• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the vw liquid cooled engines mate up to aircooled bell housings just fine with a need to just drill and tap 2 holes the slant configueation will fit under thwe hood with out modification of teh hood that's why i'm interested.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the vw liquid cooled engines mate up to aircooled bell housings just fine with a need to just drill and tap 2 holes the slant configueation will fit under thwe hood with out modification of teh hood that's why i'm interested.

And that could be mated for the RWD setup?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it's not a bolt up but darn'nd close also kenedy engeneering has adaptors to attach about any engine to a vw transmission they also can build special stuff too. there is an outfit in canada that builds addaptors to attach the engine of choice to your samari the 1.9 td vw being the most popular.

Laurentian

The 1.9TD has lots of torque, way heavier crank.
Not rev happy like the 1.6's.

I would guessmate the 1.9 at 50 heavier than
a 1.6TD just from moving them around on a skid I
used for storage. Good relibal moto if you do the TDI crank pully
mod. The little K14 turbo works great for a street car.

4Rescue

Interested to know how this ended up working out and if you ever ended up doing this/could do it again...

Also: Dammit, HOW did I not find this thread a year ago when I started my 1KZ-TE swap (STILL working on it because I didn't get in on the fun when Half-Cuts were readily available). I'm a Fellow Oregonian to boot!!!!! I also have a Salvage Company I could have used to "help" with the process coming into the US and based here in Portland Oregon. Let me know what became of this plan cause I'd LOVE to get involved in doing it again/helping with the process. I have several people wanting to do the same thing I'm doing, but the lack of Half-Cuts means it's a FAR more complicated process (like trying to find the right 4wd Oil-pan/strainer since most 1KZ-TE's you can find now are 2wd engines, or getting matching ECU's/Harnesses for the model of 1KZ-TE/trans. combo that you're swapping in etc. I've got a LOT of information on the swap process (parts numbers, crossover parts... everything) and an AMAZING "parts guy" in Japan for anything 1KZ-TE related....

This'll be a hell of a first post aye, but here she goes...

Like many, I'm a Diesel enthusiast. Folks have a '12 Jetta TDi Sport Wagon, we've had several 1.6 and 1.9 swapped VW Caddys (Rabbit Pickups) and I've been building early water-cooled VW's for Rally, Street and Track use for years now...

Most detrimental to my mental state: I went and moved to Australia for a few years and had my own HJ75 Landcruiser... yep, now nothing "perol powered" seems to cut it so I'm building my own LHD 1995 Hilux Surf using a 1KZ-TE... I've got an 1989 22RE 4Runner currently and I grew up in Toyotas as a child and am a committed "Toyota-holic" to be completely honest. Anyone who doubts these engines is not giving them a good shake... YES, there were some problematic models at one point and the 1kZ has had some issues, but it's usually down to simply solved problems, extreme heat/work loads or experimental modifications that were';t done right (although now there's a LOT odf knowledge out there about these engines)They're GREAT little engines and even the "TE" engines which some have less love for being electronically controlled can be tuned quite easily to make GREAT power numbers... Plus here in the US we seldom see the kind of duty cycles that the rest of the world (ROW) puts on their trucks both in terms of work load and environmental factors... I'm here in the PNW and I USE my rigs heavily and my littel 22RE Toyota has yet to elt me down, never had a single hiccup out of my Diesel Toyotas in Australia and I worked those trucks HARD even by my standards. Toyota makes an awesome diesel overall.

Would it be awesome to buy an easily swapable "crate engine" from Cummins (which they make BTW)??? Something like the 2.8L CRD engine they just showed lately in a Nissan Frontier (now that Cummins has gotten in bed with nissan)??? Absolutely, but Toyotas Diesels are world renowned engines, and while some have issues and aren't up to modern "snuff", the 1KZ-TE is a VERY good engine and any issues can be solved even here in the US (I have "a guy" for parts and anything I need). What I'm MOST hopeful for is that this is Toyota waiting to see if Nissan and the others making small diesels have success in the "generally un-knowledgeable and typically stupid" US car-buying public and will, when redesigning the Tacoma give us a more 'rest of the world" 9read HILUX) style truck and diesel engines in our vehicles... they've got the engines to do it in ANY vehicle anyone could need between themselves and their current "D4d range" and their Hino Comercial engines... Sorry, off my soap-box now...

Anyway,

Cheers

Dave

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interested to know how this ended up working out and if you ever ended up doing this/could do it again...
Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Never gone through with it. I deal a bit with exporting into Russia on regular basis, and have clients there that mentioned to me that it would be possible to bring a container load of half cuts, either out of eastern Russia, or Japan directly, its a matter of figuring out how to get them through customs here in US, making sure that we dont "break" any laws, etc.

I personally never doubted reliability of Toyo engines, thus wanted to put a 1KZ-te into my previous Wrangler, but now run a TLC100series as my adventure rig, and that 4.7L. isnt to my liking for its hungry appetite.

Thus 1HD-te (the 4.2L power plant) is in the planning for the swap, it was the original engine used in Europe & Japan in production.

One day - I'll get there...

At this point, just thinking of using the 1KZ-te (2WD version) in my snowcat restoration, but that only a consideration...

4Rescue

AH, gotcha... Bummer!!! But as I said, if you're still "working" on this idea then I'd love to pitch in help any way I can.

Plus if you need any parts numbers for 4wd stuff to convert your 2wd Engine for 4wd use just give a shout cause I've got it all sorted out (and a great connection with a JDM parts suplier actually in Japan who are indispensable to us N.American Toyo Diesel guys) and I'm always happy to help out fellow swappers/DIY'rs cause let's face it, if we don't help each other... who WILL right???

Where in OR are you if you don't mind my asking??? I see you mention you've got a 100-series Adventure rig... any chance you're an Expo Portal Member??? If not check out the site (Expeditionportal.com ...I'm 4Rescue over there too) cause I'd be willing to bet you'd like the focus of the boards/site and it's a GREAT place with a lot of good connections/fellow 4wd Adventrurers and a large contingency from the PNW to boot, and some really neat builds (including a 60-series body onto an 80-series chassis with a built to the hilt Super-charged Nissan TDv-SD33T I think- out of an Aussie Patrol!!!!!! SO beyond Cool)

I also wasn't trying to call into doubt your Toy Diesels either mate, just trying to add my.02 and maybe quell some of the "I've read that" criticism that I was reading from others about this engine. I love the 100-series as well (I love all Cruisers except the new 200-series "thing"), but again, once you've experienced the miracle of the Diesel engine/over-built 4wd combo, the mileage/power delivery of our US Spec. Toyotas just makes you depressed... The 100 is a GREAT rig, and the UZJ V8 certainly has the Diesel beat in the high-speed highway cruising game in terms of passing power, but sadly I've driven a Turbo'd 105-series with a manual trans... yeah, it was a really neat truck and just depresses me even more when I look at what were "offered" (read; forced to accept/not allowed to order in because of our government's bureaucratic entities trying to strong arm companies into PAYING through the nose to "certify" vehicles here... sorry, but if a Smart Car can pass ANY form of crash regulations, so can a 70-series Cruiser) as if we "don't need" Diesels and Manual transmissions aye.

