to ping Don and others for suggestions.

:hammer:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
thinking it was functional when I bought the rig caused me to have several breakdowns.
:hammer:

I have that Been There, Done That t-shirt as well. It wasn't until I tore down to rebuild the tracks that I found out just how close to a really long walk I was.