• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking to buy a sno-cat. Any for sale under 15k?

Jbinginvermont

Looking to buy a sno-cat of some sorts to get my family from the bottom of our road to our cabin in vermont. About a mile up a dirt road that is just to costly to plow. Looking for something that runs well without too much tinkering out of the box to get me through the season. I have a few old land rovers so i know about TLC but just cant launch into a project now or it wont serve its purpose. Something that can go through the deep stuff dependably is what we are after. The mid-70s tuckers seem to be at the top of my list. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Still trying to digest my 4k plow bill for December...

-Jon

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Looking to buy a son-cat. Any for sale under 15k?

Jon,

I realize you're probably looking to buy one "now" as opposed to waiting but I would highly recommend giving some careful thought as to exactly what you want and then searching for that.

In the mid-seventies Tucker was transitioning from their steel track pontoon system to the rubber belt and grouser system. I'd argue the rubber belt and grouser tracks are more desirable. The steel track system uses a special flanged bearing on each side of the grousers. They are no longer available from Tucker, and the last price I've heard of was about forty bucks each and those were reproductions (also sold out).

I'd also give careful consideration to the cab style you want. Tuckers came in two door (think standard cab pickup), four door (think crew cab pickup), and three door (think old Chevy Suburban with one rear door and two front doors). The two door models are by far the most common (and in my opinion the least desirable).

Lastly I'd recommend getting one in nice shape. Typically Tuckers were purchased for use as groomers by ski areas (or other entities) as well as by various governmental agencies and by utility companies. The groomers tend to lead a hard life of abuse and poor maintenance. The utility company machines usually don't get many hours and are well maintained. The ones used by the government fall in the middle.

I wouldn't limit your search to the local area. Tucker only builds 50-100 machines a year. So finding your ideal machine locally would be darn near impossible. The cost to transport one, while not cheap, pales in comparison to the costs associated with buying one locally that needs significant repair.

Good Luck!

deerhunter

Hi: Check out my Aktiv ST-4B it is in Vermont and totally redone. Will haul 7 plus your gear. Light weight and runs great. Look at post under "ST-4B by deerhunter" Thanks Deerhunter

meanjean

Ever logon to ebay? Always a snowcat or two for sale on the site. I looked at a Pisten Bully last weekend, in Rome, NY. that was listed up for auction. I contacted the sellers and went up to take a look at it. A 1991 machine, 200 hp. mercedes turbo, 8 way blade, etc. 2 man cab, Recarro seats... Nice machine. Ran great, but too extensive a machine for my needs. Anyway, it sold today for about $13750.00. That would make a nice machine for use in your situation, as was mine also: camp access in winter. Good luck.

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter

It's the maintence on a pistonbully that gets expensive,:unsure: but a great machine.

Laurentian

This in Vt.
Pm me and I can put you in touch withg him.
They are mushroom farmers and use the cat for winter logging
and another long driveway.
$7500.00 last time I asked

Model: 1542
Curb vehicle weight: 5840
Max load in cab: 1800
Gross vehicle weight: 7640

Year: 1976
Model: 1542
Serial no: 3763223
Motor no: LH318882. E273764

deerhunter

jbinginvermont: are you still looking for a machine to get to your cabin? If so I have the prefect fit....easy lightweight towing, low maintaince VW power train, totally rebuilt, Aktiv ST-4B, I can deliver. Comes with a deck-over trailer you can tow behind you PU or SUV and it is here in Vermont. Please call me---at least take a look at it. Thanks Rolie 802-373-5736

e2spear

Blazer with tracks , best money spent for what you are looking for. You can buy a cheap one for less then a hydraulic motor on a PB.