• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Midwest Cat Clowder in Michigan Feb 6 & 7

Bait Guy

I'll help with transportation, I drive real close to MSP going over there, so next year just "hang your leg out" and I'll stop and pick you up!!!!!!!!!!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, I feel the travel pain, Offers of assistance have been extended to me, so here is mine:
Transportation:
Fly over here, I will deliver a car at the airport, You insure it but it would be yours to use. (Green bay, Wausau preferred, But MSP would be easy with a little notice)
Snow cat
I had a different operators in the snow cats all weekend long, Hell I only saw Sean drive that cute little powder horn tucker a couple times.
Lodging
The entire powder horn village has rental opportunities for singles to large groups, our house gained people all weekend, I am sure to have a bigger house next year.

I would be cat sucking at the meow If I could find a way to get out of four days of lecturing here....

Good day Jim and others, Another thing just occurred to me.

WE had two fully functional machines that remained seated in the expose' area.

Sadly the machines were Fully functioning and were lacking and experienced operator to safely navigate the Slopes.

Machine One was a KT-4 Kristy.
Machine Two was a Early thiokol Spryte which also is known as a 201.

Actually there was another tucker that was stuck and could not get and operator.....

Granted it was stuck in the freezer, but just the same we could not get an operator to take it out on the slopes for the Saturday night ride.

Jinn, I am quite confident you provided the inspiration for this creation.....

It was delicious.

Attachments

• DSCN0664sm.jpg
    DSCN0664sm.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 0207151846sm.jpg
    0207151846sm.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 304

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There was a reverse only moment..

In addition to the hammer there were parts of trailer hitches, chains, fire wood and persistence.

I am trying to get sean on Ff He is out of freebie visits so He needs to make a user name then come on and explain it in tucker terms. I was able to offer some opinion on the trail about whether the issue was inside the diff or out side.

The only hint I can confidently offer is half link.

Black Sheep will be along shortly to explain it in his own words. Welcome Sean!

Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 343 and 342 models were made in the mid '60's. Shorter tracks 18X76 instead of 18X84. Weight 3300 to 3900 lbs.Check out "tye one on" machine at Leavenworth.

That is pretty funny (and goes back to your comment about how proportional Tucker keeps their vehicles). :whistling:

I've looked at Tye One On's picture umpteen times and never made the close observation that the pontoons were smaller. And I had always assumed it had a rear door and his luggage rack was mounted in a receiver hitch, not hard mounted to the rear.:ermm:

Any idea on how many of the 3 series may have moved thru the plant?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is really interesting to see the 4 series and three series parked side by side.

When we lined up the machines, I slipped a Snow trac next to the powder horn rig (3 series), I was chased right out to allow the 3-4 series machines to be together. the scale of the machines is pleasing. (learning moment for me)

The joke of the day was from the Guy with the Fox hat, When he got back from operating the sedan, he exclaimed "I would be easier to get at my pack of cigarettes in there if they were in YOUR pocket"......

Attachments

• DSCN0655sm.jpg
    DSCN0655sm.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 264

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
That is pretty funny (and goes back to your comment about how proportional Tucker keeps their vehicles). :whistling:

I've looked at Tye One On's picture umpteen times and never made the close observation that the pontoons were smaller. And I had always assumed it had a rear door and his luggage rack was mounted in a receiver hitch, not hard mounted to the rear.:ermm:

Any idea on how many of the 3 series may have moved thru the plant?

which 3 series tuckers are you asking about, tucker used the 3 hundred numbering three different times, starting in 1949 and building only one machine, a 321 torpedo with canopy and then in................

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
which 3 series tuckers are you asking about, tucker used the 3 hundred numbering three different times, starting in 1949 and building only one machine, a 321 torpedo with canopy and then in................

The 34* series like the Powderhorn unit above.

black sheep

I have to emphasize how this event could not come together with out Matt and Bruce. My family and I can hardly wait to see you all again. The 343a had a little issue with two pieces of metal fighting until several tools separated them enough. I think I hit a rock or piece of metal in St. Germain so the grouser and pontoon shield got into it.
I was told by Steve from Track Inc there were approximately 75 3 series made and only about 15 left. A lot were parts out for 400 machines.
I would also like to thank Dave and the rest of the Arrowhead group for the grooming show.
Good luck on your Snow Cat adventures
Sean:clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAVENET,

You need to come to the clowder next year and take a long look at Copper Point. I am not kidding you at all that at first blush it looks too frickin tall to be a ski jump... I have been at a 90 meter hill before, and imediately I knew this was WAAAAYYYY bigger than that. No comparison really. I believe 520+ ft is the unofficial longest jump there... Walk out to the break over of the hill, and well, I never did see a line down the face. Too steep to walk out there for me anyway.. Not to mention it's a very long way down.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple photos of the Copper Peak. formerly known as copper point.

I the photo from the top of the judging booth our tow rigs look insignificant

Photo of the clowder host Big Powder horn

Daunting view up the ski jump

Attachments

• DSC02164 (Small).JPG
    DSC02164 (Small).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC02165 (Small).JPG
    DSC02165 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 459
  • DSC02166 (Small).JPG
    DSC02166 (Small).JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC02167 (Small).JPG
    DSC02167 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 464

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...n-New-Hampshire-only-ski-6076788.php?cmpid=fb

My buddy jumped in high school at Newport. This jump (30m) was at Lake Placid before they built the 70m & 90m jumps for the Olympics, then moved to Newport in 1978. It was the biggest jump he did in high school. His son (10) has been taking jump lessons at Proctor Academy in Andover for a couple of years and went from the 32m level (extended a couple of years ago) during the winter carnival, effectively surpassing dad! I've been up there and I can definitely say no frickin way.

I showed him the ski flying ramp and he says "sure, why not?"

AwHellSnow

Glad I was able to attend the 1st Clowder Event at Big Powderhorn. What a wonderful group of generous people. So many Unique machines. The trail ride had beautiful
scenery throughout the forest but the view of Lake Superior from the Bluff was Gorgeous! Big thanks to all who helped in the setting this up and participating. Looking forward to next year.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad I was able to attend the 1st Clowder Event at Big Powderhorn. What a wonderful group of generous people. So many Unique machines. The trail ride had beautiful
scenery throughout the forest but the view of Lake Superior from the Bluff was Gorgeous! Big thanks to all who helped in the setting this up and participating. Looking forward to next year.

Welcome to the forum.

I am the driver of the Green Imp that had people jumping out the back when we navigated the Switch back down to the Broken Ice......

Aw Hells now
Miek

cootbruce

Last year a film crew came to Powderhorn while they were preparing Copper Peak for a extreme skier who was going to jump off of Copper Peak. They were waiting for the weather to improve. Also, the local college has a ski area managment program and have a winch cat. The cat was being used to prep the landing at Copper Peak. ( my son and a couple of his friends, slide backwards down the landing in the cat when the cable broke.....but that is another story) Most of you know how big Copper Peak is, and it is hard to imagine going off of it.....well....look at the teaser for the extreme skier video and you will realize just how crazy the extreme skiers are becoming........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkXtjwDYZmY

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy hell, did that dude have a snow board and a parachute on?

I bet that there was some tension in the cab of the snow cat. when that cable let go...

When we were unloading, there were a group of uneasy snowmobilers there, they were looking at us and we were looking at them.... I doubt these guys did it, but there were attempts by snowmobiles up the landing, they did not fair so well by observing the single strips up and the thump thump thump marks down..

Unless of course they rolled them up and rode the machine down ;-)

undy

Good video! For some interesting insight into extreme skiing, watch this video of Andreas Fransson and see some of the descents he made. https://vimeo.com/47973421

Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen when you're doing this stuff. The guy had a great attitude.

Speaking personally, if I die in my ski boots then I win.

AwHellSnow

Thanks for sharing Bruce, that is beyond Extreme!
After being up close myself. I cannot not imagine.....Holy Snikies!! Would love to hear
the story about the broken cable........

Patroller

I finally patched a video together and posted it on youtube. Sure wish I had more footage, but the trees got in the way. It was exciting to have so many great machines and such wonderful folks visit again. Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent with us.
Steve Carr
https://youtu.be/1xI4zeldInw

Note: if the video quality is poor, click on the little gear icon in the lower right corner and change the quality to 1080 or 720.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
!!WOW!! looks like everyone had a great time!,great pictures, now if we only had snow here:sad: we got about 1" of snow here,not much fun in snowcats here this winter:sad: hopefully we got some coming.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Y9riCoJ7k"]Skier Spins off 24-story Ski Jump…Backwards - YouTube[/ame]

I know it is May, and the snow is long gone here. I stumbled upon this You Tube of Copper Peak and a skier who dared to try it. :smile:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did..

Spring may be here, but I know that winter is coming sooner or later..

Regards, Kirk

undy

Kirk,

Wow. Huevos Grandes for sure.

Scary at the end there. One lucky kid to be walking away!!

Thanks a ton for posting that video.

Paul