• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vail Colorado Snow cat Jamboree 2017

KT3survivor

haha I bet spacecraft would love this . I would like to do the out line of the 743 instead of the 542 but that's all I would change . good work KT3survivor

thanks man. I did think about doing a freighter and a KT3 but decided to pick a couple odd balls so it wouldnt look like i was playing favorites. it wouldnt be very difficult to change the model and color scheme at this point now that all the tedious pixle work is done. if i have some time i might play with a few ideas.

it would be awesome to see the weston snowboards cat. I have a friend named weston who might tag along, that would make his day for sure.

shinintimes

Hello I am very interested in attending the 2017 Vail Snowcat Jamboree. I have a 1963 Thiokol Spryte 1201 snowcat. We live pretty locally about two hours away. I am curious on how many people are going to attend? And some more possible details? I would like to attend. If someone could please get some more details going about all this that would be great! If not I would be interesting in going snow catting that weekend, with whomever! Please get back to me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red130

finally finished a final draft, here is my bid for the first annual vail cat jam rally sticker.

That's a fantastic decal! If I can make it I will probably unload at Camp Hale, which is a lot closer for me. How would I find everyone? Just head up toward Ptarmigan???

shinintimes

Very interested in attending the2017 Vail Snowcat Jamboree.
1963 Thiokol Spryte 1201
278ed540968ad63bd43de11b3c875235.jpg

KT3survivor

/\ thats a cool machine! i would fill you in but i just dont know enough. I assume we are doing camp hale saturday and montezuma sunday but thats just a guess. truth is its aaron tuckers show so i will let him fill you in on details but i'm sure everyone would love to see you attend. the more the merrier.

That's a fantastic decal! If I can make it I will probably unload at Camp Hale, which is a lot closer for me. How would I find everyone? Just head up toward Ptarmigan???

thanks man!
Im thinking once ontop it will be easy to gather up. hard to miss a bunch of snowcats above treeline.
anyone know if the trail that comes up from redcliff is open in the winter?? could be a fun scenic route. driven it in the summer.

shinintimes

Yeah I have posted on here hoping to get some more information. I also have texted Aaron about the event and have not heard anything back yet. Just not sure about the area? Been through there a few times. Would be great to get together and go cat around with the group. Not sure how many people are attending? Do you know? I have been looking at McCall but not sure it's a hell of a haul..

Archmage

I am not sure where to go also, I have not been up there before. Is there enough room to turn around a 75 truck with a lowboy? I do not have a small trailer to haul my cat on....

KT3survivor

here is a map of the vail pass-camp hale area. it seems huge, and it is but once you get on the trail system and up on top near machine gun ridge its easier to navigate the area. always lots of people snowmobiling and skiing up there (atleast everytime i have gone) so if you did get lost you could probably ask for directions to shrine pass or wherever you need to go.

Aaron Tucker

sorry boys I was busy working on the freighter all weekend .

shinintimes : I just text yah back give me a call and I can answer all your questions

Red130 yes you can unload at camp hail and cat to the top of ptarmigan pass . there will be sevral otheres there unloading from that side . you can look for a 543 tucker called (Mother Tucker) he is a friend and local. or call and I can give instructions there is cell service at Vail pass.

KT3survivor yes you can also assess ptarmigan from red cliff and it is open . but bring lots of gas because it is quite a haul and there is no gas station in red cliff.

Archmage yes Camp hail will have enough room for you to turn around .

I still need to make a trip to Zuma and check out the conditions for this year , that part is still up in the air because its a really gnarly area . I don't need anyone hitting a rock and making a rescue operation out of a snowcat jamboree lol.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe i missed the info on motel/hotel, is there one where the group is staying or is everyone on their own?

is the event based out of Vail?

when and where do we meet for the first day?

Aaron Tucker

The event will be based out of Silverthorne/Dillon/Frisco . There are several hotels There with ample parking . Silverthorne/Dillon/Frisco are basically the same town with in 3 miles of each-other

here is link to the local hotels , I would suggest the comfort inn and Bayamon hotel.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...54624,637&tbm=lcl&rldimm=16120528326908965989

We will be meeting the first day 7:00am at the Vail Pass trail head / exit off of interstate 70 exit 190 . here is a map link to that point .
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...3!3d39.52980313235575!3m2!1i1500!2i985!4f13.1

if you want to come to the camp hale side and meet at the saddle of ptarmigan you would be staying in red cliff and meeting at the camp hail trail head at this link . There will also be a local by the name of mother Tucker to greet at the camp hale side . NOVA guides is based out of camp hale as well
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...5!3d39.43546112044919!3m2!1i1500!2i985!4f13.1

Aaron Tucker

I would suggest as a group after the first day is over that we meet at a local bar to hang out enjoy each others company .

