• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Year ll same as the 1st

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last year I planted, carrots, potatoes, rutabeggies (sp) radishes and some other junk my wife wanted.

The rutabeggies were so hot that you could not eat them, the radishes about the same thing, the carrots only got a 1/2" long and the potatoes came in bunches but had a bad bitter after taste to them. And my wife being the person she is told pretty much everything I did wrong. I did not water them enough, I put fertilizer on.

So this year I pretty much kept the sprinkler on just about every day for a couple of hours at least, one of our gardens is in a low spot so water does not run off, so plenty of water this year, I only put fertilizer on once and my radishes are hotter than a pistol and sneaking some potatoes out of the potatoe plants I have this bitter taste again this year. Is there something in the soil or does any of you guys have an idea to what is causing this?

murph

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Where does the neighbor's cat take a dump?
Bonehead
Well Bonehead actually might have a point (and it might not be on top of his head)

The fertilizer you are using may be giving you the bitter taste. Various soil nutrients, minerals, etc can case different tastes. You may want to have your soil tested by your county agent to see if it is lacking something.

BoneheadNW

In addition to the deer, we have raccoons, possums, and neighborhood cats looking for something to eat and a place to crap. A good deer fence keeps them all out.

I wonder if Murph's pH is real low (acid) causing the bitter taste.
Bone

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had it tested a couple of years ago because I was getting rust on my lawn. The guy told me everything was fine but my nitrogen was way low. So I have been buying 26-0-10 as he recomended. If I don't use any fertilizer nothing grows it just barely comes up.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Murph,

Have you amended the soild with any compost? Steer manure is the best (AFAIK). I also like to use miracle gro on my garden (it's not that big). I just load a bag of it through the sprinkler once a week.

In the spring I put a thick coating of steer manure over the ground and till it in. Last year I added a lot of peat moss and this year I added some sand (ordered too much for the kids sand box).

Things are growing really well this year in spite of the less than ideal weather we have been having.

Sounds to me like your dirt is bad. If your garden isn't very big then you could always just dig some of the dirt out and replace it with some new dirt of better quality.

Those are my thoughts. I don't claim to be a master gardener.

PB

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
PB,

Every year I have been putting my extra mulch in the garden and tilling it in. I even had an extra load of black dirt that I dumped in and spread it around. I could try getting some manure and spreading it in there and see what happens. Will have to now wait until next year for that.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
thcri said:
We had it tested a couple of years ago because I was getting rust on my lawn. The guy told me everything was fine but my nitrogen was way low.
Rust in lawn is very high amounts of iron.

My guess is that and/or high sulfer may be the issue.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
thcri said:
PB,

Every year I have been putting my extra mulch in the garden and tilling it in.

murph

Mulch is bark and when the bark decomposses, it takes the nitrogen out of the soil. I would never add mulch to the garden unneccessarly. I believe that what you are doing is doing more harm to the soil than good. Add lime, manure, peat moss, and sand for drainage, and you should have better luck. You can also add leaf mold to improve the soil. Learn more about this here....Junk....

Grooming Snow

:pat: You dumb SHIT did you ever take a soil sample :confused2: Easy to do even for some one in MN, And the cost should be no more than maybe $20-$30 bucks! Call county AG agent he or she can tell were to send the sample or stop of at a local farm coop and ask about soil testing , If they see that your a :D green horn they will most likely give all kinda smart ass remarks :yankchain: :yankchain: but after they have had their fun with they will help. (((And))) don't pay them to come out and pull a sample unless they stop after work for :burp: :burp: You can do the samples by just taken a shovel dig down about 12" in about 3 or 4 spots and take a hand full of soil from each pile put in to 1 gallon bucket and mix it up and from that the sample is taken to test. And when you get the soil test back take to the Ag agent or Coop and they can tell you what you may need.

And if there is one spot in the garden that is giving you a problem just pull soil from that spot and test it:thumb:
To much fertlizer or mulch can also be a problem:smileywac

Grass clippings & leafs from oaks and other hard woods used as mulch is a no no! Make a compost bin or pile if do that way you end up with a nice black dirt and leave that is for a year or so some use grass clippings and forget that they have used weed killer on it. And that can be a problem :whistle:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
thcri said:
We had it tested a couple of years ago because I was getting rust on my lawn.
murph

Grooming Snow said:
:pat: You dumb SHIT did you ever take a soil sample :confused2: Easy to do even for some one in MN, And the cost should be no more than maybe $20-$30 bucks!

So like what part of We had it tested a couple of years ago did you not understand???:confused2::confused2: Cheeseheads :pat:

Grooming Snow

:horsepoop: Didn't see that :pat: Well what do you want I am From Wisconsin The Land of Milk and :5boobs: and alot of :moon: :tiphat:
If you have water that may stand for a day or so ((MOVE THE Garden)) find the best place the lawn grows the best and put the graden there :thumb:
Do you really want to cut the grass:whistle:
Location where is it ? Any trees?:confused2: black walnut will kill and so will oak it's hard to even grow grass , to much acid in the soil and this will happen roots go out as wide as the tree is and some say tall
And my next is :weneedpic of that garden

AND rutabeggies NEED new land, some place that nothing had been grown or they get woody ! My Dad would grow them the along some land that was to full of stones to farm or if we cut a bunch of trees down he would work it up and seed it down and come fall rutabeggies -rutabeggies-rutabeggies and then we dip them in wax and of to market, he always had people calling to see if he had any.

Last edited: