• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Report Your Snow Depth

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The "Slope" is way too far north, and the Brooks Range, that runs East to West effectively blocks out weather from that pattern. However, Flights in and out of Anchorage have been all fouled up ever since it started errupting. Just yesterday a flight to Prudhoe, was diverted to Fairbanks, not making it to the slope, and the passengers had to be bussed back to Anchorage. We normally have (4) BP/Shared Services flights a day. But after a day of not being able to fly, we had 8 flights to catch up on the personel changes.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Today we had an upslope snow storm develop over our mountain home area and received another foot of snow. We took a short snowmobile ride late today and enjoyed the setting sun as the storm ended. The first three pics are our backyard area and the last two pics are our front yard today. It will be quite a while before I will not need to get the lawn mower out at our home. We will not see the grass most likely until about June 1st this year........:biggrin:

Here are a few pics from today.
P4010009 (Medium).JPG

P4010012 (Medium).JPG

P4010018 (Medium).JPG

P4010022 (Medium).JPG

P4010023 (Medium).JPG

teledawg

Still have over 8 feet here in the front yard:

Attachments

• IMG_2368 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2368 (Medium).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2352 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2352 (Medium).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 414

teledawg

Teledawg have any video of driving through that 8'? Incredible view. What mountain range is that? Altitude?

There is a video in my Photo Gallery taken last year:

http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/showphoto.php?photo=1693&cat=588

The Trac-Master can't really tell that there is 8' of snow. It only sinks in 6 or 8 inches no matter how deep it is. It is better running when it is deep becasue all the boulders are covered up!

These were taken at 4000' in the Talkeetna Moutains about 20 miles North-West of Palmer, Alaska. This is the highest private year around occupied place in Alaska. :clap: We are at the same elevation as some nearby glaciers. Keep in mind that in Alaska, the year-around snowline is at 8000' and treeline is at about 2500'.

Here's our snowpack as of April 2nd: 11.5 feet, a little bit above normal (after driest february in history, we caught up in march). Early season photo is for reference.

Attachments

• 151_5110.jpg
    151_5110.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 140_4046.jpg
    140_4046.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 365

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I was ready to put the snow cats, snowmachines and snow shoes away until I checked our local weather forecast for our area today. The past few days have been warm with the snow melting quickly leaving rivers and lakes where there should be none. We are driving ATV's in the morning over the frozen snow before it thaws out for the day and then sitting on the deck in the afternoon sun sipping the first part of 'beer on deck season". The snow in the afternoon is too soft for the ATVs and too wet/slushy even for the snowmobile at our elevation of 8450 foot in the Big Horn Mtns.

And then I find the following forecast for the rest of the week: :clap:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RIVERTON WY
154 PM MDT MON APR 13 2009

THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS AND THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF JOHNSON COUNTY ALSO STAND A CHANCE OF RECEIVING LARGE AMOUNTS OF SNOW. RIGHT NOW THERE APPEARS TO BE THE POTENTIAL FOR 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOWFALL AT THE ABOVE MENTIONED LOWER ELEVATIONS WITH UP TO 3 TO 4 FEET OF SNOWFALL IN THE MOUNTAINS. :ermm:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...Buffalo+WY&product1=Special+Weather+Statement

It is time to change oil in the generator as the grid power will be lost most likely for several days if we get that much wet snow in the lower elevations and on the mountain. Tomorrow I will prepare by moving the snow cats and other snow vehicles to safe areas where trees cannot fall from the wet heavy snow on them as often can happen when these late storms hit us.

And I thought spring was here....................:whistling:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snow is BACK!

The Caribou left,.. The Ducks & Geese left,... and it's been Snowing all day! What could this mean? Am I missing something here? Do they know something I don't know? Time to Wax up the skiis and tune up the Tucker? I don't remember them leaving this early? what's up? Is the Slope about to get hit by a commet?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Snow is BACK!

