• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Iran fired on U.S. drone on Nov.1

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
WASHINGTON (AP) — An Iranian attack aircraft fired at least twice at an unarmed U.S. drone conducting routine surveillance in international airspace over the Persian Gulf, the Pentagon said Thursday. The aircraft missed and the drone returned to base unharmed.
The shooting in the Gulf, which occurred just before 5 a.m. EDT on Nov. 1, was unprecedented, Pentagon press secretary George Little said. The incident was not disclosed sooner because the military does not discuss classified surveillance missions, but agreed to answer questions after news reports revealed the shooting.
Little said the drone was about 16 miles off the Iranian coast when the Russian-made SU-25 Frogfoot warplane intercepted it and opened fire. He said it was the first time an unmanned U.S. aircraft was shot at in international airspace over the Gulf.
"Our aircraft was never in Iranian air space. It was always flying in international air space," Little told Pentagon reporters. "The United States has communicated to the Iranians that we will continue to conduct surveillance flights over international waters over the Arabian Gulf, consistent with longstanding practice and our commitment to the security of the region."
According to the Pentagon, the Iranian war plane made at least two passes by the slower-moving drone, firing "multiple rounds."
Little said that once the Predator drone came under fire, it began to move further out and the Iranian aircraft continued to pursue it "for some period of time before letting it return to base." The Iranian plane did not follow the drone all the way back to its base, Little said, declining to say where that base was.
He said there was no other U.S. aircraft nearby that could respond to the attack, and added that the U.S. believes Iran was trying to shoot the drone down.
This is the second incident involving a U.S. drone and Iran.
In December 2011 a U.S. RQ-170 Sentinel drone equipped with stealth technology was captured in eastern Iran. Tehran claims it brought down the aircraft, but U.S. officials said the drone malfunctioned and had to land.
After initially saying only that a drone had been lost near the Afghan-Iran border, American officials eventually confirmed the plane was monitoring Iran's military and nuclear facilities. Washington asked for it back but Iran refused, and instead released photos of Iranian officials studying the aircraft.
International waters begin at 12 nautical miles offshore.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Today unmanned aircraft, tomorrow?this is and act of war. we will do nothing.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think it will be blamed on some movie? Maybe they are cruising youtube looking for a video to blame it on. That takes time ya know. :pat:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a question. The drone was unarmed, unmanned. Does it have rights? I don't like Iran, but, come on now. The government watched four people die on video provided by such a machine. Surely we have bigger fish to fry, er avenge.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I do think the report was suppressed till after the elections so nobody would think he was a chickenshit.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just a question. The drone was unarmed, unmanned. Does it have rights? I don't like Iran, but, come on now. The government watched four people die on video provided by such a machine. Surely we have bigger fish to fry, er avenge.

no rights a far as i can tell, we will not declare war on Iran cuz your very right "we have bigger fish to fry".it was intentional that they did not shoot it down(they could have easily)but did shoot at it to test our reaction. it was an unmanned military aircraft "this time". i do believe it is an act of war though:neutral:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I just think they are cranked off, because, had it been shot down theey would have one less camera to watch Americans killed with.

mak2

Come on...They didnt really name their plane "Frogfoot" did they? No wonder it missed. Suppressed it do u guys ever give it a break?

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe I was't clear. Here we have a drone unmanned an unarmed fired upon in International waters. I am sorry, I cannot see an act of war here. No American was in any danger at any time. Better we should have defended the Americans killed at the embassy. air support was only a few minutes away. In terms of protecting Americans we should not need any permission. Inanimate objects just do not count.

Time was when American citizens could roam the globe and be safe, because, everyone knew the price of harming one. Now days, threatening and harming us is profitable and I am not just speaking of the current administration.

mak2

I dont know for sure about drones but a jet piolt that flew F18's told me jets didnt usually have to shoot down small planes and choppers, they just buzz them with afterburners kicked in. ysz its a drone.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
While I don't dispute that it was unarmed, it is still wrong that we first learn about it from a middle east news report and not our own government. This transparency is really making me stumble over things.:w00t2:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on...They didnt really name their plane "Frogfoot" did they? No wonder it missed. Suppressed it do u guys ever give it a break?

It's the NATO designation for it. It's kind of like our A10 as far as its mission .

mak2

While I don't dispute that it was unarmed, it is still wrong that we first learn about it from a middle east news report and not our own government. This transparency is really making me stumble over things.:w00t2:

Drones missionz are probably top secret. Oh, wherez the transArency?

It's the NATO designation for it. It's kind of like our A10 as far as its mission .

Sounded funny as doez warthog

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm-a-Dinner-Job better hope that his pilots were just messing around. If a pair of SU-25's really couldn't shoot down a
surveillance drone, he needs to get some serious remedial training for his Air Farce.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Iran's Air Force and command & control will be destroyed within hours of any conflict. They have assets but their Air Force and ability to communicate will be severely comprimised. They will be in the dark and shooting blind.

My Dad used to say that one of the few guarantees in life is that if you go looking for a fight, you will find one.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets all hope it will not escalet to war with Iran OR into Syria . Even though we may not be fighting on US dirt . The domestic issues here at home would be far reaching . A war is not worth it . Find another way to solve the problems .

mak2

We already spend more on arms than then next 17 countries combined. We need to keep a good war going on somewhere. The military industriL complex needs the money.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do think the report was suppressed till after the elections so nobody would think he was a chickenshit.

I don't see how we can rule out that it was suppressed by the administration. And I would further say that if a republican was in the white house they would do the same thing one week before the election unless they somehow saw and advantage to releasing the info. No surprise either way.

We already spend more on arms than then next 17 countries combined. We need to keep a good war going on somewhere. The military industriL complex needs the money.

Good point make. I remember when it was speculated that we needed a war for the economy to grow. I have not heard that for quite a while but no doubt war does create some back-end jobs here at home. I have to wonder if we actually get out of Afghanistan and we are not involved in any other conflicts what effect that will have on our economy and our unemployment stats?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see how we can rule out that it was suppressed by the administration. And I would further say that if a republican was in the white house they would do the same thing one week before the election unless they somehow saw and advantage to releasing the info. No surprise either way.

Good point make. I remember when it was speculated that we needed a war for the economy to grow. I have not heard that for quite a while but no doubt war does create some back-end jobs here at home. I have to wonder if we actually get out of Afghanistan and we are not involved in any other conflicts what effect that will have on our economy and our unemployment stats?

I guess most forget who the first president that warned of the military industrial complex and its goals. If you have it was Eisenhower, hardly a liberal though by today's standards perhaps he would labeled as one.

loboloco

Part of the reason we spend more than others is that we are the guarantor, thru treaties and alliances, of the security of over 50 nations. These nations spend, comparatively, very little on their military's because we carry the burden for them.
I don't think we should be providing this for a large percentage of these nations for various reasons. Basically, we should withdraw from NATO, ANZUS, SEAN, and a couple of others and then renegotiate our military presence and status.