• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

University study lets couch potatoes burn fitness handbook…

Lia

Banned
The power of thought is an amazing thing...

It is the news geeks have been waiting for - a US study suggests that tapping away at your keyboard can help you lose just as much weight as sweating it out at the gym.
Researchers at Indiana University found virtual exercise was at least as beneficial as real exercise because the confidence and motivation created in the virtual world continued offline.

Over a 12-week period, two groups were monitored by Indiana University. One exercised in the real world and the other watched their virtual selves do all the hard work.

But despite the difference in exertion levels, both groups had a similar average weight loss of 4.5 kilograms.
Assistant Professor Jeanne Johnston from Indiana University says she was surprised by the finding.

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/06/3237037.htm

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is an exercise program I could keep up with for sure. LOL :yum:

Somehow I doubt this 'theory' will hold out to be true in the long run.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess some of it would depend on what "sites" you were browsing!:brows::yum::yum:

Lia

Banned
That is an exercise program I could keep up with for sure. LOL :yum:

Somehow I doubt this 'theory' will hold out to be true in the long run.

lol. Mind over matter? The thing is tho, the power of thought and suggestion has proven to be a force to be reckoned with in several experiments. Hypnosis springs to mind, and the evidence for its success in many area’s, such as where the patient wants to quit smoking, is very convincing.

I just wonder tho, for those of a mind, or need to diet, or get fit, what would this costs one to try out the theory. It’s a win, win situ the way I see it. Either one will lose weight, in which case, one has gained; or, one doesn’t lose weight and has er... lost nothing. :whistle:

Seriously tho, anyone want to test the water, purely as an academic exercise, and let us all know how you got on? One wouldn’t even have to dip their hand in their pocket since I’m sure that these virtual exercise programmes could be found somewhere online; U-Tube probably. I’d do it myself but at 5’5”, and weighing in at around 110 lbs, I could do with a bit more. lol.

I guess some of it would depend on what "sites" you were browsing!:brows::yum::yum:

And as for you and AAUTO, lol, you're just naughty boys! :wink:

Wart

Allot of this is the human body uses a fantastic amount of energy just by 'breathing'.

That is, the body consumes lots of energy just by staying alive without doing what would be considered physical exertion.

TBC.