• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Women's Saber Fencing: My Daughter's 30 seconds of terror!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a short video of my daughter Melen fencing against a nationally ranked USFA fencer from Culver Military Academy by the name of Allison Rudolph. Allison is a very talented fencer and has won tournaments and qualified in the Junior Olympics, she is a high school senior. This event ended a couple hours ago and was held in Winnetka, IL (Chicago). My daughter is on the left in the video wearing a black stock and a yellow sock (her team colors).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIMfniaOMNY"]YouTube - Women's Saber Fencing -- Melen vs Allison[/ame]

Watch the scoring box on the table. The lights on the box indicate who scores. A red light is a touch for Melen, a green light indicates a touch for Allison. If both lights go on then the director must decide who to award the touch to. 5 touches determine the bout.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was that Sister Dorothy standing in the doorway?
I can't really tell, but I doubt it. She wears a white habit and she coaches/fences Foil so she is usually with the Foilists during competitions.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't really tell, but I doubt it. She wears a white habit and she coaches/fences Foil so she is usually with the Foilists during competitions.
Oh, ok.
Something about the shadowy figure on the right looked nunny to me.:biggrin:
pic.jpg

Again, great job Melen.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, ok.
Something about the shadowy figure on the right looked nunny to me.:biggrin:
Well it could have been, I just can't tell. The foil team was fencing in the gym on the other side of that doorway so its possible that is Sr Dorothy.

Again, great job Melen.
Yup I think so. She beat that girl 5 to 0 and that is a pretty big accomplishment for an unrated fencer to do when facing an experienced E rated fencer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well done Melen, congratulations.

Yup, I was really proud of her performance yesterday.

She did injure one girl in an early match, quite by accident. The girl is obviously fairly new to fencing. Fencers typically put their left hand out to the side, or even behind them, to protect their left hand from being hit. They don't wear a glove or any protective covering on their left hand. But their left arm is considered valid target. Well the girl put her left arm out front and Melen saw the opening and took the touch, but in doing so her blade smacked down hard on that girl's exposed fingers. I saw that girl several hours later, still fencing, but she kept ice on her hand the whole day and a trainer or medic had wrapped up her fingers. It really is a very rare accident and Melen felt bad about it, she is concerned she broke at least one of her fingers.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I still say it was a Sister. Maybe not the sister, but nonetheless and nun.
One doesn't forget that figure if you've gone to Catholic school lol

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Not bad at all! Congrats to the both of you!

So when it she going to be going after the National title?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not bad at all! Congrats to the both of you!

So when it she going to be going after the National title?

Well I don't think she will ever be that good. She is good for her age but she's got lots of competition that is better than her that she's got to fight through. As she grows in age, maturity and strength we'll see how far she can get? New York University has contacted her via letter to come and fence for them after she graduates from high school. No scholarship offer (yet) just an invitation to apply with the implication that she's make their team if accepted to the school. I believe she can be a very credible and competitive collegiate fencer if she decides to pursue the sport through college.

Here is a link to a YouTube page that I created for one of my cigar shops, I've uploaded some of her fencing videos. All of these were filmed yesterday at the competition she attended. LINK => http://www.youtube.com/user/1101CigarLounge?feature=mhum

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well I don't think she will ever be that good. She is good for her age but she's got lots of competition that is better than her that she's got to fight through. As she grows in age, maturity and strength we'll see how far she can get? New York University has contacted her via letter to come and fence for them after she graduates from high school. No scholarship offer (yet) just an invitation to apply with the implication that she's make their team if accepted to the school. I believe she can be a very credible and competitive collegiate fencer if she decides to pursue the sport through college.

Here is a link to a YouTube page that I created for one of my cigar shops, I've uploaded some of her fencing videos. All of these were filmed yesterday at the competition she attended. LINK => http://www.youtube.com/user/1101CigarLounge?feature=mhum

Boy they seem to nail each other just about the same time! Seems it would be good for her to keep at it!

Hey, I like the way you got to slide the shop in there so nobody is the wiser....pretty cool....:yum: