• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UTV KNOCK OFFS

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a Kymco dealer in our small town who works on them and sells the parts. He is our only ATV dealer and seems to be selling quite a few locally. I have heard that Kymco is here to stay in the US and has a fairly decent reliable reputation as there dealers must be complete parts and service in a business location to be a dealer. Dargo, have you heard anything about this brand? Local service is very important. He ends up working on all brands and does a good job on all of his work from the customer I have talked to.

I have a 2008 Rhino 700 bought used with only 32 miles on it and it has been bullet proof with tracks or tires. It has about 1700 miles on it without any repairs except for normal service type maintenance.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kymco is not a knockoff. At least not in my book.
We have a Kymco dealer in our small town who works on them and sells the parts. He is our only ATV dealer and seems to be selling quite a few locally. I have heard that Kymco is here to stay in the US and has a fairly decent reliable reputation as there dealers must be complete parts and service in a business location to be a dealer. Dargo, have you heard anything about this brand? Local service is very important. He ends up working on all brands and does a good job on all of his work from the customer I have talked to.

I have a 2008 Rhino 700 bought used with only 32 miles on it and it has been bullet proof with tracks or tires. It has about 1700 miles on it without any repairs except for normal service type maintenance.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Actually Kymco is a Taiwanese company that has been around for a long time. They literally provided most of the parts for Honda until Honda got big enough to have their own plant and Kymco split off from them in 1963. BMW currently uses Kymco engines in some of their enduro bikes. There is a HUGE difference in Kymco vs the super el-cheapo Chinese brands like the one just mentioned. Kymco is actually a very well respected company with many name brand dealers carrying Kymco and proudly putting a Kymco sign right up with their Honda or Suzuki etc. sign out front. A Kymco will cost you about twice what you can buy a cheapo Chinese machine will.

The big difference is when a company like Kymco forges their own product line rather than a Chinese company that ignores copyrights and patents and makes extremely cheap "clones" of name brand products like the afore mentioned Hisun does with the Yamaha Rhino. I honestly take offense to that company because they intentionally try to market their product by lying and saying "It's just like a Rhino" but half the cost. :glare: NOT! That is exactly what I was talking about in the post here about a year ago where a neighbor thought he was getting the "same thing" as a Rhino only to find out he basically blew $6500 bucks on something that never ran right a single day and completely broke within a month with him never getting it fixed or anything from it's so called 'warranty'.

In my area a Kymco scooter or E-Ton scooter costs about twice what the cheapo Chinese junkers cost but rather than being disposable at around 1000 miles on them, they are just getting broken in. I've seen Kymco and E-Ton scooters at motorcycle dealers used with over 25k miles on them and still running fine. Again, those are two companies who promote their own product as what it is and do NOT "clone" (read; violate copyright laws) other products. Since I deal with auto, powersports and marine dealers all the time I get a bit offended at the Chinese junk that appears. Really, all they do is take money from people who can least afford to be ripped off. There may be others, but from personal experience working with dealers, warranty claims and actually seeing resale value, Kymco and E-Ton are the two 'not so well known' brands that stand out as being really well built and not just a pretender.

I just looked on eBay's completed auctions (they tell the real story; what really sold and for how much) and only 1 Hisun has sold, BUT it had a different engine installed in it from a Polaris or something. There are dozens of Kymco's that have sold as well as E-Tons. Those two brands are almost accepted as 'name brands' in many parts of the country since they've been around so long and have great track records.

Vicsvw

I have a Ranch Pony for about a month. Waiting for the oil filter adapter. It should be shipped tomorrow. After checking with supplier a order 5 gts. of Castrol Edge, so I could get the oil changed. Now there is a question on if it is OK to use the Castrol Edge 5w-30 oil. Can not find out if it will cause problems with clutch and drive belt. Importer said OK to use but I don't trust them. Help Please from any Castrol Edge users. Vic.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
is it a wet clutch? A wet clutch is one bathed in oil. If it is use a oil that is made for motorcycles with one.
some engine oil is made extra slippery and this may cause your clutch to slip.

Vicsvw

You get what you pay for. I have had one for 3 months and its been down for 2 months.
My fault since I wanted to change oil write away and no one had oil filters. Went for the filter adapter so I can use reg filters. The importer did not know you could not use Castrol pure synthetic and the"Jaso" rating was needed. Vic.

mudder

Looking for comments, reviews, opinions on hisun UTVs. Would like to hear from some folks who have actually own/owned one. I have been looking at reviews on several forums but there seems to be a lot of "I know a guy who had a friend who had a cousin who knew a guy that has one" stories. Or "I have a Yamaha and everthing else is crap". I have a Yamaha ATV, A Polaris ATV and a Susuki ATV, Arcticat Snomobiles and few more I will leave off. I like them all.
I have 2 hisun atv's , a 500 and a 700 , nothing but trouble with them since new, both are dead in the garage as I type this . the 500 is burning anti freeze and the 700 dumped it's anti freeze into the crank case and up into the air filter. gauges have never worked properly since new, they cough and sputter run like the rev limiter is always cutting in . had them in the dealer steady until warranty ran out and now they don't carry hisun any more. I'm have 12,000 bucks worth of junk now!.Take my advice and don't buy anything made in china. I could see if one of them were trouble and just "built on Monday" but both of them are garbage!