• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air America Files Bankruptcy, oh Boo Hoo

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/01/21/air-america-goes-air/?test=latestnews

Air America Goes Off the Air

Air America Radio, a progressive radio network that once aired commentary from Al Franken and Rachel Maddow, said Thursday it is shutting down immediately.
The company founded in April 2004 said it ceased airing new programs Thursday afternoon and will soon file to be liquidated under Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It began broadcasting reruns of programs and would end those as well Monday night.
Air America said 10 consecutive quarters of declining ad revenue and the difficulty of making money on the Internet contributed to its financial woes.

"The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a `perfect storm' in the media industry generally," the company said in a statement on its Web site.
The network had some 100 radio outlets nationwide.
Franken, a Democrat, hosted his own show from 2004 to 2007 before going on to become a U.S. senator from Minnesota last year after a close election. Maddow went on to host her own TV show on MSNBC.

Could it be that they don't have the message that the American people want to hear? They blame it on everything but their message and agenda!

Treefriend

Banned
This comes as no surprise to most of us...and no loss, really.

The writing was on the wall a long time ago. The decisions they were

making showed serious signs of bad judgment.

They fired Randi Rhodes. Trust me, Randi Rhodes deserved to be fired.She

was and is a lying, misleading, self important, crude obnoxious person. But they

did not fire her for that. They fired her for something she said about Clinton

during the 2008 campaign at a private function. They yielded to pressure

from a lunatic fringe made up of militant feminists who called themselves the

P.U.M.A.'s.

Meanwhile, they relegated their best talent, like the great Laura Flanders

to a couple of minutes on weekends.

The rising star and brilliant (if annoying) Rachel Maddow moved to MSNBC.

Al Franken has been gone for years.

Tom Hartman bailed last year.

There are other, better progressive networks who offered a lot better

shows that were not as agenda driven as the ones owner Greenbalm or whatever

his name is wanted on Air America.

I will put this bluntly and probably be accused of anti-semitism...that is not the

case, I am not anti-semitic, but the fact is Air America had a zionist focus

and they eliminated anyone who had a broader view of the trouble in the Middle East.

That was clear almost fom the beginning.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I had great expectations before they started. Then I listened, and quickly concluded their format was to put up loons as nasty and ignorant as those on the right.

The last show I tried to listen to was some woman who kept bringing 'Snow Patrol', apparently a band, into a conversation where it was irrelevant. Sounded like she was anxious because she had missed her connection.

I don't think anyone is going to miss them.

Treefriend

Banned
No, not Al Franken. Al Franken is smart, even keeled, centrist and well spoken.

I'm guessing he means the likes Mike Malloy or the terrible Randi Rhodes.

rc2james

Site Supporter
I’m just tired of commentators, political programs, unions, religious groups, and any number of other “Live Like We say” collection of “All Knowing” persons telling me what I should think.
I’m a big boy and can think for myself. I say good riddance to the lot of em.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy treehugger,
Al Franken is a nutjob!!!! Just to be fair though, I am happy that you are a tree lover because my dog uses you regularly to relieve himself and heck so do I!!!!!

Treefriend

Banned
Al Franken a nut job? Naaw. He's actually an even keeled centrist

who is educated and well spoken. Where did you get the notion that he

was a nut job?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Um, his actions, his commentary, his slant on things. PNJ - Pure nut job.

mak2

Rush and Beck are not nutjobs. I said dittos above because I believe the right wing talk hosts have an agenda. They are the reason the right wing base votes for the things the rich right wingers want. They are not nuts, they shape the thought of millions of Americans. Really much more scary than a single nut job in congress. Left wing talk show host dont get the same traction with their base, their base listen to NPR, the main stream media, and at least have a wider base for their belief system.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to listen to Air America from time to time. I thought most of it was very mean spirited and many of the hosts were simply insulting, they often used derogatory names/phrases to refer to their counterparts and those they disagree with.

Now that said, Sirius Patriot Radio has a host by the name of Mike Church, he's a right wing host who is as, if not more, insulting than any leftist I've ever listened to. When his show comes on I switch the station. Seems to me that people should make their point but not use derogatory names/phrases to insult others. Disagree or agree on policy, but leave personal issues outside of the discussion.

