• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old guy + Saber Fencing = Injured Shoulder

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doctor says I did not tear through my rotator cuff but it is sure inflamed and in pain. Apparently a small tear is just as painful.

Apparently my rheumatoid arthritis is the main culprit, but I added to the pain by smacking kids with sabres.

Its hell to be old.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Gees Bob sorry to here about the RA I apparently have the same problem. which is what has caused the issues with my hands and arms. now I. getting upper back and neck pain too heehaw here I go again need to get my scripts refilled

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was actually diagnosed with RA when I was 24 years old. Been living with it for a few decades now. I have a rheumatologist who has been able to keep it under control, but I have occasional bad flare ups. Near as he can tell (I was at his office this morning) my pain is some combination of a localized flare up combined with a minor tear/inflammation/injury to the muscles/tendons in my shoulder.

Took a couple vicodin to go to sleep last night.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just did 3 half days or so digging with my backhoe for the farmer whose barn was hit by the tornado. My neck and shoulders as well as arms are all hurting. Sure ain't something I do for any length of time anymore and I can tell. Same here, vicodin for the pain and when it wears off i am awake and hurting in the middle of the night.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

If you have a way to do it I think you will find that if your elevate the head of your bed by say 4-6" you will sleep better. Keeps the body fluids from redistributing to your upper body and shoulders. Found this out in dentists chair. Helps me alot...

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Let me join the club. I've been having back trouble since the end of September. It's started to ease up in the last couple of weeks but I hurt my left shoulder when I started to do some light work about the place.

Getting old isn't for sissies.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Doctor says I did not tear through my rotator cuff but it is sure inflamed and in pain. Apparently a small tear is just as painful.

Apparently my rheumatoid arthritis is the main culprit, but I added to the pain by smacking kids with sabres.

Its hell to be old.

I still have a couple dozen staples through my underarm from my latest shoulder surgery that included a "re-repair" of a completely torn labrum and a "major tear" of my rotator cuff along with a sub-pectoral tenodesis. That last one is a killer! It entails cutting off the bicep tendon and anchoring it into the bone of the upper arm. But, honestly, after having 4 shoulder surgeries, the worst part of this one is currently the damn "zipper" through my armpit. It's bad enough catching the ones on the front and rear incisions on shirts, but every time I put my right arm down the ones under my arm stab me. :hammer:

Of surgeries, the rotator cuff repair is the least uncomfortable to have. The labrum repair is considerably worse and, well, I think having your bicep cut off, a hole drilled into your humerus bone and the tendon screwed into that hole the worse. Unfortunately, 'moderate' arthritis has become an issue at nearly every joint I've had fixed during the 15 surgeries I've endured in the last 10 years or so. So...if you do need a repair of a rotator cuff, no worries. I never even needed a single pain med for the last two of those I had. And, yes, I have now been not told, but warned, that I must start acting my age or I will continue to break things. :sad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well between the sling to help keep it immobilized and the anti-inflammatories I'm hoping to be back to 'normal' in a couple days.

Doctor said no need for surgery, but he didn't rule out some cortizone shots.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another week has passed and I'm in pain. Probably from working around the house too much. Setting up the Christmas tree, stringing lights outside, reaching over my head, generally not resting my arm.

So I'm a self-inflicted idiot for hurting myself and going against doctor's orders . . . sort of like Dargo!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
So I'm a self-inflicted idiot for hurting myself and going against doctor's orders . . . sort of like Dargo!

Hey! Listen you...um...uh, well, I suppose I must resemble that remark. :sad:

My shoulder had mostly stopped hurting unless I moved it and, even then, it wasn't hurting that bad. Yeah, you know an "until" is coming; until I tried to change the 1600 pound 'extreme duty' 4 in 1 bucket from my 100 hp track loader to my 100 hp JD cab tractor and transition my little JD 4410 tractor from a mowing machine back to a TLB for the winter. The quick detach levers on the track loader were absolutely frozen in place since the last time I used the machine was in the lake and I forgot to drop the bucket off and lube the attachment rods with a water displacing agent.

I got one of the levers up using a 3 pound sledge (backhanded) with only my left arm but the other lever wouldn't budge. I realized that being out of shape now made it impossible for me to use a 12 pound sledge with only my left arm. So, I raised the bucket overhead and, against the rules, used my right hand to hold a 1 1/2" X 6" brass rod against the bottom of the quick attach pin and smacked it with a 3 pound sledge using my left hand. That is when not only my surgically reconstructed right arm started hurting, but my back popped and I'm reasonably certain I finished off a ruptured disc I've had for years that had not been bothering me.

