• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snocat cab

battdad

Hello all. I am in the process of building my own snow cat. I was wondering if anybody might be able to point me in the right direction concerning the cab. I have been thinking of possibly building my own cab from scratch. Then I began wondering if there are any bone yards around that might have parts and pieces of old tuckers. I looked at a few pictures of older tuckers and thought that a 4-door version cab would suit my needs, that is if I could find one that was not over priced and needing to be completely rebuilt. My next question is, can anyone tell me what a cab of that nature might go for? I don't have my heart set on a tucker, I just thought that I could possibly make one work for my project, any other input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

undy

Sometimes the old just gets in the way. If you want a Tucker, do that. Otherwise, you might be a lot happier in the end if you just start from scratch. Taking an existing cab and then modifying it will take a lot of work and you'll encounter limitations imposed by the old parts. Build one with all new materials and it will be exactly to your desire, plus all new, and likely be of comparable costs.

I can't help you with any snowcat boneyard, other than perhaps Boggie has some parts vehicles from which to choose. If you go the modification route, a semi truck sleeper might be a starting point. ???

Sounds like a cool project, best wishes. BTW, where are you located?

battdad

I am in western Montana. I have a cab that came off of an old machine, but it is quite heavy. That is why I thought about building one but then the idea came to mind about the tucker cabs. I agree that building one would probably be better, just thought if I could find an existing cab it might save a little time. Someone else mentioned a truck sleeper but I think it might be a little too tall, although there is probably one out there some where that would work just fine.
Thanks for the ideas.

jeapadrenaline

battdad, you have some pics of your build to share?
we all love pics and vids, plus seeing what you already have built might lead to more ideas.
i am in the final stages of building a bombi/j5 from scratch and slightly smaller than the originals myself. have fun.

battdad

My project goes against most snowcat purist ideals about what a snow cat really is. I guess you could actually call my project a "snowtruck". I started with a wrecked 1992 chevy full size blazer, removed the body, and was left with just the frame and running gear. It has a throttle body injected 5.7, 700r4 tranny and independant front suspension. I then designed and built my own track frames to support 136 inch snowmobile tracks. I ended up with 136 inch tracks on the front and 141 inch tracks on the rear. I am not quite done assembling the frames but will be soon. Then on to the cab issue. I know...I know... I am going to get a lot of ribbing as to good and bad of this design, is it really a "snowcat"? No. But is it fun and interesting to build? Hell yeah.
I will try to post some pics of what I have accomplished but right now it is mostly a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH of parts scattered around my shop.
I still have a few ideas in my head as far as cab design and what might be a food retrofit but it will come together someday!

jeapadrenaline

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
comfort wise you will be dollars ahead and save a lot of time finding a good body off something like a jeep Cherokee, or another gm product gut it and strip what you don't want and slap it on that way you get your 4 doors and have somewhat comfortable seats wipers and heat and defroster al ready installed. I would look for something with out power everything that crap just adds weight what you want is a warm weather tight enclose. and jeep and gm products have good aftermarket support which will allow you to get new seat upholstery and floor mats or carpet.