As for Frankin, even keeled and centrist are certainly not phrases I would associate with him. His policies are far left within the American political spectrum.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
, their base listen to NPR, the main stream media, and at least have a wider base for their belief system.

That's almost a laughable comment. A wider base? Npr, MSM??

That's one way to justify your position; make the other side seem somehow less.

That response is straight out of the Dems playbook.

Then you say rich right wingers. There are no rich left wingers? Or only the rich right wingers watch the likes of Rush and Beck? What was that comment insinuating?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
they often used derogatory names/phrases to refer to their counterparts and those they disagree with.

This is typical of the lw's. However, I'm sure there are rw's that do this as well. I've never heard of the guy you mention, but I would switch channels as well. Insults are out of bounds for debate.

mak2

That's almost a laughable comment. A wider base? Npr, MSM??

That's one way to justify your position; make the other side seem somehow less.

That response is straight out of the Dems playbook.

Then you say rich right wingers. There are no rich left wingers? Or only the rich right wingers watch the likes of Rush and Beck? What was that comment insinuating?

I have not read the Dems playbook. The masses of the republican party do not benfit from the RW agenda. think about it. I am not a loon either, I just calls em as I sees em.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Me

I was not debating him. It would be neat if ol' Al joined here for debate. I don't care if he's rep or dem, lib or con, I think he is a certifiable nut job. That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The masses of the republican party do not benfit from the RW agenda.
Your evidence?

How about your evidence that the masses of the Democratic party benefit from the LW agenda?

mak2

Oh, that is great, just dont get mad at me. I just wish both sides could really discuss the issues. I cant talk to my friends and family about issues because the actually start talking about death panels and concentration camps. One is from Rush and one from Beck. Both are fantasy, but no one thinks, but distracts from the real debate.

mak2

Your evidence?

How about your evidence that the masses of the Democratic party benefit from the LW agenda?

First, I do think the loons do exactly the same thing. Social programs like welfare are horrible and have enslaved those that are on it. the Dems buy votes by giving people stuff. The only reason I am pro universal healthcare I understand our system we have now and the greed of the system is almost criminal, the only reason it is not is the criminals are writing the laws. All Americans would benefit from a true UHC system, but it appears that is years away.

I think the loons buy votes with freebies and the Right buy support from corporations, and have to control the base with rhetoric and fear. neither give a damn about me and you. Think about it, how can a two party system really govern a country with such a wide range of issues? I dont like either party, but the right wing is nearly hysterical, and Beck scares my Mom for no reason.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's the simple fact that you've got to have a marketable item to make money ...... :glare:

mak2

yea, and Rush's market jsut needs to know what to think about stuff. The left does not seem to need that is all I am saying.

Chetdb

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me".

Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Treefriend

Banned
Rush and Beck are not nutjobs. I said dittos above because I believe the right wing talk hosts have an agenda. They are the reason the right wing base votes for the things the rich right wingers want. They are not nuts, they shape the thought of millions of Americans. Really much more scary than a single nut job in congress. Left wing talk show host dont get the same traction with their base, their base listen to NPR, the main stream media, and at least have a wider base for their belief system.

NPR is garbage. It is right wing drivel. NPR is even more dangerous than traitors

like Rush Limbaugh because the have a veneer and reputation of being

left so their message in more insidious, subtle, dishonest and pervasive.

With NPR it is not what they say or report, it is what they deliberately

leave out of their reporting.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NPR is garbage. It is right wing drivel. NPR is even more dangerous than traitors

like Rush Limbaugh because the have a veneer and reputation of being

left so their message in more insidious, subtle, dishonest and pervasive.

With NPR it is not what they say or report, it is what they deliberately

leave out of their reporting.

I don't know what NPR your listening to but what I hear is as liberal left as it gets. I think checking your dial is in order .............. :ermm:

mak2

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me".

Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

so what does this mean?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
so what does this mean?

It is just a sampling of how people act when they don't have to pay for their healthcare. When you have no repercussions for your irresponsible actions because there is always the guberment there to pay for all your bills, the system will never, ever work.