I've had to dig out all of the pain meds I didn't use after this last surgery (I only used them for 3 days when I was given enough to follow a 3 week schedule of every 4 hours on them) and I'm hurting big time now. Not only is my back feeling like I'm being tasered but I can literally feel the big set screw in my arm bone where they attached my bicep tendon. I'm reasonably certain I did no damage to my shoulder or re-attached bicep, but I'm not so sure I can continue without giving in to back surgery now. I have a clearly visible lump where I believe I finished off an already damaged disc in my back. Dammit!

As my little niece said, I'm going to be the "ibonic" man soon. As long as I'm not the wheelchair bound or bedridden man, I suppose I can deal with that. Still, with my last surgery, my surgeon used to be a surgeon for the Denver Broncos and he said I've had more surgical repairs to major injuries than most linemen or running backs who have played in the NFL for 15 years. Perhaps it may finally be time to start acting my age. :unsure:

So Bob, if you do need surgery, I pretty well have the complete shoulder (and knee, elbow etc.) anatomy burned into my memory. I can tell you how most surgical procedures on shoulders feel and how long it takes to recover from each. For all but the worst (like having to repair and relocate a bicep tendon) shoulder surgeries, they are done by scope. If, by chance, you have to have a regular open surgery, make absolutely positive you tell them that you do not care about a scar on your shoulder and do NOT have them cut from the front to the back through your armpit and fill it with staples! Of the 15 (only counting repair surgeries, not ones like when my appendix ruptured) surgeries I've had, those staples in my armpit bothered me worse than most anything. Honestly, I sincerely hope you don't need surgery. However, if it's just a rotator cuff repair, that really is a piece of cake as far as surgeries go.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somehow I figured you could post up a story that would make my pain go away.

My rhuematologist says I don't need surgery. I may need cortizone shots, but that to control the arthritis. The rotator cuff, according to him, is inflamed but still attached and not torn through (it may have a partial tear).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up today and my shoulder felt fine.

Emptied the dishwasher and was putting away some glasses in the wall cabinets and my shoulder immediately started to hurt. Put away some dinner plates and my shoulder was nearly screaming in pain. Wiped down the counter tops and I was done. Damn I've done NOTHING since that little bit of helping around the kitchen early this morning and my shoulder is actually hurting worse now as the day progresses.

Anything that causes me to apply pressure with my right arm causes pain. Any reaching causes pain.

Apparently I need to wear the sling they gave me and actually do NOTHING with my right arm? Its been almost 10 days since seeing the doctor. Might have to go back!?! He said the next step would be to get some cortisone shots in my shoulder.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob you are starting to sound as grumpy as Allen. Next thing you know you are going to trade the snow trac in for a Kristi.

Leni

I've had cortisone shots in both shoulders. Worked beautifully. Sounds like you do need to go back to the do.

P. S. What is a Kristi?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up today and my shoulder felt fine.

Emptied the dishwasher and was putting away some glasses in the wall cabinets and my shoulder immediately started to hurt. Put away some dinner plates and my shoulder was nearly screaming in pain. Wiped down the counter tops and I was done. Damn I've done NOTHING since that little bit of helping around the kitchen early this morning and my shoulder is actually hurting worse now as the day progresses.

Anything that causes me to apply pressure with my right arm causes pain. Any reaching causes pain.

Apparently I need to wear the sling they gave me and actually do NOTHING with my right arm? Its been almost 10 days since seeing the doctor. Might have to go back!?! He said the next step would be to get some cortisone shots in my shoulder.

You need one of these

A zipper that leads to your shoulder! (from the underside)
As I mentioned, a cuff or labrum repair can easily be done with a scope without the need for the extremely irritating staples for almost 2 weeks under your arm. I did the cortisone shots for almost a year before I gave in to surgery. That was a mistake. It only allowed me to further damage my shoulder before having it repaired. I can pretty well assure you that just a cuff repair will not cause as much pain as you experience before the surgery at any time after the surgery.

I have had torn cuffs repaired in both shoulders but only a completely torn labrum and torn bicep in my right shoulder. The cuff surgery is only like a half hour surgery and within 3 days you will be virtually pain free. In a couple of months you should be completely healed and back with no restrictions on activities.

Attachments

• IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 102

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up in pain this morning. Not a good way to start the day.

Then the lovely Mrs_Bob wanted me to carry up the Christmas dishes from storage and carry down the fall dishes. Uh, no. Well, not quite no. I made one trip with some dessert dishes. Then I said oh hell no.

So I watched her do it while I drank my morning coffee.

Now I think that, not only am I in pain, but I'm probably in trouble too :unsure: