• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wyoming tracked get together...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
mbseig and I decided a new thread for this get together would be in order. We are both very busy this time of year, but this AM I decided to start this new thread. As of now the dates are the 20th of Febuary or there abouts.. on that weekend anyway. Thursday thru Sunday...

Keep checking this thread as we get time more information will be posted here.:flowers:

Best regards, Kirk

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
That "grouchy old fart" that lived up here for a number of years plans to be around in late February to watch the action and keep you all in line. :whistling:

February is very cold so anyone coming to Wyoming should be very well prepared for some cold high elevation snow cat adventures.

Lead on Mike!:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe I will get with the 2 other locals around here at the same time we will make a short run as our days are short and post up some pics. I plan on doing the same with the Washington outing.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
basically what we have is Buffalo Wyoming on the east side of the mountains. It is the largest town in the immediate area. Then 45 miles west of Buffalo. Is the small remote Lodge of deer Haven. This is owned by Big Horn mountain resorts. He is in the process of restoring and refurbishing Meadowlark lake lodge also. The prices tend to be high and the food is passable.15 miles further west is the town of 10 sleep. This town is located off of the mountain. It is a 15 to 20 mile drive back east to where Snow Catting can begin.from Buffalo on the east side you would have to drive approximately 25 miles to reach our first trail.there is another lodge located 66 miles south off highway 16 it is called Willard Springs lodge. I think it would take 2 days to drive to this lodge. it is snow cat access only there are no roads in the winter time.

Last edited:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe I will get with the 2 other locals around here at the same time we will make a short run as our days are short and post up some pics. I plan on doing the same with the Washington outing.
Don we will have to bring you along via irlp for the trip!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
are you all going to have a krusty crushing event maybe you all could get one of Big Al's parts riggs. he isn't around to guard them.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck we would not have to drive that far. there are 3 of them in my local that are usually sitting along the trail broken down.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Local cabin owners. I think the cats are pretty capable they just need some maintenance.

Cletis

Only lived here 11mths, but haven't heard anything bad from any of the motels in Buffalo. Will be snowmobile season but there are many places to stay. Lodging probably won't be any cheaper in Buffalo. Few times I've been to the bars are very loud, very crowded, like as in standing room only. Bars on wk ends are the worst especially during tourist seasons. Food in Buffalo is average. Best eating is probably the Occidental hotel, but is not cheap.
I'd think the money saved staying in Tensleep would probably be spent buying gas or diesel there. Tensleep barely bigger than DeerHaven lodge.
Hwy 16 is usually well taken care of through the winter but driving back and forth may get old if your from out of town especially after a full day of fun. Was just up by DeerHaven a week ago and noticed several grilling outside, which is an option if one wanted to bring some eats along. Haven't been in the lounge at DeerHaven but says it's open til 8. The trails mbsieg mapped out are farely close to DeerHaven. Less trailering.
I haven't stayed there yet but if I were coming from out of town, I'd stay at DeerHaven, eat there or grill myself. Maybe drive to Buffalo one night if the wife were along to eat at the Occidental????? Bring lots of beer, rum, etc. and chill in the evening instead of driving back and forth. Just my 2cents.

Cletis

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would not be against the north side of the mountain but the snowmobile traffic up there is very heavy.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
just realized this is also presidents day week anywhere we go will be very busy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well now, is this presidents day going to be a good reason to move the date a bit?? Or just go with the flow??

I don't want to trailer very far each morning and night, so Deerhaven??

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

The East Tensleep trail, I don't think will have to trailer at all. The other two mbsieg mapped out look to be just a short trailer. I may be missing something though.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW a coworker recommended the z bar motel in buffalo. I may just grab a room somewhere and then as the dust settles maybe make a move. to where ever the group winds up.

I like the no trailer option.

Is dropping the cat somewhere an option and commuting to and from it?