As I said, I got to experience what I consider to be "ideal" trucks over in OZ (I lived/worked on a Cattle Station in Central QLD for over 5 years) from my own 1H powered 75-series Ute Chassis with a Low-Pressure turbo-system on it to an FJ45 P/U, several 70-series Troupies with the same Turbo set-up as my Ute, an HDJ80-series and one of my favorites next to the 70's, a Manual trans. 105 Series with another LP Turbo set-up (those 1H's won't make the power of the new D4d V8 TD, but they'll make more then enough and run forever if you don't put to "extreme" a turbo system on them as the pistons don't like the added stress/compression/hot-gasses being blasted onto the piston head face and can actually melt holes in the piston head surface, but the LP system really did retain ALL the reliability and made more then enough power to haul my Ute and the Troupies over hill and dale all day long, loaded to the gills (I'd routinely fill the 'Aussie Ute Bead" heaped over the top of the truck with fire-wood I'd go out and cut 1-2x a day for the kitchen fires and it never had a single issue fording creeks up to the window sills or cruising at 100kph across the center of the country on overland trips when the ambient temps were well over 125F and DRY HOT so I'm pretty dam comfortable with putting a 1KZ into my truck being that my biggest issue will be steep grades, not extreme temps (where the 1KZ's seem to need a bit of help to "help" the stock cooling systems) and a LOT of the issues with a 1KZ-TE comes down to the emissions programming in the ECU retarding the ignition so much that it increases carbon emissions intentionally to reduce NOx emissions and can be pretty easily modified using the "potentiometer/variable resistance control mods" that are all over the Aussie Surf Forums I spend a lot of time reading aye.

It also sounds like you've got some knowledge of Russia, which I'd LOVE to pick your brain over cause despite our current political BS (politicians ruin the world for those of us who just want to see it don't they... so bloody sad) I still want to do a trip over to E.Europe and into Russia through to China someday... I've been fascinated with Russia for quite some time after coming home from Australia cause it's got SO much space to explore and such amazing history/country to go experience too aye. That's one of my top "bucket list" items, that trip through Russia to China. At this point it's a dream, but sometimes dreams can be turned into reality with enough hard work and education aye. I think my First trip with the Diesel is gonna be a PNW shake-down run then I'll hit the Dawson/Dempster up to Alaska with the wife to finally get to do that drive on my own terms in my own rig and see my family/get to go play.

Sorry for my gibber jabber mate, I could talk Diesel Toyotas and exploration/adventrue for ever and ever...

Cheers

Dave

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
AH, gotcha... Bummer!!! But as I said, if you're still "working" on this idea then I'd love to pitch in help any way I can.

Plus if you need any parts numbers for 4wd stuff to convert your 2wd Engine for 4wd use just give a shout cause I've got it all sorted out (and a great connection with a JDM parts suplier actually in Japan who are indispensable to us N.American Toyo Diesel guys) and I'm always happy to help out fellow swappers/DIY'rs cause let's face it, if we don't help each other... who WILL right???

Where in OR are you if you don't mind my asking??? I see you mention you've got a 100-series Adventure rig... any chance you're an Expo Portal Member??? If not check out the site (Expeditionportal.com ...I'm 4Rescue over there too) cause I'd be willing to bet you'd like the focus of the boards/site and it's a GREAT place with a lot of good connections/fellow 4wd Adventrurers and a large contingency from the PNW to boot, and some really neat builds (including a 60-series body onto an 80-series chassis with a built to the hilt Super-charged Nissan TDv-SD33T I think- out of an Aussie Patrol!!!!!! SO beyond Cool)

I also wasn't trying to call into doubt your Toy Diesels either mate, just trying to add my.02 and maybe quell some of the "I've read that" criticism that I was reading from others about this engine. I love the 100-series as well (I love all Cruisers except the new 200-series "thing"), but again, once you've experienced the miracle of the Diesel engine/over-built 4wd combo, the mileage/power delivery of our US Spec. Toyotas just makes you depressed... The 100 is a GREAT rig, and the UZJ V8 certainly has the Diesel beat in the high-speed highway cruising game in terms of passing power, but sadly I've driven a Turbo'd 105-series with a manual trans... yeah, it was a really neat truck and just depresses me even more when I look at what were "offered" (read; forced to accept/not allowed to order in because of our government's bureaucratic entities trying to strong arm companies into PAYING through the nose to "certify" vehicles here... sorry, but if a Smart Car can pass ANY form of crash regulations, so can a 70-series Cruiser) as if we "don't need" Diesels and Manual transmissions aye.

