• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First trip in the imp

cabinboy

Here are a few pictures of the first trip to the cabin with the Imp.http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/att...ent.php?attachmentid=31097&stc=1&d=1230654408 Kind of wished the little imp would have had some more power, LIKE @ 150HP. The elev. at the cabin is @8300 ft and the imp was powering out in the deep snow, alittle carb. adj. and she was working better. This was my first trip in a snowcat in fluffy snow and it felt like to me that the imp was[ swimming ? ] kind of weird feeling in the deep powder, but she kept going. Will try to get some action pictures later still testing this cat out.

'

Attachments

• First trip with snowcat 005 (2).JPG
    First trip with snowcat 005 (2).JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 243
  • First trip with snowcat 006-2.JPG
    First trip with snowcat 006-2.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 233

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Is this a Super imp? My super Imp has no power issues. Yes everything can use more power but carrying 1500 lbs of gear plus two adults and 40 gallons of spare fuel. We never needed more power. I would do a compession check on the 200. As far as swimming not sure what you mean. Now my Super Imp was always loaded down so this may have prevented a swimming feeling. BUT it too kept chugging along.

cabinboy

Thanks , Redrocker it took me hours to get the pictures sized right to post. Really the first pictures I have posted from pictures that I have taken . Snowcat ops maybe I should have gotten your imp, I still like the seats you put in the imp [leather heated highbacks] .I will have to get a compression tester gage and check. Yes it is a super imp.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
There are several companies that make high performance upgrades. Clifford performance is one. I find the power just fine. Infact I really havent needed more power. What altitude were you running at? That can make a huge diffrence, I was up to 10K and no problems. Also sugar snow or popcorn snow is hell on any snowcat. You know your in it when you grab some in your hands and squeeze real hard. If it doesnt compress and pours out like sugar then it doesnt matter what kind of cat your in! Who did you buy your super imp from? Is it a wide track?

cabinboy

I bought it from Bill at snotrans . The elevation is @8400ft were I was operating at and the snow was @30inches of powder with sugar under it.Yes it is a wide track also.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Everything has a hard time with traction in sugar snow. I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT. 8,400' is nothing. Did Bill do a tune up on it. Plugs replaced ect? If not I would do one and replace the hoses and belts before your next trip. How many hours on the unit?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Doesn't sound like proper performance from the engine ... imps have such great float that I'd expect what you're describing out of a Trackmaster...not an Imp/SImp. I'd give Bill a call to get the history on it and ensure it was tested and prepped... especially given it's a 2-pass and the photos don't show you're loading it up.

cabinboy

It has about 2700 hours on it . I rebuilt the carb on it dumped all of the old gas , changed all of the gas filters and replaced the oil pump because the pressure was low @25psi. @45 now. I did some carb ajusting and it did seem to help . ajusted the screw on the bottom to @3 turns out and it seemed to help. I hope you are not right about the compression, that motor looks like a pain to pull. It was not loaded at all one cooler and one big dog and the operator , mostly up and down country not flat. Snowcat ops. do you know what the compression is supposed to be for this motor 200 ci 1978 .thanks

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
How is the inside of the fuel tank? Is it loaded down with rust. Ive had this problem on one of my older cats. I replaced the fuel filter and started the cat up. Then it suddenly started loosing power. The more I drove it the more power I lost. Finally I realized there was a rea; problem again. So I pulled the tank and sure as shit it was full of crude. Flushed out with diesel the reflushed with bearings nuts washers and diesel. I shook it on a home made rocker. Flushed with diesel again and no more problems!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
if you were unloaded then I cant see you getting down to the sugar snow at 30". Something doesnt sound right. But thats why we are here.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
As far as pulling the engine from a super imp it should be pretty easy. Just unbolt the cab from the floor pan. I think its 8 bolts.. The whole upper cab will then simply come off. Pull the engine cover, seats and theres the engine.

cabinboy

The fuel tank is a plastic one , I could see that it was clean just full of old fuel dumped it and replaced with new. accelerator pump in carb. was stuck so carb kit helped that, the rest was clean . When I stopped inthe snow and got out the snow was even with the top of the tracks it was fresh powder.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1450 Imp has tall gearing which makes it feel like it needs more power. I live at 9800' and my 1450 has no use for 3rd gear unless it's on level hard surface or going downhill. Maybe Sno-ops machine has a lower ring/pinion ratio than ours do, Cabinboy. Does anyone else with high altitude Super Imp experience care to chime in? One thing about the Clifford aluminum intake manifold. I had one on a 258 Jeep engine and found that in cold weather the engine would miss and sputter until completely and fully warmed up.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Fresh powder like that and up to the top of your tracks is deep stuff. That would make you feel like your swimming. Just send your carb into someone who knows how to rebuild one if you dont. I just sent the carb in om my 1202 since I really dont know the fine nuances of rebuilding carbs. Its better to let the real talented people do this since someones life may depend on it being done right. My VW carbs are another matter. But anything else is not for me. I wouldnt worry about the swimming feeling since your cat really was! Power should have been just fine though. I too have a Super Imp and my automatic works great. That may be the real problem here.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Fresh powder like that and up to the top of your tracks is deep stuff. That would make you feel like your swimming. Just send your carb into someone who knows how to rebuild one if you dont. I just sent the carb in om my 1202 since I really dont know the fine nuances of rebuilding carbs. Its better to let the real talented people do this since someones life may depend on it being done right. My VW carbs are another matter. But anything else is not for me. I wouldnt worry about the swimming feeling since your cat really was! Power should have been just fine though. I too have a Super Imp and my automatic works great. That may be the real problem here.

Where did you send it? I have a pict-4 that needs a good going over.

cabinboy

What about buying a rebuilt carb. from NAPA would that be just as good. Mntcrawler yes 3rd gear does not get used much except for down hill and packed flat trails in 3rd gear she powers out easy with any littke hill , I will find out more on my next trip.

Last edited: