• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker steering pump (Vickers)

Eric L

Site Supporter
Is this thing missing parts? Seems like there should be a baffle in there or maybe even a filter.

I've been having probs with it aerating the fluid.. didn't do it much when I first got it, but she hasn't seen much use either.

should the reservoir be vented or sealed?.. I would assume the fluid needs room to expand with heat and the level would change as the steering cylinder moves... but it leaks bad enough as it is (mostly from the aeration)

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• CIMG1061.JPG
    CIMG1061.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 365

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you should have a top and a cap either the cap wipp have a vent hole in the top or a popet valve in the cover also i 'm not real familiar with the tucker but to blead most hydraulic systems you need to run lock to lock to blead cylinders also on the hummwv's especialy armord models we had to jack the wheels to cycle the hydraulic systems to get the air out because there was too much load on things and the pumps would cavitate and never blead you may have to do that with your tucker or you may have a bad pump.

Eric L

Site Supporter
OK.. I took the cap off to show what was (not) inside..:whistling:

I have not ruled out a pump failing, but with the engine running the fluid is like a gusher coming out of the return hose and hitting the cap (and theoretically making bubbles?)... at higher RPMs i'd bet it would shoot higher than the cab. I'm planning a baffle of some sort to test.

I disassembled a reservoir from a heavy-duty truck and it had all kinds of cool stuff inside.

Attachments

• CIMG1116.JPG
    CIMG1116.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 356

Eric L

Site Supporter
I added a small baffle over the return port and another flat plate about 2" above the bottom of the reservoir. I call it the "percolator".

Sure seems to make a difference, I can run and steer (in the shop) without the cover on the can, even at high RPMs. no signs of aeration at this time.

was tempting to take it out tonite, but wouldn't have proven anything without taking it for a longer drive than I can give it in the neighborhood. Maybe next weekend or the weekend after.

a pic of the "percolator"...

Attachments

• CIMG1118.JPG
    CIMG1118.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 286

Eric L

Site Supporter
Well it seems to work just fine now.

Took it out on Sunday and all was good in the steering department.

now onto new exhaust, some electrical upgrades and track repairs (money permitting).

Attachments

• CIMG1120.JPG
    CIMG1120.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 226