• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp steering master cylinder

IMP

Site Supporter
Does anyone know where I can buy or a good replacement for the steering master cylinders on my IMP 1404? Mine are operable but one leaks and I have to add fluid every couple hours to the reservoir. I already put a rebuild kit in it and honed it out but the pitting was real deep in places. Has anyone been through this situation already?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Does anyone know where I can buy or a good replacement for the steering master cylinders on my IMP 1404? Mine are operable but one leaks and I have to add fluid every couple hours to the reservoir. I already put a rebuild kit in it and honed it out but the pitting was real deep in places. Has anyone been through this situation already?

In the event that you can't locate another cylinder. I have taken the cylinders in the past (Mine not Customers) and cleaned them up well, heated them mildly to clean out the oil and used JB weld on the pits. Let it set and then honed it out and they lasted for years with no issues or leakage on an old shop forklift I had that I couldn't get parts for.

Just a thought, that JB Weld works on just about anything, have even used it on scored Hydraulic rams and cylinders and it worked well til I could get replacements...

Snowcat Pat

If it is Thiokol part #0622015 that cyl is NAPA #36067 (the 601/602 and the Spryte 1200-A also use this cyl). It uses the NAPA# 387 rebuild kit. The OEM master cyl has the casting milled away to clear lever forks, you could grind that area easily.
But there is another master cyl used on the Imp with two fill caps that I know nothing about.
-Pat

IMP

Site Supporter
I just installed the master cylinder Snowcat Pat suggested and it fit just as he described. Thanks for the excellent info. It was $168 at Napa in stock.

Eric SW 48

If it is Thiokol part #0622015 that cyl is NAPA #36067 (the 601/602 and the Spryte 1200-A also use this cyl). It uses the NAPA# 387 rebuild kit. The OEM master cyl has the casting milled away to clear lever forks, you could grind that area easily.
But there is another master cyl used on the Imp with two fill caps that I know nothing about.
-Pat
Thank you Snowcat Pat I just ordered them through Napa do you have an info on Slave cylinders?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
pretty sure he makes them. spryte improvement is his business.

our options are to resleeve our old ones or have something dimesionally the same made. My kid makes cylinders for a living so if you strike out, I can get you in touch with my son and he will make you a set.

Eric SW 48

Thank you when i get to that i will contact him. i have been having a challenge getting parts for my 1404 IMP do you know a source for Grousers and exhaust parts, Also tires. Thanks for your help may be in over my head so any help insights would be appreciated.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The master cylinders are for a mid 61-67 Ford Econoline van. They must be used on a lot of other things because there are lots of them on Ebay. I got mine for about $80 each but that was a while ago. You have to narrow down the sides to get the levers to fit.

Attachments

• DSCF3298.JPG
    DSCF3298.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 74

ViaLisboa

The master cylinders are for a mid 61-67 Ford Econoline van. They must be used on a lot of other things because there are lots of them on Ebay. I got mine for about $80 each but that was a while ago. You have to narrow down the sides to get the levers to fit.
I just got some installed on mine and the levers certainly sit closer to the driver.
Is narrowing down the sides required, or a convenience thing?

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Take a look at your old ones. The upper cast web on the new ones is too wide to allow the tangs on the levers to go fully forward. Thiokol modified them so the levers could get full travel. In the Ford van, the brake pedal was under the cylinder so the web did not interfere. The forward bottom of the lever tube that is welded between the tangs should hit the top of the cylinder with the levers fully forward. Mine looks different because when the cab was added the levers were modified to make it easier to get in and out and to allow the levers to have full travel due to the seats being larger and further forward (Honda CRV seats). The tang section is still original. The stop on the bottom of the tube can be ground (or have a piece welded to it to make the levers even with each other
The picture without the levers shows the cylinders when I was fitting them and before the web was milled. If I remember correctly I think I also had to narrow up the pivot bore area to get the tangs to fit without being too tight but I may be wrong. See the photo in my earlier post.

Make sure you check your slave cylinders for corrosion I had to re-sleeve mine. Or you can have it done by Snowcat Pat. New cups are available. (NAPA United #14451) See how I did it here at post 89 https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/the-continuing-saga-of-niksons-1402-imp-sn-129.63147/page-3

Attachments

• DSCF3296.JPG
    DSCF3296.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3300.JPG
    DSCF3300.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20221111_205204004.jpg
    PXL_20221111_205204004.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50