• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp air filter and intake relocation?

Thebartman

Someone on here (Red Squirrel?) mentioned relocating an Imp air filter and intake outside the cab for a quieter cab. Would mounting it in front of the radiator and behind the grill work, or would that suck snow? Maybe mount it down in the tunnel. I can mount a paper filter on top of the carb too.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ill grab a photo of mine. it is on the drivers side ahead of the mirror.

there is a electrical conduit (EMT) tube and a rubber 90 from the carb to the area behind the tachometer.

rodre

Mine is mounted under the driver's side dash, I think it is factory because the mounting bracket appears to be mounted with original rivets that are covered by the original paint outside the cab above and below the headlamp. It is the oil bath filter.

Thebartman

That’s what I want to move. When you step on the gas hard all you hear in the cab is carb sucking. I think that’s a lot of the cab noise.

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
I got tired of the giant sucking noise as well, so I just removed the hose to the factory air filter and stuck a small K&N filter directly on top of the carb. In theory it is now sucking hot air from w/in the doghouse and that cuts down on the engine's performance, but I've not noticed a problem.

Ron

rodre

That’s what I want to move. When you step on the gas hard all you hear in the cab is carb sucking. I think that’s a lot of the cab noise.

Oh, I see, yours is already mounted under the drivers side dash. I will pay more attention to the sources and types of noise the next time I am out. For me the whole thing had so much noise and vibration we just wore hearing protection, the over the ear head phone type.

Thebartman

So...here's what I'm going to try. An air cooled VW air filter. Fits perfect.
I don't think intake air in the "doghouse" will be any warmer than the air from the heated cab so I'm not concerned.
Seems like it is quieter already. If not the aircraft intercom system is on the way anyhow.
Test drive today. Boondocking in deep fresh snow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 154