• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Swimming Pools!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Are sure a lot of work. My neighbor is away for two weeks, so I've been asked to watch the property and keep an eye on things. Of course, the pool, a beautiful in ground beauty filled with nice wet water and an awesome diving board. :yum: Of course if I am going to go in for a dip, I will keep it clean. Goes with the territory.

My friggin word! I could just stay there and keep the pine needles cleaned out every time we get a thundershower, or clean the algae or whatever. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it, it is just I do not ever see myself getting one of these things. Dayum! :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep our pool clean for my wife.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a pool ever since I've been in the States, over 30 years, and I've lost count of the number of times that I've threatened to fill it in. They are just 'way too much hassle. Like Bob, I keep it for my wife. I did break down a few years ago and get a pool service to look after it. I like it more now that I don't have to do all the work. :yum:

thepooguy

you guy are making me feel guilty! but I sure have kept a lot of kids skinny and tired. the uninterrupted by electronics family time is tough to beat as well......they just don't stay kids long enough.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Had a pool growing up and I was tasked with taking care of it in my teen years. Will never have a pool again - at least not in the PNW where you can only really use it 3-4 months of the year.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Had a pool growing up and I was tasked with taking care of it in my teen years. Will never have a pool again - at least not in the PNW where you can only really use it 3-4 months of the year.
We had a pool when I was a kid. Every kind from a blow up play toy to a 18' round above ground.

In Chicago, we had a 18' Round sunk half into the ground. CO---OOOOld!!! Only three of four months of the year was it warm. I plumbed the pump to an AC coil in the furnace and cooled the house. And, heated the pool.

Extended the season at least a month on either side. Didn't need AC.

Pump ran all the time. Once a day I would empty the leaf trap. Some chlorine and I was done with maintenance. Maybe a vacuum if we didn't use the poop and stir up the bottom. I'm told the system ran for 10 years after I sold the house.

Prolly wouldn't work with a BIG pool but I found it virtually maintenance free. If I had the room I'd do it in my present home. No chance with a corner lot. But we have a subdivision pool I don't have to work on to enjoy. Can't go skinny dippin', But otherwise acceptable.
:clap::clap::clap:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ours was a fairly big in ground pool. My dad liked it spotless. I had to scrub the tiles around the edge with ajax and a scrub brush. It was nice to have in the summer but I'm not sure it's worth the effort - at least now that I'm old and grumpy. ;)

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The thunderstorms have subsided, so the pool has been easier to maintain. However, it's been cold for this time of year so no swimming for me.

Today I fished a few dead mice and frogs out of the pool, started the pump for a 12 hour cycle and that was that. Oh, picked about a quart of blueberries from his bushes he told me to take so they would not go to waste. I've already eaten most of them. Can't get much fresher then that. :biggrin:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The thunderstorms have subsided, so the pool has been easier to maintain. However, it's been cold for this time of year so no swimming for me.

Today I fished a few dead mice and frogs out of the pool, started the pump for a 12 hour cycle and that was that. Oh, picked about a quart of blueberries from his bushes he told me to take so they would not go to waste. I've already eaten most of them. Can't get much fresher then that. :biggrin:
Blueberries from New England are the best. My mouth waters just reading the post.
Lucky you!:biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

That is something I don't understand.

But there seems to be a connection between storms and critters floating in the pool.

After a storm I tend to fish out frogs, if I get out there early enough I scoop out live frogs and release them over the fence into the woods so they can hop down to the creek. I'll get an occasional mouse, maybe 1 or 2 a year. Not often. But there have been mornings after storms when I've scooped out 6 or 7 small frogs.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Blueberries from New England are the best. My mouth waters just reading the post.
Lucky you!:biggrin:

Yeah, he has about a dozen plants and they are loaded with berries. Unreal. Bumper crop this year. Must be all the rain we've had. We are freezing some for him as I cannot take all of his crop, as tempting as that thought is. :whistling: Problem is I cannot stop eating them while I am picking so not all make it into the bucket.

That is something I don't understand.

But there seems to be a connection between storms and critters floating in the pool.

After a storm I tend to fish out frogs, if I get out there early enough I scoop out live frogs and release them over the fence into the woods so they can hop down to the creek. I'll get an occasional mouse, maybe 1 or 2 a year. Not often. But there have been mornings after storms when I've scooped out 6 or 7 small frogs.

Yup, more frogs after a rainstorm. I noticed that too. Mostly though when we get a t-storm the wind associated with the storm blows in lots of pine needles and some leaves. There is also a creek down below his house as well. That thing was roaring the other night after we got about a inch and a half of rain from a storm. The frogs must have headed to higher ground. LOL.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
We used to get muskrats in our pool, I guess they came up from the river/slough behind it.