• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sprayer hook-up

k-dog

I just got a new 15 gallon sprayer from TSC on sale for $69.99. I'm wanting to put it on a carry all to hook up to the 3pt hitch on my tractor, but I'm gonna run if off of a battery and I'm guessing it should be a marine style battery but not sure what type I need or anything. I know I could run it off my tractor but I would rather use the battery setup I can use it on other tractors as well. Suggestions are welcome on a setup and battery size.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You'll want a deep-cycle marine battery.

We will need some amperage info on the pump to determine size. How many hours per day do you want to run it?

I'd also get a marine box for it. Nice/clean way to mount and store the battery.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like the pumps are somewhere around a 6 amp draw.

For a battery, it'll say "RC" (Reserve Capacity) or "Ah" (Amp Hours)

For RC, if it says 120, that's the number of minutes it will provide a 20 amp load without the battery falling below 10.5 volts.

So....
120 minute reserve (at 20 amps) = 2400 amp minutes.
2400 amp minutes = 6 amps for 400 minutes = 6.67 hours.

Ah
If your battery says a value for Ah, that's the number of hours by amps.
E.g. if the battery says 100 Ah, it can supply 1 amp for 100 hours or 5 amps for 20 hours.

All that said, the bigger your battery is in RC or Ah, the slower it'll discharge. A slowly discharged battery will last longer then one that's discharged quickly. So, the bigger the battery you get, the longer it should last. When charging, a slow charge is better then a quick charge. It's best not to charge at over 10% of the CCA rating of the battery. E.g. if it's a 650CCA battery, it's best not to use the 10 amp or larger charge option from your charger. Use the 2 amp option and let it go overnight.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got a new 15 gallon sprayer from TSC on sale for $69.99. I'm wanting to put it on a carry all to hook up to the 3pt hitch on my tractor, but I'm gonna run if off of a battery and I'm guessing it should be a marine style battery but not sure what type I need or anything. I know I could run it off my tractor but I would rather use the battery setup I can use it on other tractors as well. Suggestions are welcome on a setup and battery size.
I've got the same spray rig and i built a deal I can take on and off easily that i carry on the back of my ole harley golfcart to spray the perimiter of the property. I just use one of the jumper battery packs and clip the alligator clips on the jumper cable ends on the battery pack.

If it has a full charge it will run the sprayer for at least a couple of hours and several refills of the spray tank. The most I have sprayed in one day was around 115 gallons and it never did run out of power, plug it in overnight and your good to go the next morning. Works for me anyway and I dont have the expense of another battery, I allready had the charger pack. :wink:

jwstewar

I have the same sprayer. I know you mentioned a battery, but what I did was put a normal 7-pin trailer plug on the back of the tractor and wired up all of the connections on it except the electric brakes (at least not yet:yum:). I power the spray rig from that and as a bonus, I can plug my trailers in and have functioning lights on them as well.

k-dog

Thanks for the replies. I haven't opened the box yet but on the outside it said 4 amps. I never gave it a thought to use a jumper box plus that means I can get another toy:biggrin: I think I may go that route as the most I will use it is probably an hour or two at a time and only a couple of times a year to spray my fence rows and other objects I spray around. It got real old dragging around the old 3 gallon hand sprayer up and down the fence rows. It sounds like if I decide to go the battery route I wouldn't need a huge one for the amount of time I'm using it for.
Any tips when using one of these sprayers are welcome as well. I'm currently using spectra side total vegetation killer along the fence row and have to use it three times a year. Anyone have any suggestions on the type of chemical to use. I'm always open for suggestions

