• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

News Channel Ratings

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This came from an article about Greta Susteren being out at MSNBC.

Susteren spent over a decade at CNN before joining Fox News in 2002. She spent 14 years as one of Fox News' most prominent faces before leaving in September 2016 in the midst of a sexual harassment scandal that led to the ouster of founder and chief executive Roger Ailes, who died in May. Susteren initially defended Ailes in the face of multiple allegations of harassment, which Ailes denied. She later said she regretted coming to Ailes' defense.

Susteren was off the air for four months before launching a new 6 p.m. show on MSNBC on January 9. The choice of Susteren, a right-of-center anchor, to host a prime-time show on the left-leaning MSNBC was seen as a potentially awkward fit, and Susteren's ratings never materialized.

Ari Melber will replace Susteren in the 6 p.m. time slot, Griffin wrote. Melber is MSNBC's chief legal correspondent and currently host of his own Saturday program. Griffin said Melber will take over the 6 p.m. hour permanently beginning next month.

MSNBC's ratings have been surging under the Trump administration, while Fox News has fallen behind both MSNBC and CNN.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/greta-v...6-months/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=39255998

----------

MSNBC surging? Is anyone else shocked? :eek:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This came from an article about Greta Susteren being out at MSNBC.

Susteren spent over a decade at CNN before joining Fox News in 2002. She spent 14 years as one of Fox News' most prominent faces before leaving in September 2016 in the midst of a sexual harassment scandal that led to the ouster of founder and chief executive Roger Ailes, who died in May. Susteren initially defended Ailes in the face of multiple allegations of harassment, which Ailes denied. She later said she regretted coming to Ailes' defense.

Susteren was off the air for four months before launching a new 6 p.m. show on MSNBC on January 9. The choice of Susteren, a right-of-center anchor, to host a prime-time show on the left-leaning MSNBC was seen as a potentially awkward fit, and Susteren's ratings never materialized.

Ari Melber will replace Susteren in the 6 p.m. time slot, Griffin wrote. Melber is MSNBC's chief legal correspondent and currently host of his own Saturday program. Griffin said Melber will take over the 6 p.m. hour permanently beginning next month.

MSNBC's ratings have been surging under the Trump administration, while Fox News has fallen behind both MSNBC and CNN.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/greta-v...6-months/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=39255998

----------

I believe FOX, under the management of the Founder's two sons, has lost it's image, it's message and now it's audience.
There decision to dump Flagship Bill O'Reilly was a huge mistake.

That said, I don't think the loss of Megyn Kelly or Greta Sustern hurt as neither brought their audiences to the new shows.

I believe it has nothing to do with TRUMP with the possible exception of their 51% negative coverage of him this year. Another swing from the new managers. That has disappointed and even angered their core audience.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe FOX, under the management of the Founder's two sons, has lost it's image, it's message and now it's audience.
There decision to dump Flagship Bill O'Reilly was a huge mistake.

That said, I don't think the loss of Megyn Kelly or Greta Sustern hurt as neither brought their audiences to the new shows.

I believe it has nothing to do with TRUMP with the possible exception of their 51% negative coverage of him this year. Another swing from the new managers. That has disappointed and even angered their core audience.
I think you are right on with all that Fanc. :thumb: Plus, the party out of power News Channels normally does gain ratings due to all the bitching about those in power. With Trump that bitching has gone up 125% or more.
Still it shocked me that MSNBC was actually ahead of Fox.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
...Still it shocked me that MSNBC was actually ahead of Fox.

"Looking at the primetime numbers for the month, Fox News was number one with an average of 2.24 million viewers, as well as taking first place in the key adults 25-54 demographic with 453,000 viewers.
MSNBC was second in primetime with 1.69 million total viewers and 417,000 in the demo.
CNN came in third with 1.12 million total viewers and 399,000 in the demo."
More fake news from CBS?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I watch Tucker Carlson with pleasure.
Hannity is boring
The Five would do well to dump Juan William's whiny interruptions and over board sarcasms. Despite the two intelligent women, Kimberly and Dana, holding some intelligent conversations with great ideas, I quit watching it over the Water's&Williams conflations.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My TV watching for the evening (day) usually starts about 7:30 pm so I miss some of Tucker Carlson. If it looks as if I've missed something interesting, I'll watch the rerun of his show at 10:00 pm. I may or may not watch "The 5". If they're cross talking, interrupting or shouting each other down, I'm off to find an old movie to watch or something more entertaining. I may switch back for Hannity's monologue but if it's a good movie, probably not. After 10:00 pm, I'm usually across in the office checking my BP and glucose reading before checking in here.

You can see that I don't watch a lot of TV in the first place and I do get most of my news from Fox but it's BORING to listen to the same 3 stories of the day being rehashed for hours on end. No thanks.