Hautesnow

After many past years of snow catting at Camp Hale, I would like to throw out a few suggestions for whatever they are worth:

-Staying in Leadville is my preference, although a bit of a drive to Camp Hale trailhead. Tennessee Pass road seems to always be easy and well maintained regardless of weather. Ski Cooper (small) is the only ski area in that area, so less traffic and crowds on that side. Lodging is more reasonable than Summit County side. A lot easier to maneuver trucks/trailers in Leadville at motels, grocery stores, gas stations and on side streets near restaurants/bars downtown. Cool historic, funky, old town, if you've never been there.
-Vail Pass trailhead is often a zoo, especially on weekends, with snowmobilers, so I avoid it.
-I would not advise trying to stay in Red Cliff if you are pulling a trailer. It looks like it is right on the highway, but isn't. Narrow road into canyon where town is. Suggest scouting it first without a trailer. Parking is tight.
-Camp Hale (north of Tennessee Pass) has an easy pull-off unloading area (seldom a requirement for backing-up a trailer there). Has always been plowed. Lot of room in that open valley to cat around or go up. We've often barbequed at trailhead.
-Nova Guides, located just north of there is a private snowmobile/dogsledding operation (in Pando) which may not welcome non-customers with trucks/trailers filling up their lot.

My two-cents worth of 'opinions' on the subject.

Aaron Tucker

After many past years of snow catting at Camp Hale, I would like to throw out a few suggestions for whatever they are worth:

-Staying in Leadville is my preference, although a bit of a drive to Camp Hale trailhead. Tennessee Pass road seems to always be easy and well maintained regardless of weather. Ski Cooper (small) is the only ski area in that area, so less traffic and crowds on that side. Lodging is more reasonable than Summit County side. A lot easier to maneuver trucks/trailers in Leadville at motels, grocery stores, gas stations and on side streets near restaurants/bars downtown. Cool historic, funky, old town, if you've never been there.
-Vail Pass trailhead is often a zoo, especially on weekends, with snowmobilers, so I avoid it.
-I would not advise trying to stay in Red Cliff if you are pulling a trailer. It looks like it is right on the highway, but isn't. Narrow road into canyon where town is. Suggest scouting it first without a trailer. Parking is tight.
-Camp Hale (north of Tennessee Pass) has an easy pull-off unloading area (seldom a requirement for backing-up a trailer there). Has always been plowed. Lot of room in that open valley to cat around or go up. We've often barbequed at trailhead.
-Nova Guides, located just north of there is a private snowmobile/dogsledding operation (in Pando) which may not welcome non-customers with trucks/trailers filling up their lot.

My two-cents worth of 'opinions' on the subject.

you are right !
we will be meeting up early to avoid the crowd on the Vail pass side .I was there at 11am on Sunday and had no problem parking. but with the amount of people coming to the Vail Jamboree we will be getting there as early as possible . If we run out of room there we can have the late comers head to camp hale . I've had to do that before .

Although NOVA guides is not always the most pleasant snow folks they do not own the area . there is tons of parking on the camp hale side. Leadville is a great place to stay aswell.

One of my main goals for this Jamboree is for everyone to spend the most amount of time in there cat as possible and not at the hotel or in the parking lots . I was able to explore Montezuma this weekend as well and I think we mit do one day back there Sunday the 19th,

here are some pics of that area . the only thing is its not groomed so we mit want some one with a blade to hit the road first . My Freighter did fine but lets face it, its a TUCKER lol . not sure of the capability of some other cats .

also has some couloir skiing

Attachments

• IMG_20170218_163442516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170218_163442516_HDR.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20170218_163457639.jpg
    IMG_20170218_163457639.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20170218_152850900.jpg
    IMG_20170218_152850900.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 482

Aaron Tucker

here are some more pics from Vail this last weekend . Ill get some clips uploaded soon .

Attachments

• IMG_20170219_140626089.jpg
    IMG_20170219_140626089.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20170219_145223122_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170219_145223122_HDR.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20170219_145421913_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170219_145421913_HDR.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 455

Aaron Tucker

the younger one (Sadie) loves the views and normally stays awake the whole time . her older sister was tired from sledding tho and took a nap

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
IMG_20161219_100618.jpg

IMG_20161213_104911.jpg

IMG_20161212_172948.jpg
Hello, Sean here. Aaron thanks for telling me about the snowcat jamboree when I met you in Dumont. I am bringing my modified 1987 bombardier br100 and some friends.

Aaron Tucker

Sean it was great to meet you and I welcome you to the Snowcat forums . cant wait to see you and your cat at the 2017 Vail snowcat Jamboree

KT3survivor

so its looking like i can only get 2 days off for this. friday-saturday is probably the way to go eh?? also, how many rally stickers should i have made? i was thinking around 20-25

Aaron Tucker

so its looking like i can only get 2 days off for this. friday-saturday is probably the way to go eh?? also, how many rally stickers should i have made? i was thinking around 20-25

Yes I would plan on Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be at Montezuma and it will be quite gnarly depending on how high every one wants to get . that sounds like a good amount to me . ill let you know if we get more cats then that .