• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Motor

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We will ignore the fact it is a rubber track for the unique cool exemption and really it is one giant pontoon fit for a princess's magical powers to resurrect. Looking forward to seeing the project and history.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
for looking like an extra in "an indiana jones movie" my rough calculations show a really low ground pressure. Almost to the point that I wonder if it has enough grouser to actually dig in and have traction. using Van for dimension scale, and guessing on weights, I'm coming up with 0.45 psi. do you know what it really weighs?

CT

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Weighs 5100 # Comes out to about .86psi. Remember there are three kinds of people, those who can do math and those who can't.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, I over estimated the track and under estimated the weight. I guessed 4700 and 26" track width. what I get for guestimating from a photo: Wrong answer.

CT

Blotto

I think this vehicle has missed it's calling as a crowd control musher.
Just the thing to clear out those ANTIFA protesters ;)

sledhaus

Aside from the single track version of which only two are believed built (not including original prototype), historical accounts show likely only two of this two-man cab version built. This is likely one of the two shown in the photo at Camp Hale Trials. Army opted for four-man cab version. Four of them are known to exist. This version was tested at Presque Ise, ME and Aberdeen Proving grounds. Too heavy and too large a turning radius cited. Iron Fireman factory burned near end of WWII and all records were lost. Military records state only 36 produced and referred to both Two-man and 4 -man can versions as the T36. I saw this machine on John's shelf ten years ago and noted the data plate. My guess it was re-branded for sale to Forest Service as T36 was military contract designation and may have been built for USDA and used for Army evaluation but not delivered as a T36. Original Iron Fireman promo photo identifies this exact machine as a T36. Lots of unanswered questions.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the first photo is of one of the early style with the single track, photographed at Timberline, Mt Hood, Oregon.

the last photo is of a 1941 snow motor with a ford, flathead 6 cylinder, USFS was first owner and was used on Mt Hood, Oregon, Timberline to be exact, it is in original condition with it's original rubber tracks.

Iron Fireman Company was located in Portland, Oregon, on harbor drive.

I believe there were somewhere around 125 or so, of snow motors built, Union Pacific/Sun Valley, owned one of the first machines, it is now at a museum out of Salt Lake City, Utah

Attachments

• 80296.jpg
    80296.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:

sledhaus

QUOTE][I believe there were somewhere around 125 or so, of snow motors built, Union Pacific/Sun Valley, owned one of the first machines, it is now at a museum out of Salt Lake City, Utah/QUOTE]

I've seen the single track in Cedar City, UT and I tried to make a deal with John on the twin track 10 years ago. I researched these machines quite a bit and have photos of all four 4-man cab machines known to exist. I found no evidence of more than 36 being produced which is from Army procurement records. That in addition to two or possibly three Forest Service machines and the original prototype. I am very curious where the 125 figure comes from. The 1941 would have come with a Chrysler flathead as did its predecessors and the machines that followed. The previous owner before John swapped it out with the Ford engine so I was told by his son.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
QUOTE][I believe there were somewhere around 125 or so, of snow motors built, Union Pacific/Sun Valley, owned one of the first machines, it is now at a museum out of Salt Lake City, Utah/QUOTE]

I've seen the single track in Cedar City, UT and I tried to make a deal with John on the twin track 10 years ago. I researched these machines quite a bit and have photos of all four 4-man cab machines known to exist. I found no evidence of more than 36 being produced which is from Army procurement records. That in addition to two or possibly three Forest Service machines and the original prototype. I am very curious where the 125 figure comes from. The 1941 would have come with a Chrysler flathead as did its predecessors and the machines that followed. The previous owner before John swapped it out with the Ford engine so I was told by his son.

the Ford engine in the snow motor is Original to the machine and has not been changed out, everything about the engine install shows that it has never been out of the machine, only takes a couple of minutes to see it is original and untouched.

the first early ones did have chrysler 6's and later ones were offered with both Ford and Chrysler engines, one good source for info is the "two track rigid machine" web site, and it shows other sources for additional info. and if you are up for a challenge, will pay $1,000.0 if you can prove the engine has been changed from the Chrysler to Ford engine, fyi, sources show these machines were built up to 1950, for a total of 16 years.

