• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UTV Experts

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Question to the UTV experts:

I'm looking for a 4x4 UTV that has a rear differential so that it won't tear up the lawn. Polaris has their rear turf mode that disconnects one tire, making one wheel drive. That's just retarded, IMO. Even a cheap lawnmower has a differential.

Am I looking for a unicorn??

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm no expert and i'm not sure what your wanting in a utv but tires make a big difference.
my Yamaha rhino didn't damage our lawn.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
To be more specific, I'm looking for a UTV with a geared rear differential which, while in 2wd, will allow different rear wheel speeds to enable turning on turf without tearing it up.

I understand having less aggressive tires on the machine will allow the tires to slip on the grass.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If it has ag type tires the inside tire will tear up the grass w/ an open differential on a sharp turn. If so try turf tires.
Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe something lighter in weight like what cabelas sells?? hi sun
out of what I owned the Yamaha did the least lawn damage. aren't golf carts made to run on lawns?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I have a ground's keeper golf cart now. It isn't capable enough. Low on power, no 4wd, bad brakes, bad ride, etc.

I've looked at some of the Chinese knockoffs and was not impressed compared to the mainstream equipment. Lots of here today, gone tomorrow. Where would you get parts or service on these?

The 900 Polaris has their "versitrac turf saver" system which is an electrically locking rear diff. The Can-Am Defender also has an electric locking diff. From "building" one on the website it looks like the Can Am is $2000 cheaper as well.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the one I just bought is the opposite of what your wanting and has full time locked back end and lower stronger gearing. it aerates the lawn really good with one pass.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Lots of research later I bought a Can Am. A true differential in the rear, with an electronic lock, a viscus fluid limited slip front differential. Just what I was looking for.

CanAm Defender.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations!!!! That's a good looking machine.

I don't know much about these things but I have a JD Gator XUV and I haven't noticed it tearing up the yard and I run it a lot over the grass. I think that you'll have a lot of fun with yours.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. Congrats. I drove one of those when a friend stopped by. Fun fun fun. Enjoy. :thumb:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it look like a few options are on it. I was surprised how handy they are.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice. A few of the guys at camp have similar machines. They are nice for what they were built for.

My buddy has a new Polaris 570 similar to that. We took it for a spin this weekend. It's alright with plenty of power but I find it bulky and not very trail friendly. I much prefer the quad.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Large UTV's maybe fine for some. I think I would go just a bit bigger, and find an older CJ series Jeep, maybe a CJ5. Not much larger, more powerful, street legal to. No doors and just as easy, maybe easier to get in and out of.

Made of steel, not plastic and aluminum to. Easier to work on, no computers, or electronics I don't understand either.

JMHO, Kirk

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
The Honda 1000cc side by side has the differential your looking for. They advertise it as not destroying yards. And it's a Honda.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Large UTV's maybe fine for some. I think I would go just a bit bigger, and find an older CJ series Jeep, maybe a CJ5. Not much larger, more powerful, street legal to. No doors and just as easy, maybe easier to get in and out of.

Made of steel, not plastic and aluminum to. Easier to work on, no computers, or electronics I don't understand either.

JMHO, Kirk
you should get in and out of my cj5 on 33 inch tires with the acme hard to and large Armstrong power steering wheel option, than tell me how easy it is to get in and out of. yes I like the cj5 over a utv