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I haven't opened the box yet but on the outside it said 4 amps. I never gave it a thought to use a jumper box plus that means I can get another toy:biggrin: I think I may go that route as the most I will use it is probably an hour or two at a time and only a couple of times a year to spray my fence rows and other objects I spray around. It got real old dragging around the old 3 gallon hand sprayer up and down the fence rows. It sounds like if I decide to go the battery route I wouldn't need a huge one for the amount of time I'm using it for.
Any tips when using one of these sprayers are welcome as well. I'm currently using spectra side total vegetation killer along the fence row and have to use it three times a year. Anyone have any suggestions on the type of chemical to use. I'm always open for suggestions
Just dont spray into the wind like I just gone done doing, is my only suggestion. :bangin: That and dont let it run dry, have to be carefull when your on a slant when the tank is low. :wink:

I just use the generic roundup concentrate from Attwoods farm supply, it was on sale this week for 26.95 a gallon, same damn stuff as roundup if not better IMO. I also use a poison ivy/brush killer to in the mix but not more then a few onces per tank full, I cant remember the brands but I can get them if you need me to.

It has an adjustable nozzle also thats good for shooting a stream to about 20 feet or so i use for getting along the river bank where i cant get down to. Good luck and enjoy killin shit. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like Cowboy I use the generic roundup from our farm supply called Bulldog. I add in some Thompsons brush killer and mix it with HOT water and a gallon of diesel. Once a year is all it takes for my fenceline and other areas. Don't let it drift with the wind or you will brown other things. It is also great for painting messages to folks.:whistling:

loboloco

I have one similar. It came with jumper hook ups so I just run it off the tractor battery.
I use it mostly for spraying Virginia copperleaf.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the electric, you'll want some way to turn off the sprayer from the seat.

A setup I did which I like. I wired in a tractor light to shine on the 3-point area. It has its own switch. I put in a quick-connect back near the light. 364 days a year, the backup light is plugged in. The other day of the year, I wire in the sprayer with the corresponding quick connect.

These are the connectors I use
014367-A_mn.jpg

k-dog

I finally got around to using my sprayer setup. I used a jumper box for power and it worked great. I put it on the back of a 4 wheeler as I will only use it a couple of times a year. Wow what a difference it makes versus using a hand held sprayer. I have to get some more concentrate and hope to finish up my spraying for now.
One other question I had is do you leave any mix in the tank or is it best to clean it out after each use? I plan on pumping RV anti-freeze through it for winterizing it, but was curious what to do between uses in season. I only run weed killer through it, nothing else.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
While it is always a good idea to flush some clean water through it after using it will not hurt it if you don't. Most all of the pumps are plastic and stand up to the chemicals pretty well. When winter comes I make sure to have mine in a heated area. The rv anti-freeze will work if it is not diluted with water. Make sure you pump it through the wand also.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally got around to using my sprayer setup. I used a jumper box for power and it worked great. I put it on the back of a 4 wheeler as I will only use it a couple of times a year. Wow what a difference it makes versus using a hand held sprayer. I have to get some more concentrate and hope to finish up my spraying for now.
One other question I had is do you leave any mix in the tank or is it best to clean it out after each use? I plan on pumping RV anti-freeze through it for winterizing it, but was curious what to do between uses in season. I only run weed killer through it, nothing else.
I rinse mine out religiously after every use to make sure its ready to go for the next time, but i do use it for insecticieds to so i cant take a chance of cross contamination. :wink:

But FYI, the little screen filter will tend to get a cotton like substance growing over it if the chemical is left even over night i have noticed, its not all that easy to clean either so you might want to stock up on some extra screens just in case. I have my /pump mounted on board that just slips in brackets on my golfcart, so when it gets colder i just make sure its in one of my heated areas that will never freeze. Glad to here it is working out for you though. :smile:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Like Cowboy I use the generic roundup from our farm supply called Bulldog. I add in some Thompsons brush killer and mix it with HOT water and a gallon of diesel. Once a year is all it takes for my fenceline and other areas. Don't let it drift with the wind or you will brown other things. It is also great for painting messages to folks.:whistling:

Muleman, I have to ask what the diesel does since it floats on top of the water?
Mike