Mike

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW a coworker recommended the z bar motel in buffalo. I may just grab a room somewhere and then as the dust settles maybe make a move. to where ever the group winds up.

I like the no trailer option.

Is dropping the cat somewhere an option and commuting to and from it?

Mike
Yes that would be what I reccomend on trailering. myself I would kind of vote for Buffalo. Knowing what they charge of the lodges for food and lodging I think you would be disappointed. A half hour drive each way might be well worth it. I shouldhave some more information from the grumpy old man to post in the near future on lodging and nightlife in Buffalo.:whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only lived here 11mths, but haven't heard anything bad from any of the motels in Buffalo. Will be snowmobile season but there are many places to stay. Lodging probably won't be any cheaper in Buffalo. Few times I've been to the bars are very loud, very crowded, like as in standing room only. Bars on wk ends are the worst especially during tourist seasons. Food in Buffalo is average. Best eating is probably the Occidental hotel, but is not cheap.
I'd think the money saved staying in Tensleep would probably be spent buying gas or diesel there. Tensleep barely bigger than DeerHaven lodge.
Hwy 16 is usually well taken care of through the winter but driving back and forth may get old if your from out of town especially after a full day of fun. Was just up by DeerHaven a week ago and noticed several grilling outside, which is an option if one wanted to bring some eats along. Haven't been in the lounge at DeerHaven but says it's open til 8. The trails mbsieg mapped out are farely close to DeerHaven. Less trailering.
I haven't stayed there yet but if I were coming from out of town, I'd stay at DeerHaven, eat there or grill myself. Maybe drive to Buffalo one night if the wife were along to eat at the Occidental????? Bring lots of beer, rum, etc. and chill in the evening instead of driving back and forth. Just my 2cents.

Cletis

We are on the same wavelength here... Like the idea of chilling instead of driving to and fro.... Anything else besides a grill to cook with? Interesting...

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
You may call deer haven and see if meadowlark will be open by then. I think there may be some kitchenettes over there?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
just so everyone is on the same page. There is going to be trailer of cats involved. even if you stay at the lodges there will be two days of trailering involved. Verses if we stay in Buffalo there would only be one day of trailering the cats involved and I could actually find enough trails on the east side to make it unnessisary to trailer the cats at all.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Which would make it a 20 mile drive via vehicle to buffalo. Vs driving 20 miles from deer haven to the cat praying area.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
it also just occurred to me if anyone is looking for a more rustic experience but nice cabin the Forest Service has a cabin approximately one mile from our snow cat staging area. that sleeps approximately eight to ten people I believe and rents for approximately $40 a night I will try to find the website once the national government gets their web sites back up.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I like how the shut down affects US citizens only but doesn't affect all this aid we are sending out to foreign country's who's citizens generally don't like us infidels any way.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd say the muddy cabin is a bit on the too rustic side for most of us....

Any more idea's on places to stay are welcome. Looking forward to the days!! Need to finish harvest first....

Any snow there yet??

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
yes the east side is doing well couple feet in places. The west not as good yet.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You farmers are soft.(jk) Muddy cabin has a crapper heat and a fridge.

I like the buffalo-drive-the-cat to half the places idea.
MC and hauling a little firewood would/could be fun

I am entertaining this as a pilot/learning project. (No rules) that way I am never disapoointed.... after a tow anywhere but the van will be a nice place to be..... :cool:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Mike you should have got that kristi you had looked at that way you could have a krsti crushing event.how ever some members could take offence to that

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
yes the east side is doing well couple feet in places. The west not as good yet.

Powder River Pass in Wyoming 10-16-13 looking southeast toward the Hazelton Peaks. Opening week of big game hunting season and most of the big game such as elk and deer have already moved to lower elevations to find areas to feed because the snow is already early December deep in many places.

Drive by pics by a fart in the breeze!!!!!!! :whistling:

Attachments

• 10=16-13 Snow.jpg
    10=16-13 Snow.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited: