• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting hay wagons

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I purchased two hay wagons this spring for bringing hay in from the field, however I don't have the space to store the wagons inside. The wood on them is still in really good condition, and to help keep it that way, I'd like to paint them to protect them from rain, sun, etc. My main concern though is making the deck too slippery and thus dangerous. Can I just add some silica sand to the paint before applying it? Do I paint it, then sprinkle sand on top (seems unlikely, old wood, painting in the summer, it will absorb/dry quick). Oil? Latex? Oil primer with latex top?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't speak to painting wood with a paint/sand mixture, but in our shipping/receiving area we have a door that the delivery drivers walk through. I painted it with a standard concrete floor paint, spread some sand on it and when it was dry, painted a second coat over the sand. Then spread a little more sand on top.

I'm sure you could mix it into your paint too but I think it would settle.

On the other hand, if it was me, I would probably use a good quality deck stain. Something with a heavy pigment coloring in it because I've read that stains with pigment do a better job of protecting the wood. I'd use deck stain because it is designed for similar condidtions. High wear, foot traffic, exposure to standing water. Wall paint/wall stain is not designed for that. JMO

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What is usually used is ground walnut shells, rather than sand. I suggest that you find a place that sells boat paint and use what they suggest for grit. I like water based paints for outside use, because if water gets under it, it doesn't peal. Just a personal preferance........ Junk.....
mo info

and mo heah...