As I said, I got to experience what I consider to be "ideal" trucks over in OZ (I lived/worked on a Cattle Station in Central QLD for over 5 years) from my own 1H powered 75-series Ute Chassis with a Low-Pressure turbo-system on it to an FJ45 P/U, several 70-series Troupies with the same Turbo set-up as my Ute, an HDJ80-series and one of my favorites next to the 70's, a Manual trans. 105 Series with another LP Turbo set-up (those 1H's won't make the power of the new D4d V8 TD, but they'll make more then enough and run forever if you don't put to "extreme" a turbo system on them as the pistons don't like the added stress/compression/hot-gasses being blasted onto the piston head face and can actually melt holes in the piston head surface, but the LP system really did retain ALL the reliability and made more then enough power to haul my Ute and the Troupies over hill and dale all day long, loaded to the gills (I'd routinely fill the 'Aussie Ute Bead" heaped over the top of the truck with fire-wood I'd go out and cut 1-2x a day for the kitchen fires and it never had a single issue fording creeks up to the window sills or cruising at 100kph across the center of the country on overland trips when the ambient temps were well over 125F and DRY HOT so I'm pretty dam comfortable with putting a 1KZ into my truck being that my biggest issue will be steep grades, not extreme temps (where the 1KZ's seem to need a bit of help to "help" the stock cooling systems) and a LOT of the issues with a 1KZ-TE comes down to the emissions programming in the ECU retarding the ignition so much that it increases carbon emissions intentionally to reduce NOx emissions and can be pretty easily modified using the "potentiometer/variable resistance control mods" that are all over the Aussie Surf Forums I spend a lot of time reading aye.

It also sounds like you've got some knowledge of Russia, which I'd LOVE to pick your brain over cause despite our current political BS (politicians ruin the world for those of us who just want to see it don't they... so bloody sad) I still want to do a trip over to E.Europe and into Russia through to China someday... I've been fascinated with Russia for quite some time after coming home from Australia cause it's got SO much space to explore and such amazing history/country to go experience too aye. That's one of my top "bucket list" items, that trip through Russia to China. At this point it's a dream, but sometimes dreams can be turned into reality with enough hard work and education aye. I think my First trip with the Diesel is gonna be a PNW shake-down run then I'll hit the Dawson/Dempster up to Alaska with the wife to finally get to do that drive on my own terms in my own rig and see my family/get to go play.

Sorry for my gibber jabber mate, I could talk Diesel Toyotas and exploration/adventrue for ever and ever...

Cheers

Dave

Been on ExPo for a while there as well, have few thread on other rigs that I've built, but not the 100 series (LX470)...

Havent gotten to it yet.

I'm in Salem...

Keep in touch,

4Rescue

Been on ExPo for a while there as well, have few thread on other rigs that I've built, but not the 100 series (LX470)...

Havent gotten to it yet.

I'm in Salem...

Keep in touch,
Aha, awesome, I wondered if maybe you weren't an Expo'r as well... Small world aye. Is your screen name Nikson over there too??? I'll have to look up your GX build but I'm suddenly thinking I remember it...

I shall keep in touch mate, best to ya.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Oh Nikson I forgot to ask:

In all your research have you come up with a weight on the 1KZ-TE engine dry or wet??? I'm trying to sus out front springs for the SAS and I can't seem to find a reliable weight figure anywhere.

Cheers

Dave

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
havent got any specific numbers...

as far as ExPo - no build thread there yet, once I get some time together from other things, LX's build thread will be started...

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I have a Toyota 2J series 4 cyl.diesel in a 5000# capacity forklift that was traded in to me. It starts & runs perfect.

Has a hyd pump driven off the timing cover that would be great for a hyd system on a sno-trac type vehicle.

You can use this lift to disassemble your machine to prep for the diesel conversion.

Engine history here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_J_engine

Take the whole forklift running & operating for $2500

Located in north central Ohio

Bring a flatbed & I'll set it on your truck or trailer for you after you buy lunch ! :whistling:

Attachments

• 0617140943.jpg
    0617140943.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 0617140944.jpg
    0617140944.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 130