• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1402 Vermont

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
they are larger than a trackster they are light and simple the cons are no free heat except stinky engine heat and are also a little under powered I would guess the open top model to have better performance.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you can always spend $3500 more and get that snow trac that has been on craigs

akimp

I was looking into this rig and was wondering about the front tire missing my self. It seems it would porpoise a lot. My father is driving to AK this summer and is bringing articulating toyota and was going to have him bring this up as well. Any option on the front tires missing would be helpful.

sledhead Ed

GOLD Site Supporter
I had emailed the owner back in march and he said he's been running the machine for almost 20 years. I asked him if he had a cab for it but he doesn't.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree too small but cool

If I may...

In reality (although I could be wrong as well) - this is not a 1402, but actually a 1400 model... being that its missing the idler in the front.

Overall - its a pretty good machine, 2 person plus gear. will get you where you need to in most any condition I would think (dress appropriately).

if you wanted to lengthen the track and add the idler in the front - its doable, just will need some extra couple dozen grousers, and if the belting is still in great shape thats on there, you could just double-over on few of the connecting grousers and just extend it as much as you need it, without having to redo the whole track.

p.s. being that i've owned Trackster & 1402 - this IMP is far more heavy duty than Trackster could ever be.

akimp

Thanks for the insight Nikson. I was looking at pics of 1402's and did not look at the 1400 series for comparison. I might just buy it for hunting on my brothers farm in New York.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
a good hunting rig it might make I have seen some pics of early wisconson powered imps with that same track configuration. a fire fighting pic comes to mind as a hunting buggy leaving the top off and keeping the rig simple and light does have it's plusses as it should be easy to repair in the field or recover if you get it stuck. like the trickster I would use caution when descending hills, but it would be small agile and easy to move

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like 1402 on the data plate.

I agree after a zoomed in look it says 1402 on the name plate.

Thanks for the insight Nikson. I was looking at pics of 1402's and did not look at the 1400 series for comparison. I might just buy it for hunting on my brothers farm in New York.

It very much could be the 1402, and being as old as it is... no one really could tell if the front idlers have been simply removed and track shortened for whatever purpose, or it was this way as one of the first 1402's.

Overall - seems like my 1402, just missing the front windshield...

DSC00445.JPG

akimp

Ok I found a Imp that was tested for military purposes that did not have the front idler wheel from the factory.

Attachments

• 10-Thiokol-1401-Imp-1963.jpg
    10-Thiokol-1401-Imp-1963.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 804

Backroadsvt

Hello,
So I'm the new owner of this 1402. I picked it up the other day for $2250. It seems it run great. Tracks need a little love on the grouser and a few new tires. Other than normal fluid changes and lube it seems to be in ready to ride shape. Also the owner had the original owners manuals for the IMP and a separate manual for the Wisconsin motor, along with original brochures from 1964. Really cool pics!
I look forward to some snow! I live in Cabot VT, so if anybody is in the area please feel free to stop by.
Cheers
Cyrus

akimp

Congratulations Backroadsvt :) I was trying to convince my father to drag this machine up to Alaska but the trailer was to heavy for the motorhome as it was. Looks like a clean fun rig and will do great in VT. I grew up in Schuylerville Ny 30 min drive from Vermont and love the area.

groomer08

thank you backroadsvt for buying it so i didnt have to!!
I had it lined up last spring to buy it then got crazy busy with other projects.
saw it back up there a month ago and started hawing about it again.
Now that its sold i can fully devote myself to revitilizing the J5.
good thing too, as ive decided to swap it over to a kubota diesel!!
enjoy!!