• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I want to learn to play the Ukulele

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like!

I may have to look into one. As for the lessons, amazing Grace is one I teach to my guitar students when they are first learning. Who doesn't know it? Right? Easy song with only two chords.

They come in the FLUKE and the FLEA models.

Fluke is what I got from Ebay. FLEA is a semi-round body. Both can be had for roughly $180 with basic wood, which is available in several finishes. They also make a 4 string Banjolele.

You can go pretty crazy with options, stock wood designs - or custom wood designs, Solid Koa or Solid Spruce soundboards, walnut fret board, upgraded geared tuners (probably a good option), etc. Just as easy to spend $400+ on one of these as it is to spend $200. Not sure I'd want to drop a bundle on a plastic body Uke, but to sit around the bonfire or the pool I'll be happy with what I'm getting.

The basic models, with plywood soundboards and plastic fretboards can be left out without worrying about humidification, etc.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A uke is still on my radar a few months down the road. For now, i just bought another guitar. Damn ebay. Lmao.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No Uke practice today. I did some work and aggravated my arthritis in my left wrist. Lots of pain if I move my arm. Not so much if my arm doesn't move. Its all arthritis.

Sort of frustrating. I was hoping to practice Amazing Grace again today. Worked on it a bit yesterday and was unhappy with my progress. Did only "ok" when doing all down strokes. But then progressed to down/down/down/up pattern to add a bit of a jazz sound and I pretty much screwed up the chord changes almost every time. Tried again, same result. Wanted to revisit the same lesson again today but my wrist is too sore to try. Hoping for tomorrow.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got through Amazing Grace 3 times, all down strokes, without missing a chord change. My first attempt was my best, slow but basically flawless. The next 2 attempts I had 1 or 2 minor stumbles during the chord changes but managed to pull it off.

Switched to Amazing Grace with a bit of a jazz touch by adding an upstroke after each of the 3rd downstrokes. Made several attempts at it. Totally blew it a couple times and had to stop & restart. Eventually I did OK, not great, certainly not perfect. The upstroke sometimes was accomplished in time, sometimes during the chord change. But MUCH MUCH better than prior attempts.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Keep at er. The strumming will come eventually in time. I find it more important to concentrate on the chord changes when learning.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been practicing with the new "Fluke" ukulele and I'm unsure about it.

#1 - the tone is so very different from my expensive mango Uke that its somewhat off-putting. Clearly many very good Uke players swear by these things and its also clear that I am not the 'tone' expert of Uke players, so I should learn to love it?

#2 - and this is perhaps the only "real" criticism that I can levy against it, the friction tuners don't hold very well. I'm constantly retuning, retuning and retuning again to keep it in tune. There are some screws on the ends that can be used to tighten the tuners and I need to keep fiddling around to find the right combination of tightness and movability. But I think I'd really prefer the upgraded 'geared' tuners. I suppose I can buy those and install them. I'd prefer not to spend $69 for a set of upgraded tuners that drop fit directly into the existing holes.

--------------------------

On a side note, I did add a strap to this one, and I added some Fluke "Grip Strips" to the backside ... which were recommended by many owners. As the back of this is curved plastic it doesn't sit against your body well, the "Grip Strips" are simply rubber strips that stick onto the back and allow for a non-slip back. Much easier to play with them than without them. And the strap helps me due to the arthritis in my left wrist, but as light as this is I doubt that the vast majority of the FLUKE owners would need a strap.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 187

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Progress, in baby steps, slow but sure.

Still following my video lessons on DVD. The basic system is lesson, next lesson, go back to prior lessons and redo several of those, catch back up and move ahead, then go back and repeat. Seems to be working for me as the older lessons are easier and easier.

BUT there are some problems I'm having. There are 2 guys on the video, when the one guy plays the harmonica it can drown out the Uke player and that tends to screw me up. Naturally he tends to play louder when we have a more complex portion of a song, so I end up doing worse, or not getting that section. Still can't figure out what the heck a "swinging 8th" strum is supposed to be?!?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been following the "Ukulele Buddy" lessons on DVD.

Honestly I've started to get a little bored with the lessons, and also a little frustrated with some of them. But I worked through every lesson so far. Repeating each of them, many of those were repeated 6, 8 or even 10 times.

Got to the mid-point in the lesson plan (roughly lesson 35?). Need to change to DVD #3.

But decided not to do that. The last video on DVD #2 said that DVD #3 would progress into different techniques, strumming styles, etc.

