• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mowing slopes

BadAttitude

Anyone have steep slopes that they mow on a regular basis? I knew part of my front yard was at least 25*. Now that I've mounted the tiltmeter, I took a couple pics from the operators seat.

I only took a pic of the meter when it was on the upside of the slope...that's where I was sitting:D . Didn't have the nerve to slide down and take a pic when the meter was on the downside.:eek:

Attachments

• tilt meter.jpg
    tilt meter.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 25 degree slope.jpg
    25 degree slope.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 51

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only reason I own a Ventrac is because of a couple steep slopes.

It is a great feeling to go from a tractor that scares you every time you venture onto a steep spot and move to a tractor that will do 'figure 8's' on the same slopes.

BadAttitude

What makes the Ventrac the choice for slopes, low COG?
I recall reading 'elsewhere' that you as well as a few others had one of these to mow slopes with.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
What makes the Ventrac the choice for slopes, low COG?

In part the low COG. In part the articulated frame. In part the oscillating frame. In part the 4 wheel drive. And I think in greater part than any of those is the weight transfer system that moves the implements weight onto the front axle. That sytem is standard on the Model 3000 and the Model 4200, I believe it is optional on the 4100. Steiner also has a similar weight transfer system that shifts the implement weight onto the front axle.

The combined effect of all the features is what makes it work so darn well.

If a regular tractor drives its front right wheel up onto a 4" tall rock then the entire right side of the tractor lifts, the right rear loses some traction and the weight shifts to the left. Most tractors have a front wheel assist as opposed to a true 4 wheel drive so traction is greatly enhanced but still not as good as if all 4 wheels were positively driven. On flat ground that is not a big deal, on a slope that could be tragic.

If a Ventrac drives its front right wheel up onto a 4" tall rock then the frame oscillates, the right rear tire remains firmly on the ground and maintains traction, the front part of the tractor will shift some weight to the left side, but the rear of the tractor does not shift any weight. The implement, due to the weight transfer system, actually moves 70+% of its weight over the front axles to keep increase traction on the front wheels. All 4 wheels are driven equally so traction is constant. On flat ground all this is irrelevant, on a slope it is amazingly stable.

BadAttitude

B_Skurka said:
In part the low COG. In part the articulated frame. In part the oscillating frame. In part the 4 wheel drive. And I think in greater part
Dang that's alotta >part's<:D ...sorry, couldn't help myself:eek:

seriously though...the last paragraph says it all. Oscillation and weight transfer seem to be the key points. Is there a video link that shows what you state in action? I'd like to see one if there is.

Thanks for the explanation :tiphat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not aware of a video of the Ventracs. But it seems to me that Steiner used to have one posted on their website, don't know if it is still there.

What I can tell you is that it is darn amazing. I live in Indiana so my slopes are not tall compared to many other areas of the country, but my property is bisected by 2 creeks so I have a ridge line with a 60' elevation drop from top to bottom. Most of the 60' drop occurs in a very short run so my property is divided into an upper area and a lower area. The division is the slope going down the ridges. It makes up a small total portion of my property but it is a huge problem to mow. I will not take either of the CUTs down one of the areas, but I will drive them up that area (illogical I know but fear rules the day) when coming up, I have had to back down several times to re-attempt the vertical assault. Not so much because it is too steep, but because the ground is uneven and unless all 4 tires are in contact with the ground the tractors simply stop. When I used my Cub Cadet I had filled tires & 75# wheel weights & tire chains and I would still spin the wheels coming up the hill.

The Ventrac simply climbs up while turning the mower deck at full speed.

www.ventrac.com
www.steinerturf.com

Chief

I have cut on steeper slopes than that with my 4410 but I use 4WD and cut up the slope perpendicular to it and back down again while working my way across. For really step stuff I have a Deere F525 that will slide off a slope before it rolls. Otherwise I use a string trimmer of my Stihl FS450K.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
€hieƒ™ said:
I have cut on steeper slopes than that with my 4410 but I use 4WD and cut up the slope perpendicular to it and back down again

That works great in open areas, but there are many of us who have slopes that are very confined by trees, etc. If you have a top and bottom area where you can turn around, a traditional tractor is certainly a good choice.

BadAttitude

€hieƒ™ said:
I have cut on steeper slopes than that with my 4410 but I use 4WD and cut up the slope perpendicular to it and back down again while working my way across. For really step stuff I have a Deere F525 that will slide off a slope before it rolls. Otherwise I use a string trimmer of my Stihl FS450K.
I prefer to cut in a checkerboard pattern, alternating direction every time I mow. Up & down isn't a problem, but cross slope can be a little hairy. I often wonder if I'll be as brave when I reach my 60's or 70's? I use a TC24DA with MMM. Anything bigger...forget it!!