• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNOW TRAC Opinions Needed: Grey Floor or Black Floor in Snow Trac?

Should the floor be LIGHT GREY or BLACK?

• Spray the floor Light Grey!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Stick with the orignal color, spray the floor Black!

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK guy I was all set to spray in a light grey floor into the Snow Trac. The spray I will be using is very similar to RHINO-LINER or LINE-X. It is a 2 part epoxy, so once it is sprayed in, it cannot come out!

Here is a photo of what it looks like with a black floor. The black floor shows lots of mud & dirt. I think the grey floor may show less mud? The stock floor is a simple rubber mat over plywood. My goal is to better protect the plywood floor. The 2 part epoxy floor provides a waterproof barrier that is also non-slip.

So what do you think, black or light grey?

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 679

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Opinions Needed: Grey Floor or Black Floor in Snow Trac?

Get a mud sample and match that for color..............:rofl:

BTW........mud color would match you sun roof cover.........:whistle:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Big Dog, I noticed you did not vote. As for the mud, it is mostly clay type mud here, so it would be tan. Light tan. Now go back and vote!

As for the sun roof, it is actually a moderately tinted sun roof, it looks bad in the photo (and in real life is not great) but the photo is pretty misleading.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
Big Dog, I noticed you did not vote. As for the mud, it is mostly clay type mud here, so it would be tan. Light tan. Now go back and vote!

As for the sun roof, it is actually a moderately tinted sun roof, it looks bad in the photo (and in real life is not great) but the photo is pretty misleading.

I didn't vote cause you limited my selection! If you insist I vote on the lesser of two evils I will, I await your reply..........:mad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I insist. There are only 2 choices. Republican or Democrat. Now go vote and don't ask me which is which.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Done, I voted black contributing to your misery!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
black or light grey?

Light gray. Just make sure it is a material where you can buy touch-up quantities.

You will be driving that thing in either extreme glare or murky blizzard. With your eyes adjusted for that, when you look down a black floor would look like a bottomless cave.

I suggest match the dashboard, seat pan, and floor.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

I now always stay with original colors when doing restorations. I've found that whenever anything is professionally appraised (or even sold, heavens forbid!) it is worth more money when colors are mostly original. Besides, all of my vehicle, gun, and property investments have gone up. I'd prefer to not talk about any stock market investments...:toilet:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Dargo said:
I now always stay with original colors when doing restorations. I've found that whenever anything is professionally appraised (or even sold, heavens forbid!) it is worth more money when colors are mostly original.

Now I will totally agree with you on that concept but here is ZERO collectors value for these things. There is plenty of demand for Snow Tracs but it does not seem to be necessary that they be anything close to 'original' in any way shape or form. What seems to determine their value is their mechanical condition and their overall condition. People who own the surviving units own them for the purpose of using them so they want operating doors, windows, engines, tracks, but are not overly concerned about colors. At least not from what I can see.

Also, as these are used as personal transportation in some remote areas, they are often altered/enhanced to meet the requirements of the family.

I can honestly tell you that I don't know which color I will spray the floor. I was all set to go light grey. The lovely Mrs_B suggested I stay with black. The upholstry will be mostly black. So I began to have some serious second thougths as to the color.

Heck, I may just mix light grey and black and spray it dark grey! :eek: It would certainly be much closer to original than light grey, it would look better with the upholstry, but it would show the mud more than light grey would.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
Heck, I may just mix light grey and black and spray it dark grey! :eek: It would certainly be much closer to original than light grey, it would look better with the upholstry, but it would show the mud more than light grey would.

I really like that idea!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks for your help, I decided what to do.

I am NOT spraying it light grey.
I am NOT spraying it black.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before posting this poll, but I will be mixing light grey and black and making a medium to dark grey. Using a mix will make it much harder to do a 'color match' repair should I ever damage the floor, but as tough as 2-part epoxy is, I don't see that the floor will be easy to damage. And any serious damage would require pulling out the entire plywood floor and replacing it, so color match would not be an issue then.

I think the medium-to-dark grey will get me closer to a factory look, and it will also not show mud and dirt as much as a pure black.

DAP

Bob ... your original post with photos of the Sno Trac is kaput. That is, the photo seemed to have been electronically misplaced.

I believe I had a Matchbox version of the Sno Trac when I was a kid ... man, that is right up there with Von's MOGS!

:eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

DAP, hit your 'reload page' button on your browser. The picture shows up on my page when I scroll up to the top. It might have just been a glitch when the page loaded?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Oops. You're right, they are gone. Lots of them.

I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

They're probably on e-Bay.................:yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

YOU SUCK!!!

Go ahead, kick me when I'm down. :poke:

Heck I thought we were friends. Now I think I better rush home and check my closet to see if my Hawaiian shirts have vanished and have been listed on eBay too.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Too Funny, what's your size and I'll check e-Bay for the shirts....:a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK just an update. The floor now has a medium grey marine waterproof carpet.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
OK just an update. The floor now has a medium grey marine waterproof carpet.

I thought you were going with Lime Green shag and lace curtains?!!? :pat::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No Dave, that is reserved for the kitchen. But the upholstry for the Snow Trac seats will be black Hawaiian barkcloth (the genuine stuff they make shirts out of) with pink flamingos and green & brown palm trees.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I still wanna know how the mechanicals of that thing work! Tracks with a steering wheel? C'mon throw me a bone, here. :confused:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is actually another thread that shows photos, it also shows a photo of the variator belt that controls the tracks.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just been up into my field on a cold Welsh night with a torch (10.00pm, my time to check on the colouring of the floor of my snow trac and find that it appears to have two layers of muddy rubber matting over what appears to be a muddy plywood floor with no colour applied. The things people do for snow tracs!! The colour of the rubber matting appears to be a dark grey, but it was rather difficult to judge by torchlight and covered in mud. Don't think that is of much help, but might be of interest.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Greetings Ice Queen!:wave: :tiphat: Glad you posted. The plywood floor in my Snow Master is also plain. No paint or color of any type. The rubber matt is black or was black but has faded and is impregnated with dirt. Which would make it look grey by flashlight at night (or torch as the english call them). I was actually able to clean as spot a few times and can see indeed it can be black again. I will attempt to clean mine when the weather gets better. For now I am staying inside near my fireplace and on my computer!

Ice Queen :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic of you Snow Trac please.:D