• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Proud owner of a Bombardier SW48

S Young

Just started working on a SW48 my Father in Law gave me. I am guessing early 80"s with the Ford 300 six with a very tired automatic tranny. He used it in Northern Quebec to skid wood out of the bush. I started off just pulling the tranny to freshen it up but just couldn't help myself. I know have it stripped down and am in the process of welding all the unneeded drilled holes in the frame. grinding and patching the frame. I have not removed the tracks or axils yet. I have to be able to move it around. I also have the cab off for cleanup and paint. I think I have everything covered but is there anything else I should be looking at while I am this far. I will be changing the differential fluid. Thanks in advance.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations !
Sounds like you are doing the right things. Check the brake bands while it's apart.

They will roll pretty easy on just the wheels if you need to take the tracks off. I would be checking all the wheel bearings and for play/leaking at the sprockets.

Have fun :smile:

S Young

I have to do the bearings but that will wait till I get the motor and cab back in. My employees will shoot me if I take up any more of the shop floor.