• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back pain verus Kidney pain..

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have had a fused back because of a old Industrial injury for over 20 years . Back pain is something I live with most days and deal with it . Lately my back has been driving me nuts . I just automatically figured it was my back acting up to the lousy weather and me over taxing it again . It has put me down in bed for 4 days now. This afternoon I got to thinking maybe it may be something else . I have never had kidney stones but am told they are very painful . Every once in a while I will feel like someone stabs me with a knive in the small of my back on the left side of my spine . The pain can drop me on the floor when it happens .

Getting into a doctor requires a 175 mile trip to town and usually an appointment so I am looking at the web to see what Home cures may be avalible .

It appears that drinking a lot of water may help . Has anyone done a Kidney Flush and do they work ? :unsure:
I gotta get back to work soon , this laying around is worst than the pain

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Water will help the kidneys work easier. As far as kidney stones it is well known fact that Dr. pepper makes boulders in your kidneys!:w00t2: Seriously, soda is hard on you. If you drink a lot of it the results are bad news. I drink water and lots of it. several gallons a day when it is hot and it does help keep things flushed out. You may end up getting them ultrasonic pulverized to be able to pass them. Bczoom is kind of an expert on them and can help you out.:flowers:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with mule on this one drink till your pee is clear and copious!

My Dad said when he was passing them it was like pissing razorblades doesn't sound like a trip I want to make.

tom

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have had a bunch of kidney stones.

DRINK WATER. DRINK MORE WATER. WHEN YOU ARE DRINKING WATER WHILE YOU ARE PEEING THEN YOU HAVE ONLY HAD 1/2 OF THE WATER YOU NEED. KEEP DRINKING WATER.

Allen, in all seriousness, I peed this out of my weenie:
k2.jpg

k1.jpg

Yes, it hurt.

Did I mention that you need to drink water?

If you'd like me to describe the pain, first, nail your scrotum to a board and then have a dozen kick-boxers kick the board. That is just a prelude to the pain.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Calcium . . . from chewing on "Tums" and drinking milk, and eating cheese.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Try Cranberry juice for a couple of days and see if that relieves it. My grandfather actually died having kidney stones removed though not the cause of his death as his heart wasn't up to it really. At any rate I've never had a kidney stone but have had kidney problems through the years and the cranberry juice is like a flush for them. Now if it doesn't get better or if it gets worse see a doctor regardless as they now can bust them up with sound waves which didn't exist in my grandfather's case.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ooooh! I feel your pain! I had stones with I was 19. Worst pain ever! Right in the area you described. Like a hot knife stabbing me right in my left side beside the spine below the rib cage.

Mine were too big to pass. Had to get the lithrotripsy treatment(which was almost as bad as the initial attack). Had a shunt tube installed for a few weeks to bypass the kidney passage that was blocked by the stone.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had lithotrypsy treatment and it was a piece of cake. Was in the hospital on a morphine drip on thursday, they gave me a list of hospitals that had it in the area and one which days they performed the treatment (it was set up on a rotation) and I simply scheduled it for the following Monday morning. I was back to work on Wednesday, good as new. I was sedated during the procedure and felt no pain.

FWIW, the stone in the pictures above was passed while I was in the hospital for foot surgery. I had an attack while I was under strong pain killers and passed the stone. Doctors didn't even know I was having the kidney stone attack until after it passed. Thank goodness for the pain killers. Don't know what I was on for the foot surgery . . . but it worked for the kidney stones.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No morphine or pain killers or sedation for my lithotrypsy treatment. I took the pain like a man. Was wide awake and not given anything. Basically, come in, lay down, they strapped me to the table so I couldn't move an inch. Then started zapping every couple seconds for an hour straight. I don't wish that on anyone

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You said "every once in awhile I will feel like someone stabs me with a knive in the small of my back on the left side of my spine . The pain can drop me on the floor when it happens."

That doesn't sound like a true symptom of a kidney stone. The pain of a kidney stone is normally constant and cannot be suppressed. If it is a stone, it may be small and not fully blocking the ureter. The ureter is the tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. Half the pain of a stone is the stone as it pretty much rips through that ureter. The constant pain is the pressure being built up in the kidney from fluid volume.

So, if you have an occasional sharp pain, it could be a stone but if it is, it's most likely pretty small and will pass without much issue (other then then pain). As noted, lots of fluids.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Al,
Based on where and how you describe the pain, I'm not so sure you are experiencing kidney stones and while drinking a lot of fluids can help pass a stone, drinking a significantly more than average amount of fluids can stress the heart as we get older and especially if there is a history of high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary artery disease, heart valve issues, if you have a murmur....

I realize your seeing a doctor entails a long trip but if your pain is severe enough and different enough to cause you concern, it is for your safety and best interest to make an appt and head on out to the doc. I hope you get relief.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK.....:sad: I decided its not Kidney problems .I turned over in bed last night and something felt like it snapped in the back . Talk about sore this morning . I guess I just overdid it down at the apartments . I'll take another day off .:unsure:

Heat and ice are being used today .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn it Al! All this drinking and pissing discussion and it turns out you are just getting OLD!:whistling::yum::yum: