• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The RedNeck Cooler

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I picked up a nice old Coleman cooler at a tag sale for 5 bucks. Nice shape, but typical cheap Coleman, all the ice will melt in a day, or less.

Well, no way I will buy a Yeti. $400 bucks!!!!! I don't think so Tim. Besides, they are a bunch of WokeTurds anyway so no way they get my money.

Enter the RedNeck Cooler. Named by my wife. I guess it fits.

First thing I drilled the cover and sprayed in a can of low expanding foam. I drilled about 12 holes. The cover is hollow!!! No insulation. No wonder these Coleman coolers suck. Hollow no more. Next 2" of scrap foam board on the top of the cover and 1 inch of foam board on the inside of the cover for a total of 4 1/2" of insulation on the cover.

1 inch of foam board around the outside and bottom for a total of 2" of insulation all around the sides and bottom. Then it all got wrapped in bubble wrap duct insulation.

I'm willing to bet this thing gives a $400 Yeti a good run for its money at 5% of its cost.

Total Cost:

Used Cooler: $5.00
1/2 Roll Aluminum Tape: $7.00
Can Spray Foam: $8.00
Foam Board Scrap Pieces: $0.00
Bubble Wrap Duct Insulation Scrap Pieces: $0.00

Total Cost $20.00 and 2 hours Labor.

cooler1.jpg

cooler2.jpg

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a nice old Coleman cooler at a tag sale for 5 bucks. Nice shape, but typical cheap Coleman, all the ice will melt in a day, or less.

Well, no way I will buy a Yeti. $400 bucks!!!!! I don't think so Tim. Besides, they are a bunch of WokeTurds anyway so no way they get my money.

Enter the RedNeck Cooler. Named by my wife. I guess it fits.

First thing I drilled the cover and sprayed in a can of low expanding foam. I drilled about 12 holes. The cover is hollow!!! No insulation. No wonder these Coleman coolers suck. Hollow no more. Next 2" of scrap foam board on the top of the cover and 1 inch of foam board on the inside of the cover for a total of 4 1/2" of insulation on the cover.

1 inch of foam board around the outside and bottom for a total of 2" of insulation all around the sides and bottom. Then it all got wrapped in bubble wrap duct insulation.

I'm willing to bet this thing gives a $400 Yeti a good run for its money at 5% of its cost.

Total Cost:

Used Cooler: $5.00
1/2 Roll Aluminum Tape: $7.00
Can Spray Foam: $8.00
Foam Board Scrap Pieces: $0.00
Bubble Wrap Duct Insulation Scrap Pieces: $0.00

Total Cost $20.00 and 2 hours Labor.

View attachment 115902

View attachment 115903

TR, please post back to let us know how this is working. It looks as if it should hold ice for several days.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Another use for old coolers . . .

Attachments

• 54664B6D-E637-46BF-A225-FF86F771B2B1.jpeg
    54664B6D-E637-46BF-A225-FF86F771B2B1.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 35

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I always foam the lids but hadn't cared enough to do anything about the sides. :thumb:

I have an older sailboat with a built in "icebox". It worked so well that we kept tools in it and used a cooler until I could build a new galley with real, actual insulation around the icebox.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
TR, please post back to let us know how this is working. It looks as if it should hold ice for several days.

Will do. I plan on testing this week. It will be a brutal test as I plan on leaving it in a spot that is shaded until noon and then direct sunshine till sundown. The reflective tape and duct insulation should make a huge difference. Time will tell.

Another use for old coolers . . .

:th_lmao:

I always foam the lids but hadn't cared enough to do anything about the sides. :thumb:

I have an older sailboat with a built in "icebox". It worked so well that we kept tools in it and used a cooler until I could build a new galley with real, actual insulation around the icebox.

Yeah, I planned to just do the lid and then got carried away. LOL.

One issue is with the added foam on the top and bottom it no longer fits inside my bed of my truck with the tonneau cover down. Not happy about that at all. I may be doing a slight redesign. I would think reducing the outside lid foam from 2" to 1" should not effect performance much.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
We have one of the large "Omaha steaks" foam ice chests and it works great. Thick foam all around just have to treat it like any made of foam.
Mike

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
And speaking of tonneau covers...boy, does it get hot in there !!

I have a soft tri-fold and just leave the back unlatched. If it's going to be in the sun in my driveway, I put a chunk of 4x4 under it.

That would be the place to do a test !

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
And speaking of tonneau covers...boy, does it get hot in there !!

I have a soft tri-fold and just leave the back unlatched. If it's going to be in the sun in my driveway, I put a chunk of 4x4 under it.

That would be the place to do a test !

Well, I need to lose at least 1 1/2" for it to fit under the tonneau. That means lose the 2" on top or lose 1" on the top and bottom.

If it fit, that is where I would do the test. It must be 150 in there under that black tonneau on a hot day.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
15 pounds of ice lasted 3 full days. Rest of the day the water stayed cold enough to keep my bottled water cold while working outside.

Bannedjoe

15 pounds of ice lasted 3 full days. Rest of the day the water stayed cold enough to keep my bottled water cold while working outside.

Mother is the necessity of invention!

Can't ask for much more than 3 days.

I have a Yeti 36 oz bottle.
I can fill it with ice and water, throw it in the backseat, and there'll still be ice 3 days later.