• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp 1404 Heater

rodre

Despite the blower working on my new to me Imp it didn't blow any hot air. Upon further inspection it appears someone disconnected the input/output hoses from the heater core and just put an elbow in between them to complete the circuit. I am guessing the heater core must leak, how common of a problem is this? What would be the best way to test this? How hard is it to remove the blower and heater core assembly? If the core does leak could a rad shop repair it? Or does anyone know of a replacement part? Thanks.

hansoni

If I remember right the heater core is buried in a box that bolts to the forward bulkhead and needs to be unbolted from inside the radiator compartment. Not sure if you will have to take the radiator out or not. I too would like to know of a replacement number exists for the core as I have one that is bad.

rodre

Yes, I looked up the drawing in the manual and it looks like there is 4 bolts on the drivers side of the core.

hansoni, how did you come to the conclusion that yours was bad? What was it doing/not doing?

rodre

I took a look around there but didn't see anything that might work, was there something specific you saw there?

I am thinking of hooking mine back up (yes, maybe I am in denial), on the off chance that the PO unhooked it so it would not bleed heat off the engine as I am getting the feeling he may have been running the cat in a very cold climate. He had placed a Mr. Heater propane heater in the cab for heat, which I am not big on the idea of breathing in propane exhaust fumes in a small enclosed space.

rodre

I recall the heater core and blower being larger than 7", so it would probably fit.

I looked on a bunch of random radiator shop websites and many mention that they repair heater cores. I am going to call some local ones and see what they say. I also might pull the alternator cover off and have a good look at the unit and see if it has any numbers on it, or maybe with an inspection camera. I doubt Thiokol manufactured the unit and the OEM may still be in business.

I am considering pouring some water into it to see if it has any obvious leaks. Or else maybe try and pressure test it in place with a cooling system pressure tester I had at one point, if I can find it.

If I put the hoses back on will the air that is in there work itself out or will it cause a problem? Does any one know?

PJL

Hook it up and run the engine. You might have to top the radiator after it's warmed up enough to open the thermostat. The 1200 I drive has 2 heaters mounted higher than the radiator. They get plenty hot. The bypass could be as simple as a heater valve not shutting off, if it even has one. Or it's just old and rotted out. Mine was replaced over the summer and the shop guys found an identical replacement. But I don't know where.

hansoni

Yes, I looked up the drawing in the manual and it looks like there is 4 bolts on the drivers side of the core.

hansoni, how did you come to the conclusion that yours was bad? What was it doing/not doing?

One of the tubes is busted off.

rodre

I am pretty sure if you take it to a rad shop they can fix it as the tubes are part of the core material from the reading I have done.

Otherwise maybe PJL can ask the guys who did his repairs where they got the core?

rockhead

Anybody know offhand if the blower motors on these and the 1450's are the same or what they are ?
Mine works on high and low but is loud after it settles in from squealing horribly when first started. :ermm:

jkp2

I found a replacement that is very close, the width is exact and the height is a little less. I used some good foam adhesive back strips to fill the gap and bolted the new core through the side of the heater box (the new core had brackets for bolting). If I remember correctly, I got it through Summit Racing for not much money (50-60 bucks?). I'll dig around tonight to see if I can find the receipt with part number on it, but if you measure yours and look on their website they have the dimensions/details for replacements. The new core works perfectly.

Here's a few pictures with it installed:

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 265

rodre

That looks like the one jkp2 posted, is it the same or is it an exact size?

Oh, also, which hose off the engine is the output (to heater core inlet) and which is the return? As mentioned above mine have been joined with an elbow.

catservice

I have no idea if its the same as what was posted earlier. This is the one I have in my notes as being a replacement. Input and output on the motor I can remember off hand which ports are which.

Last edited:

rodre

Could I impose on anyone with a 1404 Imp to take a look and tell me which hose off the engine goes to which pipe on the heater core? I have my rebuilt one coming back to me this week and want to hook it up.

So kinda funny story, when I picked up my Imp I could see the sun faded the paint a little differently where the logos from the utility company that would have been the original owner of the unit would have been. I could almost make out the logo and it looked really familiar - to the point I was Googling "US Utility Company logos". Fast forward to when I pulled my heater core and it had a plate welded on the side that read [FONT=&quot]"027189 ISLAND RAD. LTD.". I thought "whoopee a part number!!!" so I Googled it. Turns out Island Radiator Ltd. is a radiator shop on Vancouver Island in a small city called Nanaimo (you guessed it, that is where Naniamo Bars were invented - some house wife's claim to fame I heard). I emailed them and it turns out it is one of their custom replacements - hence the fancy plate and it must have been replaced before. Then that is when it clicked - the logo impression I was seeing was obviously the logo for BC Hydro - my Imp was originally a BC Hydro machine #1197 and I picked it up in Utah! lol I felt like I brought the old girl home and that it was just meant to be [/FONT]:boobies:

That took me too long to make the connection on the logo, I swear, sometimes I think I am not going grey I am going blonde lol, hopefully I am getting better looking too lol

I have a buddy who has a buddy that works in BC Hydro's fleet division and he is going to see if they have any records for it.

PJL

That's cool to know it's history. As far as your heater, is there a heater valve in the system? The core doesn't care which way it flows. The valve might if it's an automotive style.

rodre

That's cool to know it's history. As far as your heater, is there a heater valve in the system? The core doesn't care which way it flows. The valve might if it's an automotive style.

I don't know if it does or not, not sure where to check either. Maybe someone can throw a dog a bone here?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
No valve -- the heater control merely turns the blower motor on/off. The heater core always has water flowing through it regardless of whether the blower motor is on.

rodre

Thanks! I am going to have to check if the core was directional on mine because it was replaced before.