• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dang it!...

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
…And sorry for the ramble.:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
Bass boat broke down (turned out to be bad fuel line) on the way back to the loading ramp after watching local fireworks Sunday night. Able to use the trolling motor to get about 1/2 mile to the nearest docks (which were about 75 yards from the local city police station - any port in a storm as they say). Truck/trailer were about a mile from the docks. Nice walk with my Sweetie.

I was all set to go on a 3 day fishing trip the next morning so had all my tackle and rods aboard. Stored all my gear in the lockers and made sure everything was locked. Checking the storage bins that are not lockable before leaving I realized I left my gps/fishfinder and a spare fishfinder unsecured so decided to just take them with me rather than fighting the locks again. I was brought up to not touch things that don’t belong to me but I know not everyone lives that way. Usually a lock is sufficient to keep people honest. If not, a lock wouldn’t stop them anyway.
Came back the next morning to find the lockers were busted open – 5 tackle boxes, my and my sons rods (8), and reels (10), 4 planer boards (new in the package) everything fishing related was gone. In addition 1 (of 3) 12 volt trolling motor battery was liberated and missing. Luckily the trolling motor is bolted in place…well, actually it’s just a matter of loosening a wing nut but they evidently didn’t know that. Didn’t mess with life jackets, sunscreen, wrenches, raingear, or anything other than fishing equipment…even took the cheapo fish finder that came with the boat. They ripped it and the mounting plate off the dash because they didn’t know enough to press the release button.

I knew that put an end to my fishing trip – the first in ~3 years. After the initial “**** Me!” and looking everything over, I was just glad they didn’t piss in the gas, pull the drain plug, or set it adrift.

Trying to determine the type of thief and thought behind it (too much TV I suppose) I attempted to put things into perspective:
Kids? Took a bit of force to break into the lockers; and the items taken were mainly fishing equipment – stuff kids couldn’t use (like the planer boards). Also happened between 1:00 am and 6:30 am.
Older kids/young men? Looking for stuff they can pawn? This is my guess. And why only 1 battery? I think maybe someone came along (police?) and scared them off…or maybe actually caught them! Guess I better file a report tomorrow – maybe the cops are just waiting for me to come in and claim my stuff (yeah, right). I had decided to just call it a loss and start over till my wife reminded me of the fillet knife in one of the tackle boxes - It was special made for me with my name engraved on it. Hopefully no-one will turn up with it stuck in them before I get in to file a report.

On the plus side I learned a lot about myself and how I have changed over the past few years. Not that long ago I would have been hiding in the bushes for the next week waiting for someone to show up with some of my stuff. Now, I hope whoever stole my stuff needed it – and will use it. As much as I would like to teach them a lesson ( I go overboard in my thought of punishment…personally I don’t think they deserve the chance to do this to someone else) I’m thankful they didn’t trash the boat, and that I have the means to replace it over then next year or so.

I am now in the market for several rods and reels.
My youngest (in the Air Force) is coming home the end of this month for a couple weeks before being shipped to Germany. We planned to go to Canada fishing – always been his dream. Without equipment we will only be sight seeing.
I am not looking for freebies or junk. I will be buying at least 5 rods and 7 reels to be ready for walleye and pike. (I lost 3 downrigger rods/reels but can replace those later.) If anyone has anything in their “been thinkin’ about sellin’ closet that fits what I’m lookin’ for please PM me with what it is, condition, and price.

Thanks!

Rick

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
That's enough to piss off a preacher!
I've no fishing gear what so ever, but I can definetly share in the theft itself. I've had many belongings ripped off right under my nose, barn entered, house entered, trucks entered, tooltrailer entered.
You must be much mellower than myself though, I'm still on the lookout after 3 years for the $3K worth of tools that were taken out of my trailer. I even still hope that whoever ripped me off on that account, doesn't know how to use the tools anyway, and injures themselves severely.
Unfortunately, when stuff like yours get stolen, the cops don't have a lot other than kids talking to they're buddies, and sometimes one of them knows you, and tips you off. That happened to me with a handgud once.

Are you planning on the Southern or Northern route to Canada? If the southern, you might stop off at Cabelas on 23 and M50. It'll be a little out of your way, but also about 20 miles from me. I feel for ya man. It sucks.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rick,

That does stink...

My guess would be younger kids. Maybe 12-14. Old enough to recognize some things of value but not smart enough to think through it. An older person would have gone for the trolling motor well before grabbing a battery. I think they stopped at one battery after realizing its weight vs. its value (and you may find it in the weeds nearby).

I would consider calling around to some parents you know and may have trustworthy kids. Kids can't keep a secret very well and may brag about the theft to their friends. Maybe one of the more upstanding kids may tell his parents (especially if you through in a little reward). During the school year, it normally only takes a couple days to find the culprits of a theft or prank as it spreads quickly through the school. It's a little slower/harder during the summer.

