• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Report Your Snow Depth

weatherby

These pics. were taken 1-21-08 we have aprox. 30" I know those are not snocats in the pictures but thats the closest I have right now to a snowcat that runs on the snow. We had allot of lake effect snow off of lake Superior that day:thumb:

Attachments

• Cnv0048.jpg
    Cnv0048.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Cnv0049.jpg
    Cnv0049.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 251

mtmogs

Today we hit 60"! We're only @ 3100' elevation but have been getting hammered by one storm after another. There's 120" at 6000 feet. Had to actually dig down to unearth the satellite dish. Can't be snowbound with no TV. Finished repairing cleats on the snow trac tonight. I also made some snow deflectors out of scrap polyethylene sheet I had laying around. I figure since they make snowmobile skis and plow blades out of the stuff they should shed snow pretty well. I'll get to play tomorrow after I'm done moving snow (again).

Attachments

• RIMG0027.JPG
    RIMG0027.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 247

Snowcat Pat

2/3/08, 8 (eight) feet on the stake here at the house at 4350 feet elevation. Waist deep powder. Rope tow set up right outside the door! We are planning a trip to the high peaks after the avy settles down.
-Pat

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Still no snow 'they' were wrong. Still bloody raining though and blowing a gale - where is my snow?

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
We are getting buried here! We have about 7' of snow on the ground at my father-in-laws cabin. We spent super bowl sunday digging a ramp with the tractor just to get #447 over the burm created from plowing the driveway to the deep snow. It was her maiden voyage in deep snow. If you steeped off it was up to your chest.....SHE DID GREAT! I was very surprised how well it handled the deep snow with no base. I cant wait to get my trac master torn down and up and running this spring!
Here is how deep the snow is at the house.
Followed by us busting through the burm and then just playing around.
Here is a link to a short video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMj09ZCRqc&feature=RecentlyWatched&page=1&t=t&f=b

Attachments

• 447 074.jpg
    447 074.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 192
  • 447 054.jpg
    447 054.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 447 058.jpg
    447 058.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 447 055.jpg
    447 055.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 447 060.jpg
    447 060.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 447 059.jpg
    447 059.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 190

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Couldnt help posting a few more...........man we had fun!

Attachments

• 447 065.jpg
    447 065.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 447 062.jpg
    447 062.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 447 066.jpg
    447 066.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 447 061.jpg
    447 061.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 447 057.jpg
    447 057.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 447 056.jpg
    447 056.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 194

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like fun. Lots of snow to play in.

Still haven't seen any pictures of Kristi's runing in snow like that. I'm starting to think they can't handle anything more than a couple inches thick.

Keep the pictures coming!

mtmogs

Awesome pics and vid Couchloafer! Great looking ST4 as well. I too had some concerns about the performance of the ST4 in deep snow, and thought I might have to scout out an ST4B for flotation. My experience has been the same as yours though. No matter how deep the snow, powder or otherwise, she sinks no more than a foot, and leaves a walkable, packed trail behind. Thanks again for the great pics and vid.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks and your welcome Paul!
BTW it only looks good from a distance but I will continue to work on it.

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
I spent the weekend at our cabin it is about 35mi south of Steamboat Springs Co. on the beaver flat tops there is 5' of snow on the flat with another 1 1/2 to 2' of power on top I will try to post pic of the cabin snow and cat

Attachments

• snow cat 010.jpg
    snow cat 010.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 409
  • snow cat 012.jpg
    snow cat 012.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 403
  • snow cat 013.jpg
    snow cat 013.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 398
  • snow cat 014.jpg
    snow cat 014.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 400
  • snow cat 015.jpg
    snow cat 015.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 400

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like a really nice spot, Shovani ! Better shovel your trailer roof !
I don't need a ladder to reach my trailer roof any more !

Here in New Hampshire we are on the way to a record breaking year.

So far in Febuary, we have already had the average snow fall and are expecting another foot tomorrow.

I spent 30 hours moving snow last week. My narrow road into my woodlot is almost impossible to plow. If it wasn't for my little snowcats, it would be impossible now and the sheet of ice under the snow just adds to the fun :17875:

Not much point in giving a measurement because it has rained and melted once already, but the picnic table has disappeared :yum:

srexecmark

The Weather Service just announced that theWashington Cascades now have 139% of normal and another 11" predicted for tonight. e have had terrible avalanche conditions with a rare one going through a neighbors house and depositing 30' of snow on it!

mtmogs

We are not quite at record levels, but like others, been quite busy with keeping the snow out of the way. All this snow and no time for snowcatting! We had about 65" before it started raining on Saturday. It's been above freezing since and hope to tell you that it's a real mess. Not used to having spring break-up in February!