By the way, I kinda liked Greta but my wife found her voice grating. Megan Kelly was just "eye candy". I thought that Bill O'Reilly was a pompous prat. Is there anyone else that I can slander or libel while I am on a roll. :)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My TV watching for the evening (day) usually starts about 7:30 pm so I miss some of Tucker Carlson. If it looks as if I've missed something interesting, I'll watch the rerun of his show at 10:00 pm. I may or may not watch "The 5". If they're cross talking, interrupting or shouting each other down, I'm off to find an old movie to watch or something more entertaining. I may switch back for Hannity's monologue but if it's a good movie, probably not. After 10:00 pm, I'm usually across in the office checking my BP and glucose reading before checking in here.

You can see that I don't watch a lot of TV in the first place and I do get most of my news from Fox but it's BORING to listen to the same 3 stories of the day being rehashed for hours on end. No thanks.

By the way, I kinda liked Greta but my wife found her voice grating. Megan Kelly was just "eye candy". I thought that Bill O'Reilly was a pompous prat. Is there anyone else that I can slander or libel while I am on a roll. :)

I agree with all of it. I too found Greta grating, Kelly no more than eye candy (although she could be better at times) and O'Reilly a pompous prat. My point was that they did fill they did fill the ranks of the viewership.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
He's not that bad for being a journalist.

:shifty::tongue:

:brows:

He is a cool headed and well informed debater, who is seldom outmatched.

I like it when he scolds his guest with ",,,, I've asked you the same question three times and you have yet to answer my question,,,,,

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I also like Tucker for his debating skills and keeping his guests on the topic when they try to dance around the question. If they keep dancing he'll usually blow them off and go to commercial a little early. He sure can line up some hard core libs!! I like to watch the last 1/2 of Special Report because the 3 or 4 person panel is usually level headed whether dem or repub even though they are usually representing a news organization.
Mike

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

I like it when he scolds his guest with ",,,, I've asked you the same question three times and you have yet to answer my question,,,,,

Recently I have watched him get into the debating and remain cool while smoking the guest(s).
He's good at it.

As for Greta, we all lived through the Simpson trial all those years ago- CNN was the channel to go to back then.
I loved her commentary and involvement.
CNBC had good coverage too, but that channel was very different at that time, with John Gibson being onboard.

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I even heard him say "freekin'" last night on live television when he was debating an objector to "Kate's Law". :flowers::flowers::flowers:

rugerman

I wish that we could get back to news instead of opinion that is driven by the corporate agenda. The main stream media all have a agenda and their news so called reporting is slanted by that agenda. With the possible exception of Fox that slant is toward the liberal/democrat area. I believe that is why the media is now held in such low esteem.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I get nearly 100% of my news on-line, starting my day with the email from Legal Insurrection and then the LI site proper. There are some other sites as well, but News Channels? Pfffft! Move along, nothing to see there. :hammer:

If there is something in the way of breaking news that I just have to see (rarely) Fox News is the only place I go. It's getting difficult to get even unbiased local news anymore as the stations are all affiliated with the alphabets and tend to reflect their slants.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like Voice Of America for online news best, tho I do switch between CNN or Fox when something is breaking, but sit down to watch my local evening news.

The Voice of America began broadcasting in 1942 to combat Nazi propaganda with accurate and unbiased news and information. Ever since then, VOA has served the world with a consistent message of truth, hope and inspiration.

https://www.voanews.com/

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

----------

I think MSNBC is surging since CNN is taking a pounding.

As for The statement of Fox News has fallen behind both MSNBC and CNN, I'm not seeing (or believing) it. If you add MSNBC and CNN's viewers together, combined, they're about equal to Fox.

Here's the top 10 networks. (per http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cable-network-ranker-week-of-june-19/333681)

Basic Cable Top 10 – Prime time (Total Viewers)
Fox News (2,419,000)
ESPN (1,608,000)
MSNBC (1,539,000)
HGTV (1,473,000)
USA (1,435,000)
TBS (1,409,000)
A&E (1,021,000)
Discovery (989,000)
CNN (961,000)
History (940,000)

Basic Cable Top 10 – Total Day (Total Viewers)

FNC (1,429,000)
Nickelodeon (1,196,000)
HGTV (842,000)
MSNBC (820,000)
Adult Swim (795,000)
Cartoon Network (760,000)
USA (712,000)
Investigation Discovery (699,000)
Nick-at-Nite (673,000)
CNN (668,000)

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd shed no tears if CNN and NYtimes went belly up. It mike make the rest go back to true journalism instead of pushing a political agenda.
Mike

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd shed no tears if CNN and NYtimes went belly up. It mike make the rest go back to true journalism instead of pushing a political agenda.
Mike
Probably not. The older guys that are left have an agenda and they're the ones training all the newbies; a self perpetuating circle. If two or three genuinely fearless mavericks could take control of at least one major outlet it might change things but I don't see anyone standing around the news arenas that fit that description. :sad: