• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chasing cows back home ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took the family out to dinner tonight. On the way up to the suburbs we see a bunch of cows too close to the road. I slow down and one steps out onto the road. Toot the horn, she looks at me, steps back off the road. The house where the cows are grazing appears to be abandoned (for a very long time). But there is a fenced field on the far side of the house and its full of cows.

Being college edu-ma-cated I put 2 + 2 together and figure the cows on the road must belong in that field.

I see no gate, but I do see a creek. Hmmmm. Do I really want to chase cows through a creek and then go eat dinner?

Change of plans. Pull into the next driveway. Wife goes up to the door. Alerts him that about a half dozen cows seem to have escaped. Let him get muddy before dinner!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't bother even telling folks any more. They are so lazy about keeping after fences around here. Seems like my next door neighbor and I have the only good fence around. We have never had to chase our own cattle but everybody else seems to have theirs out a lot.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am quite sure the farmer was hapy you took the time to stop and tell him. It's a lot better way to find out than a call from the Sheriff's department. Don't ask me how I would know.....

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You actually did the right thing. For one, yo cannot "assume" tose wer his cows, simply because it appeared that way.

Cows get loose all the time down here in the Ozark hills. Fences are strung through the trees as kinda a suggestion. cattle often takea walkabout & You have no way of knowing how far those critters were from home

Further, getting out in your street clothes, armed with nothing but a college education, can be dangerous.

Short story if I may,
Federal agent comes onto a farmer's place and demands to go to his pasture and check for some violation. Farmers says "I wouldn't reccomend it "

Agent says "Sir, I am a federal officer with a badge. I'll go where I damm please."

"OK," says the farmer

About a minute later the agent is running for his life back towards the farmer, a mad bull on his behind.
"Make him stop." said the Agent

The farmer smiled a moment, "Show him your badge."

Unless you can handle cows, I wouldn't depend on them soft gentile eyes for comfort. And putting one man's cattle in another one's pasture can create,,,,, complications.