Anyway, posted a short youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYku0xoAmh4) of moving snow with the homemade ASV Posi-track and Unimog snowblowers for any interested. Gary Lemke, former CEO of ASV, was once a US importer of Snow Trac's. I'll have to get better video of the business end of the unimog blower. My wife and videographer got spooked when it ate a small boulder and sent debris and sparks flying. Must clean up better before the snow flies!

Snowcat Pat

2/26/08 A warm up typical of north Idaho... temps 25 to 35 deg/f each day for about a week, snow depth down to six feet on the stake at 4350 ft. Getting flurries 1 to 5 inches each snowfall but not the huge dumps we were getting 16 days in a row.

Been here ten years and 01/02 is the only other year we saw eight feet on the stake.

Gave up plowing the one mile driveway a while ago, it's a waste of time and fuel.

Still lots of powder up at 6500 ft. Tiger Peak.

-Pat

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Just got a 11 inch dump here.. for a grand total of approximately 3 feet of snow here.
Sadly, this is the first year in 3 or 4 that we have had significant snowfall that stays.

When I was more of a little kid I remember every year having about 1.5 times as much as we have lately. The snowmobiliers are enjoying it very much.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the neighbors six foot fence finally showing itself again........

Attachments

• 447 098.jpg
    447 098.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 447 099.jpg
    447 099.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 284

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is NOT fair, we haven't even had as much as a single snowflake here in Wales, UK. My snowtrac is unloaded and sitting, covered in dust from The Great Dorset Steam Fair and not a snowflake in sight.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is NOT fair, we haven't even had as much as a single snowflake here in Wales, UK. My snowtrac is unloaded and sitting, covered in dust from The Great Dorset Steam Fair and not a snowflake in sight.

Well northern Indiana has had near record snows and colder than average temperatures this winter. We have 6" of snow on the ground right now, but I doubt it will last much longer, we are at the very end of our season here. We've got some potential snow coming our way Friday/Saturday, but it could very well come down as rain. Sunday we are expecting rain, but temps should drop again Monday and snow is forecast again. March tends to throw us weird weather and the forecasts for the upcoming week vary from low-20's to mid-40's (F) so we are bound to lose most of the remaining snow we have in the next 7 to 10 days.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're still sitting at 3-4ft of snow on the level here in Canada. Where I live, the snow's usually gone by the end of march, early april.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we got 2 fresh inches of snow last night, woke up this morning to a sloppy commute. The farther north (toward Lake Michigan) I drove the less fresh snow I saw. Still, 2 inches dropped on us at the end of February is pretty unusual so I was happy to see it. By noon things changed. The sun came out and the temps climbed into the mid-upper 30s (F) so the snow really started melting. I think we not only lost the brand new layer of snow we just got, but probably lost another inch or two of what is left of our base.

Looking at the forecast for the next few days, they changed the projected snow to rain, so I expect our season is going to end in less than a week :snow2_smi:

:xmas: Santa, please bring me snow :snow_smi:

Crappy camera-phone picture of my yard. . . taken just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• 200888050053_0_0.jpg
    200888050053_0_0.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 245

Snowcat Pat

3/21/08, 4350 feet elevation, 6-1/2 feet snowpack, temps 25 F to 40 F snowing 2 to five inches each day with sun and snow showers. Deep powder on the 6500 foot peak.
-Pat

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
That would explain why one of our sites in your neck of the woods went down again! Will be headed into Upper Idaho in a few weeks. Maybe Snowcat Pat and Couchloafer can meet us somewhere around Wolf Lodge? Man what a perfect steak they make! Maybe even do a bit of a snowcat run?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bskurka.......how much total snow did you guys get this winter? I'm about a 16 hr drive north of you and we're sitting with between 3-4 ft of snow on the level.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well once again there is talk and rumors of this thing called spring, it's kind of a myth up here. It's still 20 to 40 below. We have a brand new Troper, out crusing the lines that the pipeline insulation crew is renting. I just found out that it bears the name of the manufacturer that took over Bombardiere, Comoplast? Spring here is usually in the last week of July! The parking lot at my office has a 5 acre extension... it's 10 to 15 feet deep compacted snow that was cleared off the pad by a dozer. I can pull a "u turn" in my crew cab ford truck out over a place that is usually open tundra in the brief summer and fall. No spring here! I'm still wearing "boot chains" a type of safety traction device required by "BP safety". I'll see about getting some pictures. All the Ice Roads including the Sea Ice Road to North Star, about 8 miles out to Sea are still open to heavy loads.