• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford to kill Taurus X, Mercury Sable

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow! I thought those were popular! :huh::shock:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081204/ANA08/812049952/1176

Ford Motor Co. has notified dealers to prepare their final orders for the two vehicles before production ends in the spring.
Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer told Automotive News today that Ford will assemble the final Taurus X in March. The final Sable will roll off the assembly line at the end of April.
"Basically, it's the last call at the bar," Schirmer said.
Automotive News had reported that the two vehicles were expected to be discontinued, based on information from suppliers and industry product analysts. But Ford had not confirmed the decision until now.
Both vehicles are assembled at Ford's Chicago assembly plant. The Taurus X is the former Freestyle, introduced in 2004. It was renamed in 2007. The Sable is the former Mercury Montego, also introduced in 2004 and renamed in 2007.
CEO Alan Mulally had advocated the revival of the storied Taurus and Sable names after the original vehicle line was dropped in 2006.
The two nameplates will end as a next-generation Taurus sedan will be launched next year. As Ford restructures to lower sales levels, it can no longer support as many nameplates, Schirmer said.
The 2010 Taurus will go into production in the spring and be on sale by the end of June, Schirmer said. It is expected to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show next month.
The dying vehicles haven't been big sellers. U.S. sales of the Taurus X were 22,141 through November, down 40.7 percent. Sable sales were 15,586 for the same period, down 20.7 percent.
"It's sad to see it go because it's a great car," said Jack Straub, a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Keyport, N.J., said of the current-generation Sable. "It's a great car nobody ever knew about."

D

darroll

Now they seem like they are getting rid of the cars that no-one buys.
What took them so long?
Could it be the bail out? naw!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
A friend of mine just bought a new 2008 Taurus. It is the old 500. I didn't drive it but I did sit in it and it seemed like a really nice car. I wonder if most people think of it as the old Taurus and don't even look at it. I sure would buy one right now.

murph

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
A friend of mine just bought a new 2008 Taurus. It is the old 500. I didn't drive it but I did sit in it and it seemed like a really nice car. I wonder if most people think of it as the old Taurus and don't even look at it. I sure would buy one right now.

murph

We have a 500 for a company car. Drives great, trunk is huge and it gets good mileage. I like it. Not as comfortable in a 10 1/2 hour drive as my Avalon, but nice for sure.

And it's the Taurus X that is getting the Axe... don't think it's the same as the plain Taurus.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not sure any of the crossovers have taken off like they hoped...

Ford already had the Taurus X and the Edge, now they introduce the Flex. No wonder they are not big sellers, too many models.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think Ford should just close Mercury. I can't believe that there is that much "added" value in the Mercury name. I see very little differentiation between the two brands.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Ford already had the Taurus X and the Edge, now they introduce the Flex. No wonder they are not big sellers, too many models.

Ah..., I have seen the Flex.. I wondered if the how similar the Taurus X was.... I would not drive the Flex so....

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ford may not be totally in the crapper though . . .

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg.../dailytelegraph/comments/return_of_back_when/

Its makers might be, should this happy fuel price trend continue. (Perhaps anticipating cheaper fuel, Toyota’s next Prius will be fatter and faster.) And who is the winner here, besides drivers who no longer require that second mortgage?
Ford’s newly-redesigned F-150 is selling well enough right now that the Blue Oval has added an extra shift of production at its assembly plant in Kansas City, MO, along with approval for scheduled overtime. An extra shift is also being planned for the Dearborn assembly plant. These are the types of “problems” that automakers don’t mind dealing with after a successful new product launch.

“Selling well enough” is an understatement. Look who’s back at Number One:

bestsell.jpg

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Crossovers arent so great. Might as well get a standard car or a Minivan. They cost less from what I remember.