• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Baby Shower Invitation

ClairJustClair

Yesterday I received an invitation to a baby shower. The baby shower is for my boyfriends niece who was recently married (for reference my boyfriend was not invited to the wedding).

Facts:
1. The mother to be is 34, her and her husband are both in the medical profession and doing quite well financially.
2. This is baby #2 for the mother to be.
3. I have seen mother to be 4 times at informal gatherings.
4. I have never had a conversation with the mother to be besides "hello how are you" small talk.
5. It cannot be an invitation so I would not feel left out, If I were not told of the shower I would never find out.

I would appreciate the opinions of total strangers how they would handle going or not going to the baby shower, and how to handle "the gift".

I am feeling quite cynical, thinking I was only invited because the family knows I can comfortably afford a nice gift. But I cannot help think this invitation was purely a "Gift Grab" situation. Am I wrong to think this way?

Please offer up honest opinions of the situation. What would you think? What would you do?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
In my opinion, the whole baby shower concept is a gift grab. Always has been, always will be. Maybe that makes your decision a bit easier?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure sounds like a gift grab. For younger just starting out mothers a baby shower can be very helpful, that does not seem to be the case for the one you were invited to. With the BF not even invited to the wedding I would not feel bad ignoring the invitation totally. No gift.

Ironman

Pretty obvious to me. I'd say f*ck it, and not lose any sleep over it either.

But then again I'm a man... and don't really give 2 shits about that kinda stuff.