The Caribou left,.. The Ducks & Geese left,... and it's been Snowing all day! What could this mean? Am I missing something here? Do they know something I don't know? Time to Wax up the skiis and tune up the Tucker? I don't remember them leaving this early? what's up? Is the Slope about to get hit by a commet?

It seems like it is going to be an early winter this year. I need to get my snow plow mounted and working soon!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No frost here yet. But I swear I saw a few snowflakes in the air last thursday. We had our annual steak BBQ last thursday out at the clubhouse for all the snowclub volunteers and the wind was coming in straight out of the north. We set up the big charcoal BBQ in the groomer garage to keep out of the wind.

It's getting close though. I can feel it in my bones.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the geese haven't started moving here, but the butterflies have moved a couple hundred miles south - about a month early.
the past few days we've had lows in the 40's-low 50's and highs around 70-72, which is pretty normal for late October... oh, wait! It's still August!

darn that global warming!

On the other plus side, it was perfect weather for putting up a dark colored steel roof this weekend.

moosebgy

A little fresh snow on the tops of the mountains here. We usually get our first good snows around Halloween so not much longer.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Our forecast calls for snow for the next couple days. I am not ready for snow and my snow cats are not ready either.............

The snow will be short lived and melt away in a couple days but it is expected at this time of the year in the Big Horn Mtns of WY where we live..................

NWS Riverton, WY
Point Forecast: 20 Miles SW Buffalo WY
44.13°N 106.97°W (Elev. 8249 ft)

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
242 AM MDT SUN SEP 20 2009

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTHWARD ACROSS CENTRAL WYOMING TONIGHT. MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT AND UPSLOPE FLOW BEHIND THE FRONT WILL BRING MEASURABLE RAIN AND SNOW TO AREAS EAST OF THE DIVIDE TONIGHT. SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL TO AROUND 6500 FEET LATE TONIGHT. 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED IN THE BIGHORN MOUNTAINS AND 1 TO 2 INCHES ON CASPER MOUNTAIN.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

UPSLOPE FLOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY MORNINGIN EASTERN PORTIONS OF CENTRAL WYOMING WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES OF TOTAL SNOWFALL POSSIBLE IN THE BIGHORNS AND 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE ON CASPER MOUNTAIN.

utahwilson

Received a foot of the white stuff at our place in Utah over the last 24 hours. It will be melted by this weekend, however its a start.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep it out west! We are hoping to get one more cutting of alfalfa before it snows around here. Just checked and they are calling for flurries and 32 tonight and possibly in the 20's tomorrow night. Dang, I am not ready for winter yet!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here at the Northern edge of the Arctic Ocean in Northern Alaska, we have about eight inches....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's snowing here. Nothing on the ground yet. I was in shorts outside last weekend at +25 C and now it's -2 and snowing. Talk about a complete 180 on the weather.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper--is the tucker staying in the neighborhood??:clap:

The Tucker is headed to Gillette tomorrow to the new owner. He has a cabin/home in Powder River Estates and will use it to commute the 14 miles in the winter so yes it will stay in the neighborhood. He bought it before I was able to complete my plans for it. He is a mechanic and will finish it up and save. It has a 350 Chev V8 and a GM Auto trans. :biggrin:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We have our first major storm of the year going strong. At least 12 inches of new snow since yesterday afternoon and still snowing at 8500 foot in the Big Horn Mtns..... We have been without grid power most of the night. I may have to actually plow the road to the highway if the wind picks up.... I followed the wife out with the Rhino to make sure she would make the state highway early this am......:winterrul:letitsnow:
144711281_0012_0000000000000000_Snapshots.jpg
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
350 AM MDT MON OCT 5 2009

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE TODAY. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON THE EAST FACING SLOPES OF THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS. HIGHWAY 16 ON POWDER RIVER PASS AND HIGHWAY 14 ON GRANITE PASS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME SLICK AND SNOW COVERED.