• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac??? stamp from Antarctica/Monoco

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just bought this on Ebay. Not really sure what I have here but I figured I'd examine it when it arrives.

The stamp is from Monoco and features an Antarctic scene with what appears to be is a 2 track snowcat on the left side. The image is very small and, being a stamp is hard to tell what it is. Could it be a Snow Trac? The general shape is reasonably correct. The dual track configuration is reasonably correct. The stamp was issued in 1982, which reasonably correct time for a Snow Trac, as it is very likely that Snow Tracs were used in Antarctica into the 1970's.

There is probably no way to confirm what it really is. So I am going to say it is a Snow Trac and you guys can try to prove me wrong :hide:

The first image below is the stamp, the second image is an enlarged section that shows the area where 2 snowcats appear to be. One is very small and in the background, the other is closer but both are blurry. Both are circled in red ink to show them.

Attachments

• MNC1358.jpg
    MNC1358.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 130
  • 1-MNC1358.jpg
    1-MNC1358.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 132

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I now have the stamp and took a photo of it (my scanner won't scan things this small).

I have no clue what type of snowcat this is. The image is simply not very good and there is certainly some artistic interpretation being made by the artist who drew the stamp. What I do know is that there were not a lot of 2 track snowcats in Antarctica at the time that this stamp would have been made up. The stamp is dated 1982, so it is very likely that the engraving for the original artwork would date to 1981 or perhaps earlier. Further it is possible that the artist may have been working from photographs so that even muddies source.

I certainly won't argue that this is a Snow Trac. It might be, it might not be. It is not a Tucker, which based on my research, is the most used vehicle in the Antarctic. The form factor looks a lot like a Studebaker Weasel to me, but I'm not sure that any of them ended up in the Antarctic.

Attachments

• 1snowcat-stamp.jpg
    1snowcat-stamp.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 119