Figured this was a good stopping point. I purchased a Hal Leonard lesson book featuring Ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro and wanted to play with that one for a while. The book includes a key code to watch videos that go with the book. Given the poor internet that we get at the house I opted to go to the cigar lounge where I downloaded all the videos so I'd have reliable playback.

Started with LESSON #1. His teaching style is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than the teaching on Ukulele Buddy. So even though I have gone backwards, I'm finding that its helping and it is challenging in a very different way. Jake is starting with FINGER PICKING, or more correctly THUMB plucking. Very simple songs. Staying only on 1 string but moving up and down the Fret Board to change the notes. I'm half way through the Ukulele Buddy lessons and have played maybe 3 songs? But with Jake I'm skipping around and playing several songs (badly, but still). So I've now plucked Hot Cross Buns, Twinkle Twinkle, Happy Birthday and even moved up to the Star Spangled Banner, which requires all the strings and lots of fret changes.

Ukulele Buddy = Chords
Jake Shimabukuro = single notes

Honestly can't say that one is better than the other, but totally different styles :hammer:

I think I will work through several more lessons J.S. lessons before I switch back to finish off the Ukulele Buddy course. I may just finish off the J.S. lessons before switching back? I'll see how far it goes before it diverts too far from the basics (since I barely know the basics).

Ukulele Buddy = roughly 70 lessons
Jake Shimabukuro = 13 lessons

Not sure if there is a Book #2 with more lessons by Jake? But I can't imagine that his 13 lessons can match the 70ish lessons from Ukulele Buddy. In any case I am finding the Jake lessons (1 & 2) to be an interesting switch that has peaked my interests again. So that is a good thing :smile:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Upon further progression with the Jake video I believe he goes WAY TOO FAST with WAY TOO LITTLE explanation.

Honestly I've very glad that I started with the Ukulele Buddy system. Their system starts out very slowly and keeps harping on the need to repeat lessons. It builds a nice foundation.

That said, I'm having fun with the Jake system. Got to the end of Video #2/Lesson #2. I did better following the book WITHOUT the video. Not that I dislike the video, its good, but it moves very quickly from one song to the next. He plays through the song and then goes immediately to the next. He doesn't speak out the fret numbers while he plays, which would make the process much easier. I'm trying to watch, listen while reading the book + play. Doesn't work well. Watching, stopping the video and then playing alone seems to work better?

With the Ukulele Buddy the instructor will call out the chord change, or the 2nd instructor will point to the chords, as they change, so you can follow.

On a side note, the Jake system seems to help teach the fretboard by FEEL because you move your hand up/down the fretboard and can feel them as you move.

----------

ALSO, just to make life easier for the slow learner (me), I bought a pack of mother of pearl "dots" off of eBay for $6. The FLUKE had far fewer fret dots than the Lanikai Ukulele. And since I switch between them I figured it would be easier for me if both were the same.

Pulled out a 6mm drill bit to match the size of the "dots" and drilled some holes into the plastic fretboard of the FLUKE, added a drop of glue and now there are fret dots on the 5, 7, 10 and 2 on the 12 on both of my instruments. The Lanikai also has a dot at the 15th, I did not drill the Fluke for a dot on the 15th as it is so far down it would be hard to play on the Fluke and none of my lessons have taken me down that far (yet). Perhaps I will, eventually?

I also took a very small, not sure the size, drill bit, and drilled into the EDGE of the FLUKE's fretboard and put small indentations at those same frets. Took a toothpick, dipped it into white paint, put a spot of paint into each of the indentations. Now the edge of both of the Ukes has markers that match too. Makes it much easier for me to find the right fret. I'm sure that an experienced player doesn't need those, but we are talking about the slow learner (me) :ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 180

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I came across a 6 string ukulele for sale here. I may go pick it up as it plays exactly like a guitar so I won't have to relearn an instrument. While doing a little research on it I came across this sweet video. This kid is a musical genius. I've seen him as a 6 year old playing guitar better than most professionals.

https://youtu.be/CmADB1N6XL8

Attachments

• ad_1493578569028.jpg
    ad_1493578569028.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 181

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because of my wrist brace/injury I've been unable to practice for several weeks. Not happy about that.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thankful that I still have full use of my arms and hands relatively pain free. I must say that my playing ability has greatly improved over the past two years since most days I play for 1-2 hours a day while watching tv.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I came across a 6 string ukulele for sale here. I may go pick it up as it plays exactly like a guitar so I won't have to relearn an instrument. While doing a little research on it I came across this sweet video. This kid is a musical genius. I've seen him as a 6 year old playing guitar better than most professionals.

https://youtu.be/CmADB1N6XL8

OK I'm unclear what this instrument is but I can't see how this is an ukulele. Clearly I am NOT an expert. But every 5 string Uke I find has a double string for the G. Every 6 string Uke that I can find has double strings for the G and C strings. And every 8 string Uke I've found has double G,C,E and A strings.

