• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Imp 1402

PrecisionMarine

It was suggested (thanks pixie!) I start my own thread.. so here goes..
In 1989 I found my Imp in a scrapyard, hours away from being crushed. $200 bought it and a spare OC4 rear from the Spryte they'd started to cut up
Stripped off what was left of the original paint- easy in places, other areas seemed to cling better than an old girlfriend named Kristi [I may as well get off on the right foot here] :brows:

My Imp seems to have been designed to be amphibious- originally had no doors, complete sealed underbody (with rubber 'skirt' seals to allow the OC4 rear to pivot.)
I added doors, then off to paint in a friend's body shop. He had some 'left-over' aluminum primer.. I shulda knowed not to use. It quickly turned out to be as flakey as... sorry, I shouldn't beat up on a tired old snowca... ahhh girlfriend.
Rebuilt the Wisconsin 4-banger (retrospect tells me that was a bad move), along with new rubber for the idlers and rebuilds on the hyd. brakes (last of the kits in NAPA's national inventory at that time) to get it going.. used it a few hours around here, and then it sat.. too many years of very little snow (and a very ugly divorce along the way.) This year's blizzard rekindled my interest, so the lil' Imp will be getting a new coat of yellow paint after I finish the track rubber (doing that big job right now.)
I don't want to modify the original enclosed cab too much, but may add a quick-detach hardtop over the pickup-style bed.. and a new engine/auto trans.. and… and… (maybe I should ask nuttster if it’d be easier to build one from the ground up?)

Attachments

• 1 Before- rear.jpg
    1 Before- rear.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 2 before- side.jpg
    2 before- side.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 3 before- bottom.jpg
    3 before- bottom.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 4 before- bottom.jpg
    4 before- bottom.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 5 before- progress.jpg
    5 before- progress.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,272
  • 6 before- doors added.jpg
    6 before- doors added.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 7 before- off to paint.jpg
    7 before- off to paint.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 8 before- engine & transaxle.jpg
    8 before- engine & transaxle.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 9 Snowcat now.jpg
    9 Snowcat now.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,281

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It's great to see your old pictures !!!

You got a deal on the parts but you've really put a ot of labor in :wow:

So, the Wisconsin isn't performing as you expected ? What size is it ?

1402s seem kind of rare and I haven't seen many that started out as amphibious.... cool !!

Lia

Banned
You did indeed put in a lot of work on the Imp. She's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, it was good to see. :smile:

PrecisionMarine

It's great to see your old pictures !!!

You got a deal on the parts but you've really put a ot of labor in :wow:

So, the Wisconsin isn't performing as you expected ? What size is it ?

1402s seem kind of rare and I haven't seen many that started out as amphibious.... cool !!

Thanks Pixie, it was a bit of work, but well worth it :)
The Wisconsin air-cooled 4 cyl is rated at a whopping 30 hp.. very torquey, but still underpowered. Not a huge issue in the low elevations here in MI, but I plan to take it out west someday soon. It also has a hand operated clutch that makes juggling the steering controls fun at times.
So I'm looking into an automotive inline 4 with turbo and auto trans.. not a lot of room to work with, but I see others have managed it.

Or... find a Spryte to restore.. or build one from the ground up. :unsure:

PrecisionMarine

You did indeed put in a lot of work on the Imp. She's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, it was good to see. :smile:

Lia, thank you! I think she's gorgeous in a diamond-in-the-rough kinda way, but it's gratifying to know my (somewhat narrow) vision is shared.
Do you have some experience with the Imps?

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice work ! I have a 64 1402 IMP just put seats in the back to haul in and out guests to the cabin on the Iron Goat Trail here in Washington State

Lia

Banned
Lia, thank you! I think she's gorgeous in a diamond-in-the-rough kinda way, but it's gratifying to know my (somewhat narrow) vision is shared.
Do you have some experience with the Imps?

None whatsoever PM; I'm just an Artist, and see beauty where others perhaps may not think to look. I've also got this weird fascination for all forms of machinery and craft, air, sea and land, domestic or military, lol.

I can appreciate the work that you've put into renovating the Imp, and personally, I think she's cute. A really good job; and it was extremely interesting seeing it go thro the stages of renovation. Looking forward to seeing how you go about restoring or building from ground up, a Spryte. :smile:

PrecisionMarine

Nice work ! I have a 64 1402 IMP just put seats in the back to haul in and out guests to the cabin on the Iron Goat Trail here in Washington State

Irongoat: Thank you! My Imp isn't very practical here in lower MI, but I'm seriously infatuated with it. :snow_smi:
We'd all love to see some photos of your 1402.. in fact, I think there's a requirement that new members post some! :D

PrecisionMarine

None whatsoever PM; I'm just an Artist, and see beauty where others perhaps may not think to look. I've also got this weird fascination for all forms of machinery and craft, air, sea and land, domestic or military, lol.

I can appreciate the work that you've put into renovating the Imp, and personally, I think she's cute. A really good job; and it was extremely interesting seeing it go thro the stages of renovation. Looking forward to seeing how you go about restoring or building from ground up, a Spryte. :smile:

Lia, I believe you've found a perfect audience for your "weird fascination"; it seems we're all similarly afflicted..
And if ever you venture out of 'the garden', I'm sure you could find a willing member to take you on a backcountry adventure. Heck, if your travels find you in MI (in winter), I'd even let you drive!

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."

:thewave:

PrecisionMarine

Irongoat, we'd all like to see your 1402.
Hit the 'reply' button, then scroll down a little... 'manage attachments' button will let you upload a file. Let me know if that doesn't work for you..

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
This is my starter Thiokol ~ Gotta start some where ~

Attachments

• iron goat 012.jpg
    iron goat 012.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 809
  • stevens pass 2-25-2011 023.jpg
    stevens pass 2-25-2011 023.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 797
  • 2-7-2011 007.jpg
    2-7-2011 007.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 803

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought it in Dayton Washington . First purchas was new tires for the trailer ~ It was a long a** drive home to Camano Island Wa . I installed the steats in the rear ~ Boat seats $79. each . Then because I like to see I installed lights inside LED over head and rear lights for backing up . The strobe on the roof was a must because I cross a highway sometimes .

Im going to replace the two mud puddles at my feet steerring has to be better than it is now . I already bled them I want new ones !
it has the W4 30 HP and putts along at about 10mph in 4th gear down hill lol .
:smile:

Last edited:

PrecisionMarine

I bought it in Dayton Washington . First purchas was new tires for the trailer ~ It was a long a** drive home to Camano Island Wa . I installed the steats in the rear ~ Boat seats $79. each . Then because I like to see I installed lights inside LED over head and rear lights for backing up . The strobe on the roof was a must because I cross a highway sometimes .

Im going to replace the two mud puddles at my feet steerring has to be better than it is now . I already bled them I want new ones !
it has the W4 30 HP and putts along at about 10mph in 4th gear down hill lol .
:smile:

Good lookin' 1402!
If you get tired of the Wisconsin 4-banger, look at what member Nuttster did with his 1402 - http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=41166
and there's at least one othe 1402 Imp on here - http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=22974

The master cylinders are very hard to come by.. they fit an early 60's Ford Econoline van. Even the kits to rebuild are scarce, tho not impossible to find.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Found two master cylinders with ease at Car Quest # E151224 Wagner MFG exact match well under $200. Life is good . Only need 1 but figure do them both and keep the old good one for a spare .

PrecisionMarine

Found two master cylinders with ease at Car Quest # E151224 Wagner MFG exact match well under $200. Life is good . Only need 1 but figure do them both and keep the old good one for a spare .

That's great news! :clap:
I know others have had trouble finding them. Maybe Wagner made another production run due to demand.
How are your slave cylinders? More on those in this thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=11032