Brian

P

Pigtails

Boy, it never ceases to amaze me. Everyday you hear of stuff like this. Sorry about the loss of all of your stuff. :mad: We have been lucky. I made the mistake of forgetting to lock my vehicle door while I went into a motel to off load my suitcases. Came back about 1/2 hr later and some kids had got in and taken my junk change and little stuff out of the center along with all my CDs. Good thing they didn't look in the very back of my SUV. I had bought a new helmet worth over $300.00 for my husband. I also had an extra ignition key in the center consul they didn't even use it..Thank goodness. Well, all will work out, it always does. I'm a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around"..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That really bites Rick. Sorry about your misfortune.

The Weds before my vacation started (a few years ago) I had our boat in the water and ready to go. I got a call from the Damn Master saying he had a boat registered to me in one of his locks. He had looked me up from the registration numbers. Some low lifes stole the boat from our dock. It appeared they had tried to start it (wires pulled out everywhere), but they could not get it started so they tried to sink it...or they just wanted to sink our boat. They actually shot a hole in the bottom of it. :eek:
I had just topped off the gas tank, and that kept her afloat, but upside down. The boat was totaled. I remember that day all to well. I empathize with you.
Hopefully insurance will cover part of the loss?

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean alot.
As far as insurance - not likely. All my toys are insured thru my business and I carry a high enough deductible that it's really not worth the hassle, not to mention the increased premiums in the future.

Thanks again.

P

Pigtails

Grooming Snow said:
I also had an extra ignition key in the center consul!:horsepoop:

:whistle: Where In Wyoming? Did you say you lived Pigtails ? :pat:

In the North western part of WY. Yep I was lucky to have my vehicle still there.. Are you making fun of my spelling????lol console......

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd been ready to beat the $#$% out of whoever did this. My house was broken into years ago, kids, cops knew who they were but could not do anything to them.............. Their lousy scum parents lived next door. Lost several valuable rings, one left to me by an uncle as a name sake. I told thier dad, when I find them I will cut the finger that wears that ring, then beat them half to dead. He just told me not to be too mad..............what the f#@. I wanted to beat him right there. He knew his kids were the scum, and he knew he was of the worst class of bastard that ever walked on earth

Couple of weeks later I saw a leather jacket on one of the little bastards, talking to some lousy scum in a caddy.................... Dirt bag little scum, I hope they get caught someday and spend their entire life in prison on bread and water. They dont deserve ANYTHING but a miserable life.

In your case I would have had to get some finger prints etc. Then hoped like hell they would someday need my help.....................not a chance in hell of that happening. I can not stand a theif, they are the scum of earth. If you cant have what you want, then dont touch what you dont own.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"If you cant have what you want, then dont touch what you dont own."

Yep. That's the way I was raised and a value I tried to instill in my kids. Seems to have worked so far...

The compartment covers that do not have locks require reaching into a slot applying pressure with your finger tips. I have "preserved the integrity" of that area in case the police want to lift prints. Not likely, but ya just never know.

I used to feel as you do, and if it were the sanctity of my home that was violated I'm sure I would. I can't sweat the small stuff. I'd like to have the person(s) (if caught) be required to come out and help bale hay on my farm...but with the morals they have they would probably find something to sue me over.:pat:

Grooming Snow

:burp: Man I am so happy to live on a dead end road :a1: 1/2 mile in & 1/2 mile out and a pretty good shot, and what helps it the road ain't straight so they can't get to much speed :whistle: And when they ask dose the dog bite we just say I don't know lets see if he will:thumb:
If some one need some thing I will help them out,:confused2: But to out right just take some thing that ain't yours, well them they need to be taken out back and you may need to have a little talk with them :clubem: :batterUp:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Update:

Filed police report - they assured me they wouldn't spend any amount of time looking for my stuff, but will notify me if something turns up.
:wave:

Thought I'd check the local pawn shops during my lunch break. While there I ran into an older couple (mid 70's) who are very good friends of ours. They have been our bowling partners on a winter league for 9 years.
They were at the pawn shop for the same reason I was...They just got home from a month long vacation visiting a daughter in Maine...and their home had been broken into. All the valuable stuff was gone. TV's, computer, coin collection, air compressor, tools, jewelry, etc.
They had slightly better luck than I - the pawn shop had some of their stuff and turned a list over to the police showing the name and all the items he had brought in.
I say "slightly better luck" because even though they might get some/most of their stuff back...the person that sold it to the pawn shop was their 24 year old Grandson...the one they had raised since he was 1 year old.

:batterUp:

Just when I thought I had it rough they come along and show me how lucky I really am!