I can find no Uke that has 5, 6 or 8 individual strings. Except for this one that you pictured. So are you sure its not a mini-guitar? I think that is a Guitalele? Which is the love child resulting from the mating of a guitar & ukulele. Size of a Baritone (or Tenor) Uke but with the strings of a guitar. So I have to ask, are you sure this is a Uke and not a compact/small guitar ... Guitalele?

Now I do know that a lot of guitar players pick up the Baritone Uke because the 4 strings of the Baritone Uke mimic 4 of the 6 Guitar strings (but I don't know which 4).

And I'm clearly far less versed on musical instruments than many folks here so please take my question as one that is coming from inexperience and sincere bewilderment.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not entirely sure. Lol. It is advertised as a guitalele. It's a peavey composer 6 string guitalele. Sound and size of a uke but plays like a guitar. I got the approval from the boss. Going to pick it up either tonight or tomorrow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got it! Sweet little instrument. I'll have fun plucking it. It's about the same size as my merlin. It's basically a ukulele that mated with a classical guitar. The top 3 strings are nylon while the bottom three are steel. [emoji3]
68728b2660784e572d1597e16ca66579.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just like the others here, I wish to learn how to play an instrument like guitars and a Ukelele. But, you have to read about these guidelines and lessons for beginners below:

Learn to Play Ukelele
Top Ten Ukelele Tips for Beginners

One of the things I've found with learning to play this instrument is that there are TONS of resources on the internet.

Unfortunately for me, I've now been sidelined by a wrist injury (for about the last 5 or 6 weeks) because I was stupid and helped lift a baby grand piano :sad:

But there are a lot of FREE lessons on YouTube. There are plenty of books available at music stores or from on-line sellers. I purchased the UkuleleBuddy.com program and was very much enjoying it. Some things frustrated me a bit. Some things were glossed over early and then explained a bit later. But overall I'd say its a good way to self-learn.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my left wrist is still in a lot of pain.

So I'm still unable to practice the ukulele. 2 months without any practice. Basically I'm going to have to start over from the beginning. Not happy about any of this.

On the bright side I have a cheap ($39) ukulele kit that I've started to build. I have no pretense that it will play well. I know its just plywood junk with cheap parts. But it is giving me something to do that helps hold my interest in the instrument while I am unable to actually play.

My goal is to have a good looking piece of cheap wall art that is potentially playable, but I'm not holding out much hope on it holding a tune or having good tone. Like I said, its cheap but if it ends up looking good I'll be happy.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If it makes you feel any better Bob, I haven't touched a piano or anything of the sort in years, but know I can still do it.
Kinda like riding a bike.

Same for a guitar, the notes are all there, albeit in my head.
I can touch any surface and play Fur Elise, for example, and hear it.
yup!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I decided that, the hell with the pain, I would try to play again.

It did not go well.

First off, while I might have remembered where my fingers belonged on the frets, they didn't seem to want to cooperate and go into the correct spots.

Secondly, while some chords were easily managed, many were very painful. G, E and anything that required me to try to reach the G string, or to curve my wrist to reach anything. The curling of the wrist is where I had most of the pain.

Lets just say it was 15 minutes of futility.

I will be drinking away my sorrows tonight :ermm:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doesn't look like he is having any trouble. :whistling:

Attachments

• IMG_6458.JPG
    IMG_6458.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 231

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it looks like my wrist is just in a holding pattern regarding pain. Some days a bit worse, some a bit better, but generally not improving. Pain level is typically a "4" on a scale of 10. So clearly noticeable and bothersome. Some actions raise the pain level very quickly. But despite all that I've been picking up the Ukulele again, for short sessions. Typically 15 minutes a day.

And being the idiot that I am, I just bought (ordered) another ukulele.

Pepe Romero Creations "Tiny Tenor" model. It was designed by Uke player Daniel Ho in conjunction with Pepe Romero Jr and is made in Vietnam (not thrilled by that) using Hawaiian sourced wood. They make several variants of the Tiny Tenor model. On the lower end are the models with solid tops and plywood sides and back. On the higher end are the solid wood models. This is one of the solid wood models. Mine is the solid Mango wood. Its also available in solid Koa. Both the Mango and the Koa come from Hawaii. In between the higher end and the lower end they have a solid mahogany version.

The Tiny Tenor is the overall size of a Concert size Ukulele but with a Tenor length neck/fret count. The body shape is supposed to give the volume and tone of a Tenor size Uke. Reviews on the Tiny Tenors are very good, and this is clearly the best of the instruments I (will soon) own.

A tenor scale uke built to the body length of a concert; powerful, crisp tone in a small package. Designed by Pepe Romero Jr. with Daniel Ho. Handcrafted of all solid wood. 17 inch scale length with 14 frets to the body. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Abalone rosette and fret markers. Mother of pearl Daniel Ho logo. 16:1 geared tuners with ebony buttons. Gloss finish.

I am having mine restrung to "High G" because my other 2 Ukes are both strung to "High G." This was set up with "Low G" by the store, they are restringing it for free and will reset the action optimized for "High G" for me. Of course if I could actually play well enough to tell the difference that would mean a lot more to me but I wasn't going to turn down the free service :hammer:

YOUTUBE VIDEO of Pepe Romero describing the design of the Tiny Tenor and what was done to make a Concert size play like a Tenor size >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkcq-MkXxSc

YOUTUBE VIDEO of Daniel Ho with a Tiny Tenor >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDmd9V741as

Pictures below are the actual one I will be getting. I was really struck by the beauty of the Mango. Most spalted Mango has a lot of bold dark lines and this one has very fine lines. I think that is what sold me on this one. I've seen several other Mango Tiny Tenors but all had the more normal bold wood grain lines.

Attachments

• dscf1682_4.jpg
    dscf1682_4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 219
  • dscf1687_4.jpg
    dscf1687_4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 222
  • dscf1690_4.jpg
    dscf1690_4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 222
  • dscf1689_4.jpg
    dscf1689_4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 215
  • dscf1685_4.jpg
    dscf1685_4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 220
  • dscf1684_4.jpg
    dscf1684_4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 218
  • dscf1686_4.jpg
    dscf1686_4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 217
  • dscf1692_3.jpg
    dscf1692_3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 220
  • dscf1688_5.jpg
    dscf1688_5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 216

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need help with converting TABS from Guitar to Ukulele.

I found a song I want to learn but I can't find UKE tabs for the song. Found Guitar tabs.

But the chords seem odd to me. What is a G/D chord? And a A/D chord?

I'm totally clueless. Anyone offer any help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 5.06.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 5.06.10 PM.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 209

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wrist is feeling good today so I decided to see how much I've really forgotten/lost due to my injury.

Sad to say its quite a bit. But I also seemed to pick up the old lessons pretty quickly. Went back about 10 lessons from where I had left off and started from there. Did well enough replaying those to make me want to explore something I had never tried.

We have a Crate Acoustic 2 channel guitar amp that Melen used to use with her electric violin. Pulled it out, hooked up to the Lanikai Uke, which has a built in pre-amp and 1/4" cable jack. Turned on the pre-amp on the Uke. Turned on the Crate amp. Nothing. :neutral: No sound was coming from the Amp. Its been in the garage and the basement and I wondered if it was broken. Started playing around by swapping the cords around, etc. Still nothing. Plugged the cord from the Uke to Melen's pre-Amp, and then the pre-Amp to the Crate amp. Still nothing.

BUT THEN I turned "off" the pre-Amp that is built into the Ukulele and the sound started coming out of the Crate's speaker :clap:

Did a lot of playing around, tried it with and without the pre-Amp, but the pre-Amp has lots of controls and effects (that I am clueless about) but are fun to play with and can be used to scare the dogs :whistling:

I have a LOT of work to do to learn how to play something more complex than Happy Birthday, Hokey Pokey or Itsy Bitsy Spider ... but today was fun. More fun than I've had in quite a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 212

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Clearly still in review and re-learn mode but my wrist is feeling well enough to allow me back to daily practice sessions. Roughly 20 - 30 minutes daily. I'm happy with my progress. Even though I learned all this stuff a couple months ago I simply forgot it but relearning it is coming back fast.

The chords, which seemed so foreign, and which my fingers forgot, take only a couple quick practices to feel natural. Funny thing is that they didn't feel natural the first time. So maybe there is a (small) silver lining in my injury and the time away from practice it has caused?

The video lessons that I'm following teach simple 2 chord songs. Then, with the same song, teaches it in different chords. For example, Itsy Bitsy Spider in C/G. Then a lesson or two later, in F/C.

Far less frustrated and far happier with my finger placement, chord changes, etc.

Wrist pain is still a problem. But I'm able to manage well enough :smile: