• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

small diesels

Paul Langtry

Has anybody installed a WINSUN 22hp V-twin 840cc A1biofuel or a Caroll Stream 20hp V-Twin 840cc Diesel engine in a Cushman Trackster? Or anyother atv ?

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the smallest I have dealt with are yanmar's hard to get parts for and dirty and lambardies which I found reliable and clean, but still hard to find parts like filters for.

Paul Langtry

thanks for the reply. I would like to replace the 25hp OMC gas engine in my Cushman Trackster with a 20 to 30 hp diesel. i'll look up the yanmar and lambardies. my Mf s174 tracktor was made by lambordies.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I believe you are barking up the wrong tree with a diesel trackster. the Cushman hydraulic system was intended to be run with an engine clocking from 6 to 8 k rpm you will never find an oil burner able to do that' also at 36 hp they were barely powerful enough so a 3 cylinder Kubota would be a minimum and the engine dressed will almost weigh as much as your trackster

Paul Langtry

Thank again for the reply. I have read before that the trackster hydros require high rpm's although many owners have installed 24hp Honda engines? I think maybe the WINSUN diesel turns 3600 for max. hp. [22hp.] Do you have any opinion as to this claim? Paul

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I know nothing about the winsun I do know a lot about the cushmans as I was looking at rebuilding one I had, than found the performance basicly sucked with most 4 stroke conversions due to their low rpm's and the fact they were already kind of under powered till they stepped up to a 40 hp 2 cycle motor. good luck keep us posted on how it goes if it were me I would look into something like an arctic cat 580 efi model and position the radiator so it would blow warm air on to me

Paul Langtry

Thanks, Your info is greatly appreciated[sp] and helpful. I'll keep you updated as to what if any thing I do about repowering my Trackster. I guess I'll use it as is til after hunting season and then start thinking about repowering after Xmas. Thanks again, Paul

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
a few engines i might look at if I were to make a super trickster, would be a 3 cylinder from a geo metro .or a Suzuki turbo four stroke engine from an arctic cat snowmachine ,and lastly a 3 cylinder from a mini truck. remember you have to have a way to adapt the governor to it to control your throttle or driving it won't be much fun trying to use the foot feed.

I think it boils down to what you want to use the Trackster for. If it is a project that you are interested in doing a lot of custom work to build something unique then some of your diesel ideas or Don's Arctic cat engine might be worth pursuing. if however you are trying to make a reliable off road track rig that you use consistently then I personally would recommend the Honda conversion that use to be available in kit form and the bugs have been worked out.

My experience with the Trackster is watching my neighbor use one to transport his family to their remote cabin. It had the original power plant and could have used a new muffler but it was fairly reliable. It was also very slow and was so load you could hear it a mile away and he had ear muffs for the whole family. Did I mention it was slow? So slow that the family would get out and walk because one, it was faster to walk and two, it was desirable to get away from the noise. He always wanted to do the Honda conversion but after a couple of years realized he would be better off with a side by side.

I think they were great back in the day but that day has come and gone.

Paul Langtry

My thought on the Winsun 22hp diesel engine was economic and more power. Although the engine turns up 3600 rpm it apparently is not high enough nor does it. provide enough torque. But ! Diesels run a lot longer on a gallon of fuel . Thanks for the reply . Paul