Last edited:

sledhaus

I'm just telling you what a former owner's son told me. That his dad swapped the Chrysler engine with the Ford. I guess he must have lied to me. If the assumption that production went to 1950 is based on the photo on the Unusual Locomotion website I think that is a stretch. The photo caption likely means it was taken in 1950 while the machine was still in service with the Forest Service. The single track machine in Utah was owned by the family who had the concession contract at Sun Valley and when retired it went to their ranch by Cedar City and hauled hay to starving cattle after the 1948 blizzard. So machines built in the early 40s were still being operated in the 50s. I have video of that machine operating. I have Crismon's book and because it contains other inconsistencies I consider it a very good reference but not a stone tablet. I found no evidence that production continued after the Portland factory burned down in 1944. A year ago you were asking me for Tucker Patents and information on these machines. Now information gathered over ten years that I was offering to share is dismissed. I mistakenly thought it might be helpful or appreciated. Signing off on this one.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thank you for your info, the ford engine is original to the machine and it was built in '41 and happy to share the info on the machines i have,

we were told the same story and could find no support for the claim that it was changed out. it is so common for these verbal histories to get away from the facts, no one lied, just retold a story without the facts to support it, and i agree that many times a date of a photo is used to say that something was built much later than it was really constructed.

thanks again for the info

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1960&context=etd

Page 112 in PDF (105 in actual doc). More lies we must assume.

i have a copy of this one, and found it to be somewhat bias, given, Utah State was directly involved with the Frandee, no lies, just bias

there are numerous omissions and simple mistakes, though it is an good source of info if you use some common sense.

you should read the soil conservation review of the 1950 snow cat tests that was conducted in sun valley, it has a much different view of the machines than what the 1955 Utah State paper has, all very interesting to read.

all the period information is good to see and read, it expands our understanding of the history and stories of these machines

thanks again

nikos

http://locomotion102.rssing.com/chan-7087029/all_p1.html

SEMI-TRACKED & WHEEL-CUM-TRACK VEHICLES, Rotaped, Panhard AVXL, Semi-tracks Herbst,Yeti track assembly,BM Bolinder Munktel, Difco of ballintubber. Citroën, autochenilles,Kégresse, Vork, GAZ, NATI, Allis Chalmer, Dodge, Terra-Gator, Fordson, GAZ, Leader Model 25-40 semi-tracked conversion,Bates half tracks, Allis Chalmers Snow Tractor, BVSM-80, Hadfield-Penfield tracks, Ford-Marmon, Ikegai, Linn, Model A Tudor Sedan, Hovertrack, Tatra, Waldslepper, ZIS,snow tractor,CALH half-track,Hadfield-Penfield,Iron Dog Early,Snowmobile,Waldschlepper,Ikegai Type-98 Ko-Hi ,Tatra T-25 semi-tracked,Marmon Herrington-T9,Half-track truck T8, 1936,Chevrolet Truck, 1927,Wolselay-Vickers,Daf half tracks,Mechanical Coffin,Kimpex tracked device,Terra-Gator 2114,Dodge WC 51half track, Allis-Chalmers Tractor Truck,MAN 4R3 semi-tracked, Rotaped Half-Track on Renault,Siloe Research,Half-Track H. Okada, Panhard AVXL, Van den Berg BV Track Truck,Hovertrack,KGBM Prototype, Leamington half-track ,Matisa Universal Tracked and Wheeled Vehicle,ARPS Semi-Tracks,Astra BM 309, 6x6 and tracks,BM Volvo 400 Buster,Deserter Buggy,Driv Half-Tracks,Fordson E27N Major on Rodless Half-Tracks,Half-track prototypes for Kubelwagen, Mercedes 26.29 AK 6x6 and tracks,Mercedes-Benz L4500R,Orchard Allis Chalmers Model B on experimental Roadless tracks,Quad 6x6 semi-tracked John Deere with Omnitrac Tracks,Renault GBH 280, 6x6 and tracks,Roadless tracks,Scammell SV2S tractor,Semi-track proto Jeep,Sergent Half-tracks,Smart Half-track, Tatra T 24,Terberg 6x6 and tracks,Truck, 4x4 and tracks,Trutrax System,Vervaert Track Trike,Wolseley,Vickers wheel-cum-track,Austro-Daimler ADMK-WARK,Caterpillar Ecolog 650,Citroën Semi-Tracked,DG4 Tracks of Roadless,Kegresse P112, Miskin Motoscraper,Snow-Tractor M7, Allis Chalmers,Unic P 107 semi-tracked,Alfa-Romeo 800RE,Centipede Phoenix, 1914,Concrete block transporter Krinner,DG Tracks on Massey Harris 744,GAZ 41,Half-track Citroën,Lombard Log Hauler, 1901,Nova snowmobile,Semi tracked Citroën P 17 of Croisière Blanche,Skeleton DG4 Roadless County, Snow Tractor of Ted Flynn,The Centipede track,Valmet-911,Allgeier R 18 with Hülle tracks,Big Bear 661,BM-Volvo SM 360 Nalle,BVSM-80 N° 1,County timber tractor ,Ford 4000 and Jones Highlands half-tracks,Garrett peat tractor,Half-Track ATV-3 with pneumatic tracks,Half-track truck of Iguana Technology,Half-Tracked Ford truck,Hovertrack,IFA 40 PS Tractor and half track from DDR,John Deere 1070D ,Lanz Bulldog,Linn C5 wheel-cum-track chassis,Madawaska CO. Tractor,Maultier (Mule) ,Moto Guzzi Mulo Meccanico 3x3,Oanes Carrier,Panhard VBL XL,Ritscher high clearance half track,Ritscher tractor with half-track,Ritscher with Anbau Half Track,Scammel ,Semi tracked Hulle on Deutz Tractor,Tatra T71 half-track,TROM 8 ,Truck, Half-Track, T9E1 Ford,Type T Christie crawler on Mack Model AB DR,Vevey 560 with half-track, ZIS-33,Gaz69-33 NAMI,CAT 988 Track Loader,Ford Snowmobile,Half track from C60 Chevrolet,Grecav Tracks,Fordson-Roadless Tractor,Half-traks of Croisière Jaune,Semi-tracked toy,Tritrac and Combitrac small forest machines

Nikos

Attachments

• snow-tractor-of-ted-flynn-1938.jpg
    snow-tractor-of-ted-flynn-1938.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 472

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like the Iron Fireman co. of Portland, Oregon, had 2 locations in Portland, one was on Harbor Drive, river front of downtown and another out on SE 17 th Ave, looks like the company was in business through 1955 and could very have built Snow Motors in 1950, I do several other sources of info I need to do further research.

Last edited:

sledhaus

Iron Fireman T36110.jpg

The attached Iron Fireman Co. promotional photo supplied to the US Department of Ordinance does support the Ford engine installation as the spark plug spacing and wiring conduit are clearly Ford as opposed to Dodge.

The Iron Fireman Co. was in business from 1923 until 2011 manufacturing all types of coal-fired boilers and later oil-fired heating equipment. They started in Portland but also built factories in Cleveland and Toronto and during World War 2 built Liberty Ship Engines among many other wartime items. Two of the Portland factories burned down in 1944 and 1945 so manufacturing operations were moved to Cleveland. Practically anyone who had manufactured an over-snow vehicle by 1943 presented it to the Army for testing at Camp Hale, Colorado. Photos show two Iron Fireman twin track, two man cab machines there. Some references say there were three at the Camp Hale Trials. The Army wanted to carry more troops so the three-man cab T36 was developed and procurement records state 36 were ordered. But the Weasel was chosen as the primary Army over-snow vehicle and reportedly over 15,000 Weasels eventually were produced. I know of no evidence that indicates production after 1945 and all records were lost in the fires. Forest Service archives may be the only source for early production information, since they did hold the patent for the two-man cab machine.

Although some publications have referred to the T36 as a Snow Motor, that is erroneous. As the promo photo shows the machine was called the "Snow Cruiser" by the manufacturer.

Just as it is erroneous to call the Armstead Snow Motor kit for the F Model Fordson a "Snow Devil". The machine used in Truckee, CA that now resides in the Hendrick Ag Museum is said to have been called that by locals of the time. No where else in history was it ever called that until the Internet arrived. Just like claims that it is Henry Ford himself driving it in the 1926 promotional film. Ford Motor Co. had nothing to do with the conversion other than to manufacture the tractors they were used on. Even the three machines sent to Alaska to support the Wilkes/Eielson flight over the North Pole were not sponsored by Ford Motor Co..

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
That thing looks downright lethal! Imagine having that chasing you?

Interesting truck bed. If you aren't good at backing up square to something, just get close and swivel the bed. Clever!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that we have seen kristis running in the wild on to this mythological creature?

Allegedly

What is the motion situation where the car sits still and the actors have fans blowing in their faces......???

Kristy under its own power: I have seen it, I have driven one, I am 6'1" tall....

Two truths and a lie.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It seems that Timberline Lodge and Mt Hood Oregon is the land of snow machines. The Snow Cruiser/ Snow Motor was designed and first used there. Early Tuckers sharpened their claws there too. Photo probably from late 1940's.

Attachments

• Snow motor and 423 Timberline.jpg
    Snow motor and 423 Timberline.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 280